PDA

View Full Version : Specific Mulch and Edging Itemization on Estimate Questions???

Buddha92SLC
03-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm entering my 5th year in business and I seem to be getting almost all the mulch install jobs I bid. That is great because it keeps me busy and gets my name out there, but I'm wondering if I'm not charging enough. When I typically bid a job I itemize everything so that my customers know what they are getting charged for. For example

Cost of Mulch Material = $30 cu. yd. (Avg price for mulch in eastern PA)
Delivery = $50 (Avg price of what I've paid in the past few yrs)
Mulch Installation = $35 per cu. yd (used to charge $30 but thought it was too cheap)
Flower bed edging with bed edger = $0.50 per linear ft.
Flower bed edging with spade = $1.00 (I think this is too low because of the amount of time it takes to do it properly)
Machine Rental = $53 day

My questions are...

Are you fellow owners putting the cost of the mulch material and labor to install in one price?

Do you charge separately for flower bed edging, or does the $65 for mulch material and installation include the edging?

Should I take a hit and absorb the cost of the rental? I will typically schedule a bunch of flower bed edging jobs on the same day so I can charge each customer less for the rental.

Thanks in advance!
Zac

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
03-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Mulch $95 delivered and installed. Edging $1.25 per foot we hand edge and remove all edging.
Posted via Mobile Device

lukemelo216
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
We dont go into that much detail.

Ours is this

Hardwood Brown Mulch (CY Installed) 5 yards $60.00 $300.00
Flower Bed Edging (Per Linear Foot) 200 feet $1.10 $220.00

This is in a spread sheet so its all nice and organized and the headings state service, quantity, unit price, total price.

FLCthes4:11-12
03-21-2011, 08:41 PM
I wish I could get ya'lls install prices on mulch. I just had 30yds black delivered for $20 per yard. Wish I could get $90 a yard installed.

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Hell don't we all wish we could get 90 a install. Best I can do is about 65 installed
Posted via Mobile Device

Buddha92SLC
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
So most of you keep the edging costs of the flower beds seperate from the mulch?

TurnerLawn&Landscape
03-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Heres how my invoice would look:

5-----Yards of Double Shredded Died Black Mulch-------$60--------------$300
Labor ------$250------------$250

I only itemized materials, or rentals. Delivery fee is including in the labor cost and markup of mulch. I never disclose amount of hours pertaining to labor unless I am asked. I used to list exactly how many hours and @ what rate, but the invoices i was getting from service industry companies weren't disclosing their hourly rates, so now im not either.

Be sure to include if you are proposing an estimate, that the price you are giving them IS ONLY AN ESTIMATE AND MAYBE SUBJECT TO CHANGE!

Mahoney3223
03-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I wish I could get ya'lls install prices on mulch. I just had 30yds black delivered for $20 per yard. Wish I could get $90 a yard installed.

No sh*t! Around here we get around 50 installed

JUCUSLANDSCAPES
03-23-2011, 12:20 PM
I would never charge under $75 a yard, $75 is almost unheard of but some folks don't prefer an edged look.... With manual edging (using spade shovel leaving a VERY CRISP EDGE), removal of weeds and any debris I charge $100 per yard up to 20 Yards. Then it will go down from there.... Another way of going about it is this, I was just given this suggestion from another large company in my area: In addition to costs per day (labor, materials, etc...) add another $600-800 so your company is clearing that much a day. That is what I will be using for my 45 yd job I'm currently working on. I'm located in Baltimore, Md

RGM
03-23-2011, 02:46 PM
I add 10 per yard to the of mulch and charge 50 per from the time i get to the yard to pick up mulch till I'm done

yardatwork
03-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I'm in Western PA and I charge $45 for delivery up to 5 yards (on my trailer). Mulch cost is $30 (pure bark mulch) and $50-$65 per each yard spread. As for edging...I charge $.50-$1.00 per foot. $1.00 for new edges with a shovel and less if I'm using a stick edger to redefine the existing edge.

You need to up your install price. But...if you're getting all the jobs and find that you're making nice money, don't increase too much.

Dr.NewEarth
03-25-2011, 12:18 AM
Hello, I'm making the rounds on this site. How come I haven't found any girls yet.

I keep all of the little costs of the estimate to myself. The client doesn't need to know how much every screw will cost. I say give them a package price.

If I can pick up the product myself, I add my hourly rate maybe even
the same amount the delivery truck would cost me.

I can give details in the estimate such as where the product is going to be installed, how deep the mulch is, how many flats or pots of annuals, colour scheme, fertilizing, liming, clean-up and that all tools and supplies to complete the job in a professional manner will be supplied...I think that's all o.k. Give them enough information so that they feel empowered, but don't tell them every-thing.

We use the B.C. Landscape Standard for our specs, and add that in there too.
It's used by the landscape architects and members of the BC Landscape, Nursery
Association and others, so there are standards followed in every aspect of
hard and soft landscaping, tree care and landscape development designs in this province.

we get our stuff wholesale and I would like to be able to mark it up in the final price
I don't let the client know what any wholesale price is ever!

Years ago I used to put togeather a shopping list presentation with pictures and diagrams and every-thing to impress the clients.
People would say, "leave the estimate with me and I'll get back to you"
They can then use your list and designs and get the brother in law to do the work.

I say make it look great, but don't tell them every-thing.

I went back to school for this fifteen years ago and I am still learning every day.

By the way, up here if you do a design get paid up front. Don't let them look it over on the weekend.
The builders lien act only applies if you do some physical thing to the property.