PDA

View Full Version : 15K core aerate and overseed ?

Mike821
03-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I have a 15K lawn that needs to be core aerated and overseeded. What should I be charging for this? I am renting as I dont own the equipment. ($65 for the aerator and $75 for the overseeder) Also what should my rate of seeding be for the job. 4-5lb per 1K....??

Any help would be a big help....Thanks guys!

JB1
03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
did you already bid this? I mean wow.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-20-2011, 09:42 PM
did you already bid this? I mean wow. what I said to wow:hammerhead:

Mike821
03-20-2011, 10:14 PM
I meant to say I am paying for the rental at a rate by the day...65 for the core aerator and 75 for the overseeder. I am looking for a rate to charge for 15K for aerating and overseeding. Aerating is ...... and overseeding is.... per ?K.

Does that clear things up? I did not bid on the job yet.

lawn king
03-21-2011, 05:40 AM
Sub out the aeration, you dont want to core aerate 15 acres with a wb!

humble1
03-21-2011, 08:12 AM
He said 15k not 15 acres
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
03-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Hahahaha, 15 Acres, $65, $75... Aeration... Lots of meaningless random thots running through this thread :laugh:

Not sure why people aerate in the Spring, but you should be able to knock off the whole thing in a few hours... Including seed and windshield time looks like $300 minimum just to get started... I'd do it for $5-600...

Be very sure that no pre-m gets thrown on that ground until the new grass is well underway...

OrganicsMaine
03-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Hahahaha, 15 Acres, $65, $75... Aeration... Lots of meaningless random thots running through this thread :laugh:

Not sure why people aerate in the Spring, but you should be able to knock off the whole thing in a few hours... Including seed and windshield time looks like $300 minimum just to get started... I'd do it for $5-600...

Be very sure that no pre-m gets thrown on that ground until the new grass is well underway...

I agree, $5-600 for this. Probably a 1/2 day max depending on the current condition of the lawn. I did one last fall that had been ruined by grubs....lots of thatch....approx. $900 for 20k. Looked great by the end of Oct.

Will be adding pics this spring.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-21-2011, 05:25 PM
$500-$600 bucks sounds good to me.

You should think about doing it in the fall tho.

f50lvr2
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I'd be around $550 so $500-$600 sounds good. Unfortunately your rentals are going to bite into your profits.

Mike821
03-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys! Yes the rentals will suck...but since I currently don't have a place for anymore machines..:) I have to suck up the cost. If they break down...I just get another. I found a tow behind core aerator for 85 a day. That bad boy cuts the time in half. I also have three other jobs I can knock out that day saving me some $$$.

I will suggest to the home owner to preform the seeding in the fall. The aerating I can preform now...I will just patch some of the bald spost they have to make them happy. I am thinking around 225 for the aerating. Does this sound in line?

Thanks again for the input. It is going to be a good year.....!

OrganicsMaine
03-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys! Yes the rentals will suck...but since I currently don't have a place for anymore machines..:) I have to suck up the cost. If they break down...I just get another. I found a tow behind core aerator for 85 a day. That bad boy cuts the time in half. I also have three other jobs I can knock out that day saving me some $$$.

I will suggest to the home owner to preform the seeding in the fall. The aerating I can preform now...I will just patch some of the bald spost they have to make them happy. I am thinking around 225 for the aerating. Does this sound in line?

Thanks again for the input. It is going to be a good year.....!

You need to aerate and get that seed down asap. In your area, the cg will take over quickly. Because of this, I would personally hold off on aerating....unless it is really bad....spot seed as needed, and then hit them up for a major renovation in the late summer/early fall.

THIESSENS TLC
03-26-2011, 02:16 AM

when is the best time to aerate? so if you overseed, dont put down pre-em
for about a month? im just curious.

JFGauvreau
03-26-2011, 07:59 AM
I would definitely try to rent a garden tractor with a tow behind core aerator 36inch wide. You will be sore as f*** after you finish 15k with a walk behind aerator. How is the land? All straight lines or a lot of obstacles? Steep grade or flat ground?

I would try to get 400+ just for the aeration alone, it would take me 3-4 hours to finish the job with a walk behind, depending on the ground.

Smallaxe
03-26-2011, 09:17 AM
when is the best time to aerate? so if you overseed, dont put down pre-em
for about a month? im just curious.

For my way of thinking, aerating right after the heat of summer passes, when the grass is actively growing again and setting itself up for winter... Here there is no need for pre-m and even the broadleaf control is 6 weeks into the future... Seeds germinate quicker at that time because the ground is warm...

Planting seed is different from aerating... Somehow those two items got mixed together... there are much better seedbeds than aeration...

15k is not too much to do... I remember last fall I had to do 3 or 4 lawns, compost then finish off the day with 15k of lawn in amongst too many trees... I usually do break it into 2 days, but if all I had was the 15k, no problem... :)

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-26-2011, 09:30 AM
15K is same as 15,000sqft should only take you 1 hr with a walk behind and seed it looking at 75-120