PDA

View Full Version : thieves never rest

joehar
09-22-2002, 02:26 PM
everybody,watch your stuff.let my guard down this morning.stopped at the local market,didnt lock my blower,it was gone in less than 5 minutes.of course,the guard saw nothing.anyway,no ones fault but my own.guess ill be visiting my dealer in the morning for a new one.just a shame.

LB Landscaping
09-22-2002, 02:32 PM
That sucks, its too bad we can't trust people anymore.

Southern Lawns
09-22-2002, 02:54 PM
This topic has been discussed many times but never gets old. Sorry to hear it! It is something you have to be aware of every minute...............really.....every minute. It is a shame. From time to time I may go out solo and service a yard or two and the hardest part of the entire job is keeping an eye on the trailer when I'm in the back yard. everything is locked down but still I don't like it out of site. When we have two or more on a job site we never all go in the back together. We always leave someone out front. Shouldn't have to be this way!!!!!!!!!!

outrunjason
09-22-2002, 03:32 PM
I had my trailer taken right out of my driveway about 3 years ago. Thank God I didn't have any equipment in it. But it was a $900 trailer.

It really sucks when you are running at a good pace and then you have to stop to keep makeing sure that the trailer and equipment is being watched. Some of m lawns we end up in back together and I get so worried.

Jason

joehar
09-22-2002, 03:40 PM
thanks guys.i am solo so i really have to be careful.guess it could be worse.it was a used red max i bought this year.still hate to give away 100.00 to some trashy a** non working loser.

Sean Adams
09-22-2002, 05:37 PM
Everyone gets what they give three-fold... The idiot who stole your equipment will pay eventually. Hope it never happens again.

dr grass
09-22-2002, 05:43 PM
that sucks about your equipment bro. we are constantly having to lock up around the house because of some break - ins around the neighborhood within the last few years. why cant people buy their own s%*t!

i was cutting my buddies yard yesterday, and his bobcat was sitting on a trailor in the middle of his side yard. i unhooked my trailor and moved his bobcat around to the back corner of his lot! LOL! the bad part is that he hasnt called me yet .... do you think he found it???

Shep :p

65hoss
09-22-2002, 06:07 PM
Hey Joe, I just got home and heard your message on my answering machine. Man I hate that. Since where coming into leaf season get the Redmax eb7000 now.

I'll call you back in a little bit.

cnflawn
09-22-2002, 06:42 PM
sorry to hear about the theft.
makes it hard to keep a good attitude sometimes.
if there is any way to get the redmax 7001 get it.
there is a huge difference in output and no difference in price.

jerald

joehar
09-22-2002, 07:25 PM
yea,i had planned to buy a new 7000 soon(end of this month),just get it a little earlier now!! guess its time to enclosemy carport now.wanted to wait til after the winter,just have to rearrange other plans til then.have a good week guys

rodfather
09-22-2002, 08:23 PM
Know the feelin'...last early December, we were finished with leaf clean-up. Left them and met my dad in Myrtle Beach, SC for 10 days of golf. Came home and found 2 of my Pequea 16' dovetail trailers stolen in a secure rental yard (and they were chained together).

Man, did that stink big time. Cost me a bunch even with insurance.:mad:

ProMo
09-22-2002, 08:49 PM
I had a blower stolen while mowing a church

MikeLT1Z28
09-22-2002, 09:56 PM
sorry to hear that joe. what part of town were you in when it happened? i keep all my stuff locked in my trimmer traps at all times.

Hoosier Mower
09-22-2002, 11:46 PM
Sorry to hear that, sorry world these days!:dizzy:

bubble boy
09-23-2002, 08:08 AM
i do the 5 min thing a lot, i know i shouldn't.

don't you wish you caught the guy in the act?:mad:

joehar
09-23-2002, 08:53 AM
mike,i was at robilios market at summer / white station.usualy go in the afternoon as the guard watches my stuff.no guard on duty i n the morning.oh well,just a minor setback.just tough on mypocket being my first year in the biz being solo.thanks

MikeLT1Z28
09-23-2002, 09:27 AM
ahh, cloverleaf. i don't trust anything west of altruria. i say follow eric's advice on which blower to get. the 7000 will blow just about anything away and the 400/420's are pretty efficient with a good bit of power. i have the 420 and haven't had the first minute's problem.

Brickman
09-23-2002, 10:27 AM
I feel for you guys. But it sure is nice to live in a nice area that sees virtually no problems. In the 6 years I did LC I never had any thing stolen from an open trailer with nothing locked. Ooops, I did, some body stole the orange cones off my trailer, and left every thing else. Weird huh?
I have never had any trouble around my house either, even in Cheyenne people would leave a door unlocked for me to service sprinklers, time clocks, etc. :cool:

SLS
09-23-2002, 10:35 AM
I hate it when that happens! :angry:

I had a Redmax CHT-2200 hedge trimmer "walk" out of my garage one day. I had stopped in at the house for lunch...and left the garage door open..."I was only going to be home for 15 minutes or so".....in a safe, quite, suburban neighborhood.

My wife heard the guy rustling around in the garage...and yelled for me. I ran outside just in time to see them driving away...but I got their plate number (desperate, drug-addicted, morons).

I immediately called the cops, and they put the incident out over the radio. Two of "our finest" saw the car in the parking lot of a local pawn shop, walked in, and arrested the guys...who where standing there with my hedge trimmers in front of them...on the counter...with the $30 the pawn shop had just given them for my trimmers. This would not have been possible had I not had the SERIAL NUMBER to those trimmers recorded and given to the police when I called in the theft.

I got my trimmers back...and these two dopers were bound over to the Grand Jury after the prelimenary hearing. One of then was on parole for theft...so that $30 is going to cost him 5 years in the slammer....what a dumbazz. :D

I have since learned to keep everything locked...period....even if it will only be out of sight for 30 seconds.

I had just bought those trimmers (almost $400) and had only used them on two jobs. They were mint. I was VERY lucky that I got them back, WHEW!!! I almost lost $400 in 4 seconds flat. A wife with good ears, quick action, having the serial numbers handy, and an alert police force, all came together to save the day and get two thieving idiots off our streets.

Get the Redmax EB 7000 or the new EB 7001. You will not be sorry. They are "just awesome"! :)

joehar
09-23-2002, 01:50 PM
just bought the 7001 this morning.used it on 2 yards.it is killer.that thing is stronger than my breath after 3cups of coffee and 4 krystals w/extra onions.very happy with it.thanks for the advice

65hoss
09-23-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by joehar
just bought the 7001 this morning.used it on 2 yards.it is killer.that thing is stronger than my breath after 3cups of coffee and 4 krystals w/extra onions.very happy with it.thanks for the advice

Now you have some real power.

Sounds like your breath does too. :D

Scotlawncare
09-24-2002, 08:05 PM
Joe, how much did you give for the 7001? did you get it at Bartlet small engine?

Scot

extracash
09-24-2002, 09:28 PM
Well, much to my surprise, we got ripped off. While we were mowing out back, we lost a trimmer and blower off of the trailer.

Now, we lock everything down! What a pain!

Two days ago, one of my buddies was mowing and a guy drove by, hopped on his trailer, started his Exmark Metro and tried to load it on his trailer before he was noticed.

The license number of his truck was provided to the local authorities. You guessed right, they did nothing! Must have been too busy handing out citations for kids with loud stereos in their cars.

Live and Learn!

joehar
09-25-2002, 08:36 AM
i bought my 7001 from gambrell.it was 459.00.i thought that was very fair price.i think bartlett was 489.00.its gonna make blowing beds out a breeze.im very happy with the 7001.have a good one

MJStrain
09-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Thefts like that make for a good argument on closed trailers. I'll be in the market next year for another trailer and you can bet it will be closed. I just worry too darn much when I'm in the back mowing...

CBB
09-25-2002, 07:03 PM
I know how you all feel. I was hit about a month ago. Unhooked my trailer, and pushed truck out of the way so they could hook to it. Had a 72" Diesel (35 hrs) and a 48" hydro walk behind less than a week old. Not to mention a nice 20' trailer.:mad: :mad:

Scag48
09-25-2002, 08:13 PM
Since I just got my rack systems put in, I definately needed locks. My dad begged to differ, since I do work and live in a small town, but people will steal anything whether they need it or not. They destroy it or sell it for a small profit, whatever they can do to make someone sorry for losing something. What is our world coming to these days?

Runner
09-25-2002, 08:27 PM
The thing about enclosed trailers, is that while most of the thefts occur at and on the jobsite, I NEVER see an enclosed trailer closed up unless it's at an apartment complex, or something.

MikeLT1Z28
09-25-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by joehar

next time i see ya, i'll just wave! lol :D

cantoo
09-25-2002, 11:25 PM
Have you guys thought of putting the movement type detectors on your trailers? The kind that you would put on the trailer and if they stepped on the trailer it emits a loud piercing sound. You could conceal 45 second delay buttons so it wouldn't go off when you are grabbing equipment. At least with the noise maybe someone would see them taking it. I work in Detroit sometimes and some of the guys there tie a dog to their trucks or trailers to slow down the theft.

Darb
09-26-2002, 01:58 AM
Great idea that SLS had to have the serial numbers quickly available. I also like the idea Cantoo had about having the dog tied to the trailer... though it would really suck if they stole the dog too... that would be my luck.

Brickman
09-26-2002, 11:03 AM
The comment about the dog reminds me of a comedian.

"The only thing meaner than a Pit Bull with AIDS is the SOB that gave him AIDS." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MJStrain
10-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Brickman
The comment about the dog reminds me of a comedian.

"The only thing meaner than a Pit Bull with AIDS is the SOB that gave him AIDS." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That's a real knee slapper!!! LMAO!!:jester: :laugh: :waving:

Gravely_Man
10-01-2002, 03:47 PM
I am glad it was just one item they stole rather then a lot more. As the others have mentioned they will get theirs sooner or later. Take whatever steps you can to make this the first and last items taken from you.

Gravely_Man

joehar
10-01-2002, 09:25 PM
just had my carport enclosed today.i dont live in the best neighborhood.now at least i donthave to unload my trimmers,blowers,21 in.etc.. money well spent. and will never do the 5 minute stop without locking everything!! im pissed now..they got into my reserve cash.just kidding,was planning to enclose anyway.havea great week!