PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for decorative rock?

makbootzy
03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I have a 225 sqft needs old mulch removed and fabric put down. I will be putting 2.5 ton of rock down. Do you charge double the cost of rock? So 275 to prchase and 275 for labor?

ReddensLawnCare
03-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Figure time it will take to do the job, multiply that by your hourly rate (mine would probably be 75 b/c its backbreaking) and go from there. I would also charge a delivery fee and a 20% markup on your costs. Hope that helps

Southern Elegance
03-23-2011, 09:13 PM
rock cost, plus 20%markup, plus delivery, plus 145.00/ ton labor

makbootzy
03-23-2011, 09:32 PM
I told him $550 for removal of mulch and put down fabric and 3 ton. He said he needed to talk to the wife.

fabric $11 x 2 = $22
Rock $85 x 3 = $255
Materials = $277
Labor = $273
and out of my labor profit was gonna be a dump charge and gas to make 3 trips to get rock. I think the estimate was fair and wont beat myself up over it if the low baller works for next to nothing.

LoweJ82
03-23-2011, 10:00 PM
I told him $550 for removal of mulch and put down fabric and 3 ton. He said he needed to talk to the wife.

from what Ive figured out the "talk to the wife" is either a cop out w/o saying he thinks its to much or you will be hearing from the wife through the husband and can turn into a real pita.

Fabric I noticed you have listed 2x$11 @$22 is this the stuff that comes in the rolls wrapped in plastic? if so ditch them and use the stuff they sell at the yard where you pick up your rock, the pre rolled crap is paper and you can see through it, the stuff the yard will or should have will be a woven nylon like a grass seed bag and will have a felt like fabric on one side.

Rock I charge for delivery, labor time, mark up above retail by 10% since its already discounted below retail buy at least 20% and also for the prep work.

Solaris Landscaping
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
i agree you should pad the rock/fabric (dont use that junk from home depot) charges a bit and i would break down the labour into two parts, one for the removal, and one for the installation.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
03-26-2011, 09:35 PM
OK.. Have you established an hourly rate for landscape work ? If so yeah just figure out how long you think it will take and with how many guys. If you have a good supplier that gives you a good discount you may only need to charge retail, most clients will know or find out what materials cost, especially the way the economy has been, people are price conscience more than they have been in the past. Dont hurt yourself but educate yourself as if you were the client. Find out what the yard will charge you to deliver the materials to the job site, may be cheaper to pay a delivery fee than spend your time making three trips back and fourth to get it. and figure in that delivery charge along with QUALITY fabric underlayment, I would add maybe a 10% bump to your labor estimate just to allow for mistakes, delays, under estimating quantity of materials and so fourth.

Dr.NewEarth
03-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi, I wonder if you have to remove the mulch? If there are plants there you can throw down some fertilizer, lay down the fabric and just cover the rocks.

I hate doing more work than I have to.

Also, I don't think I saw a rock depth. Our landscape standard is minimum 3 inch depth over the fabric.

I cubic yard should cover about 10 foot by 10 foot 3 inches deep, or there abouts.
That's how I look at things.

LoweJ82
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
around here its sold by the ton and not by the cubic yard, a "ton" of 1"- will cover a little more than 100 sq ft.

Dr.NewEarth
03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
So, a ton is about a cubic yard of gravel? O.K.

LoweJ82
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
pending size of rock, 3" wont cover as much space as a 1"

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2011, 04:50 AM
It is illegal to sell rock by the ton without a scale. Add $100 to the wholesale price and a little for clean up. I should take more 1-1.5 hour
Posted via Mobile Device

LoweJ82
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
I would think it would be however they do, It's a scoop that weighs a half ton per scoop, They have a smaller scale that they "may have" at some point used to weigh a scoop, but they have no truck scales.

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2011, 01:26 PM
It is generally the easiest scam. In fact three of my local competitor uses a 1/3 yard bucket shakes of the top and gives you 2 scoops and you have a yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

ncknaklawns
03-28-2011, 02:04 AM
I charge about double for rock as for mulch. Same delivery fee, Higher labor rate,
1/2 cu yd stone ~ equal to 1 cu yd mulch price
Double the labor

Stillwater
03-28-2011, 03:17 AM
What it costs you to complete the job + your mark up and profit % + tax if applicable in your state = what you charge.

You need to know what it cost you- and your business first before you can estimate this is just as important as getting paid. Your hourly rates and profit requirements for your business can be found in the very detailed business plan you wrote or had developed for your business. If you don't have one of those you must make that step 1 before anything else or you and your business will always be blind and sailing without a rudder and possibly failing for charging to little or by charging to much which is just as damageing for the long haul