PDA

View Full Version : When do you begin aeration and overseding???

MacLawnCo
09-22-2002, 04:59 PM
When do you begin aerating and overseeding a lawn. I have had many calls that want me to do the work, but I dont know when to schedule them. Some advice would be appreciated. ;)

LAWNGODFATHER
09-22-2002, 05:15 PM
A month ago

walker-talker
09-22-2002, 05:56 PM
Depends on your weather. Once temp highs are around 85 degrees. I stop 2 weeks before the first expected frost date. When do you others stop?

MATT

Sean Adams
09-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Definitely depends on where you live, soil type, conditions you experienced that season, etc...

Problem is, you will find that the best way to treat each property is individually, which is a scheduling nightmare and hard to do business that way. Some lawns can wait, others would benefit if the aerating and seeding were done shortly after the weather break.

greenman
09-23-2002, 12:00 AM
For my area, right now is the time. Highs are are in the low to mid 80s.

njyamahauler
09-23-2002, 09:53 AM
Walker-talker is correct. It depends on the weather and conditions in your area. For example, in New Jersey we are under drought conditions and it has still been very hot every day. The ground is very hard and I doubt aeration tines would barely break through. Also, watering is prohibited statewide.

walker-talker
09-23-2002, 10:05 AM
I usually stop 2 weeks before the first expected frost date. Here in Kansas, the first frost date is suppose to be October 15th. Last year was different and could of overseeded another month...OUCH!

When do you guys generally stop?

MATT