PDA

View Full Version : spreading compost

avguy
03-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Just curious if anyone has ever tried spreading compost with something like this. If you were trying to cover a couple acres using/renting a top dresser might be cost prohibitive. If you had access to a front end loader you could dump small piles over the area then run the rake over it. Why wouldn't it work?

http://www.yorkmodern.com/catalog/model-rake-category-pi-31.html

Smallaxe
03-21-2011, 08:53 AM
Just get a "Newerspreader" which is a small manure spreader that can be run with a lawn tractor... 2 acres of compost is a lot, and I wouldn't want to be running all over it with a frontend loader of any kind... The resulting compaction would likely do more harm than the compost would do good... :)

avguy
03-21-2011, 01:06 PM
I actually called the Newer Spreader guy last fall & left a message but never received a return call. At the time I wanted a spreader that would handle both compost as well as top soil. It looked like it might have been fine for manure but not so much with compost or top soil.

I actually have a sub cut JD with a small front end loader as well as JD's version of the York rake. The rake has gauge wheels. I'm unsure how well the compost will spread......ie will it clump up or does it break down pretty good. If I had to, I have a chain harrow I could drag arounf after using the landscape rake to smooth it maybe a little more.

Or maybe I'm way out in left field on this............

RigglePLC
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
Too much labor, two day project. See ICT Organics on this page, click above. He can help you. You need a product that is easy to spread, high in organic matter, with good slow-release nitrogen. Done in an easy hour. (With a ride-on). Hey I am optimistic.

avguy
03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks Riggle. I've left Bill at ICT a message. And this stuff is as good or better than regular compost?