PDA

View Full Version : New Guinea impatiens life span?

Plantculture
03-22-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm curious what you guys get for a life span for New guineas?
Mine seem to be petering out earlier than in years past.

Florida Gardener
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Yo plant! Yup same here but don't forget we had way cooler temps this time last year. Ones in full sun look like garbage but ones with protection still looking great.
Posted via Mobile Device

abrightday
03-22-2011, 06:20 PM
That's the key, they love the shade, it is warming up earlier this year. I've seen them last seems like for years in moist shady spots.
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Plantculture
03-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Yep I know they prefer shade, however a client wants them everywhere in all light levels. Last 3 years I could get about 6 months out of them. I know that you should not plant nematode prone plants in the same location year after year, but unfortunately this customer will not accept good agronomic principles.
This year, the heat, thrips, nematodes + secondary root rot due to nematode damage has has taken its tole.

abrightday
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Can you dig out 3 ft of soil and replace with top soil and peat mix? That may help.
www.YourLandscapePro.com

Plantculture
03-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the idea, I may suggest that in a few focal areas. Unfortunately, Its about 4000 sg ft. with plantings next to the beds.
My preference would be to do 2 plantings. Nov 1 and March 1
How long did you Disney guys keep annuals around?

bugsNbows
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the idea, I may suggest that in a few focal areas. Unfortunately, Its about 4000 sg ft. with plantings next to the beds.
My preference would be to do 2 plantings. Nov 1 and March 1
How long did you Disney guys keep annuals around?

In theory, three months. However, if they look bad (for whatever reason) they were yanked out and replaced.