PDA

View Full Version : Killing lawn with roundup then reseeding - - what about all the dead weeds?

Tyler7692
03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
If I spray the entire lawn with roundup and wait the recommended time before reseeding, what am I to do with all the dead weeds and grass in the lawn? Just slice seed right over them?

I understand if its really thick with thatch to dethatch first, but its pretty thin.

THEGOLDPRO
03-21-2011, 01:46 PM
If I spray the entire lawn with roundup and wait the recommended time before reseeding, what am I to do with all the dead weeds and grass in the lawn? Just slice seed right over them?

I understand if its really thick with thatch to dethatch first, but its pretty thin.

how big is the yard?

ron mexico75
03-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Couldn't you just scalp it after they died?

RigglePLC
03-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Mexico is right. Kill it. Scalp it low. Sock-on starter fert. Slit seed. And water water water.

Puttinggreens
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
We have gone this route many times.

Leave the weeds, what is left of their roots help hold the soil in place until the new grass roots take over.

If you chew the lawn up well enough, whether slice seeding or aerating, the weeds will not be a problem. We don't even bother to scalp it and have had great results.

Once the existing lawn is dead you can seed immediately. We typically spray generic roundup, wait 10 days, spot spray any remaining plants and begin aeration almost immediately, sometimes the same day.