PDA

View Full Version : Basic Spring Cleanup

Puckdropper23
03-22-2011, 04:58 PM
What do you folks do for a basic spring cleanup, and what is the rule of thumb as far as pricing is concerned? Thanks.

Smallaxe
03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
It depends on what is cleaned up and how much trouble it is... I'm a sole Prop. so I do those types of things by the hour... Keeping leaves off the turf and getting the turf unmatted is done according to the weather and needs to be done often, in order to save the grass sometimes...

But often the time and volumes involved can vary wildly, so an hourly rate is the only fair way of doing it...
Garden beds are cleaned only once in the spring when all the leaves are off the trees...

Darryl G
03-22-2011, 06:14 PM
The exact scope depends on the property, i.e. a good number of my customers maintain their own flower beds and pick up sticks as they fall. If they don't maintain the beds themselves, I cut any dead material and blow them out first. Then, in general, I prepare the lawn for mowing, removing any limbs, sticks, twigs, acorns, pine cones, leaves etc. etc. Usually I'll go around with a barrel or tarp and pick up the big stuff and then give it a good scour with the backpack blower and the wheel blower if necessary. Depending on the lawn I may run the tine rake dethatcher over it too. If I have to I'll even use one of them things on a handle that Granpa used to use. I think he called it a rake.

I also tend to any plow damage, heavy accumulations of sand near the road, driveway gravel on the lawn. On some of my accounts the beds get mulched too, but I try to put that off if I can. Oh, and hard surfaces get shoveled, swept or blown or whatever is appropriate. I might even spot seed a few areas. Again, it depends on the property.

I do have some properties that never really get a separate spring cleanup, but those are rare. For those it's just a matter of vacuum bagging the first mow and a little bit here and there that can be done without me making a special trip for it. I have had problems in the past with customers claiming they don't need a spring cleanup when they clearly do. That can be a bit of a battle sometimes.

On most properties for my regular customers I charge hourly at my cleanup rate. Spring cleanups will range from nothing to perhaps $300 on the high end for my residential properties.

This is the time of year that I bring to my customers attention anything else that I see that may need to be done to get the place looking good but is outside the scope of a basic cleanup.