PDA

View Full Version : Dog Chewing Trailer Wire

Hawg City Lawns
03-22-2011, 12:24 AM
well i have a new puppy and hes a playful boxer love this dog to death but he loves to chew wires trailer wires at that i just spent $26 on a light kit and another $10 on staples and 1/4" air hose to use as a conduit under the trailer only to come out the next morning to see it all over the yard some how hes pulling the flat 4 plug and chewing it and just going down the trailer chewing whatever he can get i dont want to put up a fence because hes just mean looking and has that rough bark that makes a great watch dog so has anyone got any ideas on how to keep this dog from chewing on these wires or how to run them where he wont chew them? ive thought about magnetic tow lights also just stick them on and at the end of the day take them off but im open for ideas

DoetschOutdoor
03-22-2011, 02:40 PM
The proper solution is OBEDIENCE. Your dog should know what he can chew on and what he cant. Nip that crap in the bud right now before the dog eats something that costs you several thousand dollars to have removed. When you see him chewing on something he shouldnt be, whoop his butt and give a stern NO.

seabee1
03-22-2011, 02:45 PM
go to the or call the vet to see what you can spray on and around the trailer that will make it taste o bad that he will not like or keep the dog and trailer separated by a fence .:)

Hawg City Lawns
03-22-2011, 03:53 PM
yeah i agree on the obedience... i called the vet today and she said that there are several things you can buy at petco or petsmart just take your pick but they only last for a day she also said that getting him neutered might help some (its tough bringing myself to neuter a registered dog) so looks like he might get fenced off its kinda a shame he sure likes to lay on that trailer

DoetschOutdoor
03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
I would prolly change vets if my vet told me to get my dog neutered because he/she was chewing. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Vets will tell you anything they think you want to hear to put a couple hundred bucks in their bank account. Neutering has its pros and cons, every dog owner should look at both sides and then decide to neuter or not. How old is your dog? My parents have two boxers (both fixed at a very young age) and I can tell you right now that neutering is not the answer. I wouldnt waste your time with sprays or deterrents, just let your dominance come out and correct the dog in whatever way you feel is necessary and Ill bet the chewing stops. Boxers can be very stubborn but they are smart and after a correction or two your dog will stop chewing.

93Chevy
03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Spray the trailer wires with bitter apple spray.

lawnpropm
03-22-2011, 09:58 PM
Try cayenne pepper. I had this same exact prob but only once. Sprinkle the pepper around the trailer and near the wire harness heavy. Your dog should get a whiff and either A. stay away or B.get amouth and nose full then stay away.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawg City Lawns
03-23-2011, 12:03 AM
I would prolly change vets if my vet told me to get my dog neutered because he/she was chewing. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. Vets will tell you anything they think you want to hear to put a couple hundred bucks in their bank account. Neutering has its pros and cons, every dog owner should look at both sides and then decide to neuter or not. How old is your dog? My parents have two boxers (both fixed at a very young age) and I can tell you right now that neutering is not the answer. I wouldnt waste your time with sprays or deterrents, just let your dominance come out and correct the dog in whatever way you feel is necessary and Ill bet the chewing stops. Boxers can be very stubborn but they are smart and after a correction or two your dog will stop chewing.

hes 1 year and 2 months old i got him when he was 7 months old and he never really had to much people interaction during his first 7 months so it took a lot of working with him to just make him calm around people yeah i called the lady i got him from and she said she doesnt think neutering him would have any effect and it actually makes them gain weight and has been known to shorten their life span so i dont think ill go that route have you heard anything about the obedience schools that petsmart puts on? i picked up a flyer about it but dunno if its actually worth it

heres a little picture of him about a month ago
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/0215111513.jpg

DoetschOutdoor
03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I cant speak for all petsmart stores but the OB class they put on here is a joke...its like a 30x30 ring jammed packed with a dozen dogs right in the MIDDLE of the dang store. To me, thats more of a puppy socialization class than an OB class. Do you have any professional dog trainers or like an AKC club around you anywhere? My parents took both of their boxers to an OB class and even though it was done by a pro trainer, its mostly just laying the groundwork and teaching you how to train your dog. Is your dog trained up at all and chewing is his only problem or what? Good looking pup too, wish I had a big enough yard for 2 dogs right now and we would add another boxer to our clan.

retrodog
03-23-2011, 12:49 AM
The freakin cows chew my trailer wires, right now I have 4 trailers, and I am constantly working on the lights. Only one time on the dog..... One of these days I am going to build a fence just for the trailers I guess. I have tried duct taping everywhere, zip ties, nothing works.......pisses me off just talking about it...lol

Mark Oomkes
03-23-2011, 03:25 AM
Your dog needs more exercise, not to be tied up or fenced in. That will only make the problem worse.

Run him, walk him, whatever, but if you fence him, don't be surprised when he digs/chews his way out of that and continues to cause damage.

Falcon50EX
03-23-2011, 09:09 AM
hes 1 year and 2 months old i got him when he was 7 months old and he never really had to much people interaction during his first 7 months so it took a lot of working with him to just make him calm around people yeah i called the lady i got him from and she said she doesnt think neutering him would have any effect and it actually makes them gain weight and has been known to shorten their life span so i dont think ill go that route have you heard anything about the obedience schools that petsmart puts on? i picked up a flyer about it but dunno if its actually worth it

heres a little picture of him about a month ago
http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx158/joshuabv/0215111513.jpg

www.leerburg.com he has some great stuff. Do not woop the dog like someone said I have two Sheppard's and both are trained one for K9 work and the other for protection. I carry one with me on jobs and they watch the truck and trailer. Work him he is bored you can use some sprays but like have to do that every day or you could use a E collar. Good luck get him a Kong the best toy ever for dogs.

DoetschOutdoor
03-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Discipling a dog is part of being a responsible dog owner. Your dog knows he can get away with chewing on stuff he is not supposed to be and if you correct him he will stop. Im not saying to beat the living crap out of your dog but you have to show him you are the pack leader, if you want to have an obedient dog that knows you are the pack leader.

Falcon, what kind of area do you work in that requires a protection dog? Seems a little overkill. I hope your not one of them owners that keeps their dog in their truck and it tries to kill anyone that walks by. Did you train your dogs or purchase them trained? Because you are not going to get a police trained dog without using force and establishing that you are the pack leader.

Hawg City Lawns
03-23-2011, 01:36 PM
i have a 3/4 acre yard so hes got room to play and i have an old mut that loves to fight and play with him and both of them do everything with me around the house so trust me hes getting plenty of exercise

falcon, funny you mentioned that his best friend is a kong with peanut butter

for a quick fix i think a couple of t-posts and chicken wire might have to do but my plan is to get this dog trained for sure

knox gsl
03-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Don't have him fixed, it doesn't do any good. I had an American Bulldog and all it did for him was make him fat and lazy. He still pulled all the wires off the jetski trailer and chewed up the lights. He also dug up a buried phone line in the backyard where the phone company had an easement and had that scattered all over the back yard. It is a normal behavior for these breeds to want to chew, best thing is to keep him busy and let him know who is boss. Lots of dicipline.