PDA

View Full Version : Truck Toolbox

wxmn6
09-22-2002, 01:44 PM
I have some thought about getting one of those Weatherguard Low Side toolbox that goes on either driver or passenger side of truck bed. My truck is 2002 Chevy 2500HD extended cab short box (6.5' box). There are two boxes that I can pick, one would be 47" long and the other would be 56" long. If I get one, I only would need one of them and would put it on the driver side because that is where I cannot see the edge of bed on driver side when I am inside the truck. Also it would be right next to me when I get out of truck. Now, I am trying to decide if I need this toolbox or not. I do have extended cab but I want it to keep neat and not cluttered. I thought about using RubberMaid small plastic storage boxes to tuck under the seat. But as I am adding stuff, it is going to fill up quickly. The advantage of having a toolbox is that I can keep the truck neat, but there is a disadvantage. It would take up some of my truck bed space, not too much, but some. It will be going over the wheel well. The bed is sprayed with Rhino Liner. I would be using the bed for carrying tools, top soil, mulch, etc. Would this cause problem? I also plan on getting a heavy duty load handler. Would this also be a problem?

These are the following items that I would like to bring with me:
Jumper Cables (maybe with bag like Bucket Boss?)
Bungees Cords
Hitch tube with ball
Hitch tube with no ball
Hitch pin
Hitch tube pin
Work gloves
Safety glasses
Snowbrush
Tarp
Rag towels
A few hand tools
Seat cover
Flashlight w/ wand
Flares
Flag

These are the following items that I would like to bring but not really necessary:

Tote of hand tools
Sockets and wrenches sets
Chains

I am sure that I missed a few things but you should get the idea. Thanks! :)

Brickman
09-22-2002, 10:48 PM
Always a tow strap.

PaulJ
09-24-2002, 01:15 AM
Get it

I wouldn't be without my truck tool box. I have one the sits inside the box, behind the cab and is as deep as the truck bed and about 18-20" wide and it's full. Alot of the things you mentioned and a few more. Like extra blades, the wrenches to change blades, over shoes, measuring wheel , colaplable rake, and a short shovel, I can even put a handheld blower or hedge trimmer in when I need to. If I get a truck with a short bed I will probably get one of the side boxes like you mentioned. I 'm just not sure if it would be big enough:D I've found out that when you con't have it with you, is when you need it.

wxmn6
09-24-2002, 02:50 PM
That's why I want to go with the side box. I know that it hold less stuff, but I recently bought a toolbox that mounts on my trailer tongue, so everything that is for mower, etc will be put in there. Sometime I would have mulch or top soil to pick up and deliver, so that's another reason why I want to go with the side box. It don't take as much space as the crossover box. I have a crossover box on the bed of my Toyota and I find it hard to put some stuff in there because the box has reduced the length of bed I could use. I thought that when I got a new truck with extended cab that I could put all the stuff in the rear seat and not need a toolbox. But the problem is that my Chevy 2500HD truck is so nice that I would not want to clutter up the back seat. Thank you for your input. I'd like to hear more about it.

wxmn6
09-24-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by PaulJ
I've found out that when you con't have it with you, is when you need it.

I agree with you! Many times I would have to run back home to get the stuff I need. :D

crawdad
09-24-2002, 09:11 PM
I have the toolbox that fits on top of, and in front of, the wheelwell. I love it. I can still put an 8' load in the truck, and I can fit a lot in the box. I bought it at the Tractor Supply store. I just went to their website for a pic, but couldn't find it.

Crawdad

cos
09-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Never get caught without hand tools!

Swampbeast
10-23-2002, 02:15 PM
I love my trucks tool box. I've got one that sits right behind the cab, is as deep as the bed is, and even a little over, and is maybe 2 feet wide. It fits anything in there, I carry everything from 45 feet of 1/2 inch chain (you never know.....) to a full set of hand tools and jacks and once I even put my guns in there to haul them to the hunting sight. They are awesome, get one. :cool: