PDA

View Full Version : Request: Operations Manual

umsco226
03-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I've had a tough time explaining the necessary procedure to my employees. I'm not sure if that says more about my management skills, or about my employees ability to follow instructions.

But regardless, I've decided to write an Operations Manual for procedures and steps required at the job site, with equipment, etc.

I'm not referring to an employee handbook, where I explain things like workplace harassment, and PPE and such, I've already got one of those.

I am referring to a manual that explains the steps that they need to do on certain jobs.

Anyways, I've got some ideas in my head, but I'm having a really tough time structuring it, and finding enough information to write about. I would really appreciate if someone was willing to send me theirs as a rough outline to get me started. I'd be willing to pay if necessary, I just need to get the ball rolling.

umsco226
03-21-2011, 02:18 AM
...bump?
Sorry to be that guy.

DiscoDave
03-22-2011, 12:49 AM
.... I'd be willing to pay if necessary, I just need to get the ball rolling.

I have been thinking about putting together and selling a training manual for this very reason.... How much would you (and other folks) be willing to pay for a comprehensive manual that includes a workbook and tests?

zimmatic
01-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Dave,

have you developed that manual? Or have a form of it? Willing to provide a copy for a fee?

Duekster
01-03-2013, 07:48 AM
So you want how to run a line trimmer 101?

TurfWerks
01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
This type of stuff isn't rocket science.. Or... maybe it is...??

What kind of stuff are you wanting to provide instructions for? Planing shrubs or pushing a lawn mower?? Maybe spraying?

Most of that stuff just requires proper training... if they don't get it after that they are not able to be helped.. just sayin..

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
It's not rocket science but if you want an efficient business you need to put training manuals in place. I am writing it ALL down over this winter. From how to trim, to how to shut down a mower, when to fuel up the truck, etc. It will go a long way to keeping everyone on the same page and know what is expected of them. As you grow, your workers can train new guys from the manuals. Even some videos would help too. It's not going to be perfect. Anything is better than nothing and you can tweak it as you go. It's a new endeavor for me to, but I'm excited. Also doing a list of responsibilities for each position, so it's not "did anyone check the oil today?" "We are running out of mower blades"...."anyone seen this tool or that?"...

Jason

ELS Landscape
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
I think equipment inspection check list and logs would go a long way.

I have two guys that speak english pretty well. One reads pretty fair the other does not. One has very poor english but I think he understands more than he lets on. :D

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Good help is hard to come by but everyone speaks English up here ...maybe a little Canadian accent but that's as bad as it gets lol

ELS Landscape
01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
My help is fine. They are screened through ICE. I even did an independent audit with a verification letter.
Two of my guys have over 20 years of experiance each. They have been with me over 7 years.

Just saying that investing in a huge written manual is not always the best solution.

zimmatic
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
The main reason for the operations manual is "clarity" . If you are not going to follow through on what you write down than its all a waste of time, and for all the time wasted on continually going over procedures and process I need to get this done as the business has grown. That is why I asked dave if he had developed it

neighborguy
01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
If you are in ELSs position where you have had the same guys for 7 years, a manual as detailed as this sounds like it will be may not be quite as necessary. I would think if you have a higher rate of turnover you may find a manual like this a huge help.
That being said I do not think something like this would be a good idea for everyone to have to clarify the details.

TurfWerks
01-05-2013, 01:22 PM
I've never encountered a operations Manuel and I've worked for a pretty big company..

I think it's more of a proper training issue with a check list while u train would be better..
Posted via Mobile Device

McFarland_Lawn_Care
01-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Also depends on how big you plan on becoming. Employees need clear guidelines and responsibilities. The BEST business have processes for everything and are most efficient. If the business is going to stay relatively small, it probably isn't necessary, but often requires a lot more hands on work by the owner and management.

Jason

zimmatic
01-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Mcfarland imo is corect
I like to start out some meetings and asking employee's how to make kool aid. Very simple but do you know how many really do not know exactly how to make kool aid?--- all of them! That is why there is instructions on the back of every package.
Its the same at my business. Just because you came to my company from another company where all you did was mow, or trim, or install irrgation or whatever it does not mean you know how to perform those functions as I require at my business. Yes I would train you, but what if you wanted to go over the the exact procedures I talked about during training? The operations manual would provide that clarity, along with a standard in which I expect them to perform.