PDA

View Full Version : My post cards- comments?

JFGauvreau
03-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I will be sending around 2.5k of those 4"X6" post cards pretty soon, would like to know your inputs.

I had to re size the image so that it wold let me post it, the width has shrunk a bit.

Trying to keep it simple but yet attractive, this is the front view btw.

GreenI.A.
03-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I like it, simple and to the point. I don't like the "front lawn only" what if its a house close to the street with a 500 sq ft front and 10k back or just the oposite the house is set back with barely any turf in back but here is 15k of grass out front? I would simply put *restrictions apply, call for details. or I would put upto xxxx sq ft

JFGauvreau
03-22-2011, 05:46 AM
I like it, simple and to the point. I don't like the "front lawn only" what if its a house close to the street with a 500 sq ft front and 10k back or just the oposite the house is set back with barely any turf in back but here is 15k of grass out front? I would simply put *restrictions apply, call for details. or I would put upto xxxx sq ft

Ya I know, it's because most front lawns in my area are no more than 1500 sq feet, but ya I agree on the corner lots. Maybe i'll change it to restrictions apply instead, thanks.

KrayzKajun
03-22-2011, 06:43 AM
nice and simple

A-Land
03-22-2011, 07:00 AM
Is that the only service you offer? Around here, core aeration is best up-sold to clients. Hell I don't think 96% of them even know what it is and certainly don't know if they need it. And usually people think they need it and they probably need something else...

It seems like a lot of empty space too. Ads are best when they are simple but I think this may be a case of oversimplification? I think it needs some more information on why I should hire your company...

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Is that the only service you offer? Around here, core aeration is best up-sold to clients. Hell I don't think 96% of them even know what it is and certainly don't know if they need it. And usually people think they need it and they probably need something else...

It seems like a lot of empty space too. Ads are best when they are simple but I think this may be a case of oversimplification? I think it needs some more information on why I should hire your company...

I agree, in my neck of the woods too, aeration alone wont sell. No one knows what it is or even cares unless you personally upsell and explain the benefits.
Add some more service to your card I think.

I do like how your card looks, just add a few tidbits.

JFGauvreau
03-22-2011, 11:37 AM

No I sell lawn care programs that offers ferts apps, overseed, dethatch, etc.

But also sell aeration as a service alone.

Thanks, I'll see how I can change it.

JFGauvreau
03-22-2011, 11:46 AM
I agree, in my neck of the woods too, aeration alone wont sell. No one knows what it is or even cares unless you personally upsell and explain the benefits.
Add some more service to your card I think.

I do like how your card looks, just add a few tidbits.

Ya it's just not the same around here, aeration is the most profitable.

A lot of folks would like to save the hassle of renting an aerator and do-it-yourself.

A-Land
03-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Ya it's just not the same around here, aeration is the most profitable.

A lot of folks would like to save the hassle of renting an aerator and do-it-yourself.

In my opinion, it's very, very difficult to make money off of direct mail that's a one-time type deal, unless the job is worth some serious $$. (Like weekly lawn maintenance, tree service, etc.)

Out of curiosity? What is your average price per aeration? I ask because, if they start at $30, maybe your average is $50? Your ad here in the states would have to go on an oversize post card, total cost for printing and distribution, might be 40 cents/piece. With a 1% retention rate that's going to be $40/job in ad costs, and I think a lot of people have come to experience that the 1% number is a pipe dream.

After you factor in estimating the job, doing it, etc, how are you managing to make money on this? Direct mailings cost a LOT of money per piece.

JFGauvreau
03-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Cost me around 150$ with shipping (50$ was just the shipping) to get 2500 printed out, Will cost me another 100$ to have them distributed.

1% would be 25 clients, at average 50$ = 1250$ - cost = 1000$ profit + opportunity to get more work thrum word of mouth.

Of course those are just statistics, I might be a .5% like you said.

Main reason for those post cards is to get my name out there, making sure people remember me, I have an ad in the newspaper too. In the back of the postcards is a list of my services, driveway sealing is also popular around here witch is my expertise, most homes are around 250$.

The 1st month, April, is to cool for sealing, so I stay busy by doing spring services.

mdvaden
03-22-2011, 06:02 PM
I will be sending around 2.5k of those 4"X6" post cards pretty soon, would like to know your inputs.

I had to re size the image so that it wold let me post it, the width has shrunk a bit.

Do you have a website?

Because if you don't, you might want want to list on the card. Even if you only get a one page website that's no more complex than the postcard you posted.

The simplicity looks really good.

Agree to add other services on the cards. Each extra service makes the advertising 100% more valuable.

5 more services on the card becomes like 500% more advertising than just listing the aeration work.

JFGauvreau
03-22-2011, 06:14 PM
Do you have a website?

Because if you don't, you might want want to list on the card. Even if you only get a one page website that's no more complex than the postcard you posted.

The simplicity looks really good.

Agree to add other services on the cards. Each extra service makes the advertising 100% more valuable.

5 more services on the card becomes like 500% more advertising than just listing the aeration work.

Everything you just mentioned is on the backside of the postcard. I was just trying to get a good 1st impression on the front side of the cards

TJLANDS
03-22-2011, 07:31 PM
I guess because you are from Canada and most everyone is French your name is ok, but if that card was for here I would say change the company name,
I spent more time trying to figure out the name than I did reading the card and I still dont get the pronunciation.
Otherwise I would add another major service to the front , lawn care -mowing.

JFGauvreau
03-22-2011, 07:52 PM
I guess because you are from Canada and most everyone is French your name is ok, but if that card was for here I would say change the company name,
I spent more time trying to figure out the name than I did reading the card and I still dont get the pronunciation.
Otherwise I would add another major service to the front , lawn care -mowing.

Ya you had a hard time with the pronunciation since its my family name. As far as French, no, Canada is just like the states, we speak English too, just the Quebec province are mostly french. lol

TheBetterDoorhanger
03-24-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi Lawnsite Members! Have you heard of our innovative Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your advertisement on the door where it belongs & customers can even bring the ad inside & place it on the refrigerator instead of throwing it in the drawer with your competitors ads.

We have great start up specials on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It® products and even offer free CUSTOM design services if you mention this forum post! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well as custom design services)

5,000 only $295 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
2,500 only $189 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING & STICK-IT INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock

ALSO 9"x6" FULL COLOR POST CARDS (with Stick-It) mailed & postage included as low as $0.26 each.
SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

Curious about our quality – request a FREE sample packet! www.adeasprinting.com/free-samples

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com

tradeyouraccounts
03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Maybe add your'e website if you have one, who are you using to send them out i have heard good things about moneymailer?

Outdoor_Maintenance_2010
04-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Ya you had a hard time with the pronunciation since its my family name. As far as French, no, Canada is just like the states, we speak English too, just the Quebec province are mostly french. lol

:canadaflag:

That's a reason i didnt wanted to use my last name for my company
but yet my company name is still hard to say in english...hehe

PostcardMania
04-20-2011, 01:13 PM
The front is definitely clean and simple, however, I have a feeling most people are not going to know what "core aeration" is which will probably result in the person throwing the postcard away before even looking at the back.

Also think about the phrase you're using "got green grass?"... might be more effective if you ask "want green grass?" (benefits as several above mentioned). Here's some examples of very successful postcard designs, you can use some of these ideas if you'd like: http://bit.ly/gzkBKJ

Once you have the design figured out, be sure to repeat mailings as some people respond quicker than others and if you're not staying in front of them on a regular basis, they may forget about your company when they DO need services.

JFGauvreau
04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
The front is definitely clean and simple, however, I have a feeling most people are not going to know what "core aeration" is which will probably result in the person throwing the postcard away before even looking at the back.

Also think about the phrase you're using "got green grass?"... might be more effective if you ask "want green grass?" (benefits as several above mentioned). Here's some examples of very successful postcard designs, you can use some of these ideas if you'd like: http://bit.ly/gzkBKJ

Once you have the design figured out, be sure to repeat mailings as some people respond quicker than others and if you're not staying in front of them on a regular basis, they may forget about your company when they DO need services.

Ya thanks for the advice, the post cards will be sent this week, I'll see how it turns out.

PostcardMania
04-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Ya thanks for the advice, the post cards will be sent this week, I'll see how it turns out.

Wonderful! Would love to know how it works for you :)

JFGauvreau
04-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Already got 3 calls in one day, sold 2 dethatching and a lawn care package.

PostcardMania
04-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Already got 3 calls in one day, sold 2 dethatching and a lawn care package.

Woo Hoo!!!!

thom
04-21-2011, 05:45 PM

it looks good.very simple.