PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses

tjlco
03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
:cool2::cool2:Ok, whos wearing what???? Expensive? cheapos? I wear oakleys polarized, but its time to retire them, just wondering what everyone else wears. Not to mention, its a different topic lol

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-22-2011, 07:23 PM
:cool2::cool2:Ok, whos wearing what???? Expensive? cheapos? I wear oakleys polarized, but its time to retire them, just wondering what everyone else wears. Not to mention, its a different topic lolI use Starlite GS Z87+130mm smoke Price like $10each at a retailer i think I buy them by the case

Junior M
03-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Costa Del Mar with the 580s lenses.

tlc1994
03-22-2011, 07:32 PM
I save my Oakleys for off the job. I wear cheap glasses to protect my eyes from dirt and rocks while trimming, edging, etc. I only spend enough on them so I don't look like a clown on a customer's property.

Merkava_4
03-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Gateway Cobra's for me. :usflag:

lawnkingforever
03-22-2011, 07:51 PM
$200 Ray-Ban's for driving, they always stay in the truck. Cheapos from the flea market for working, they usually last a month or two before they are scratched to hell.

cms289
03-22-2011, 07:55 PM
100%

Wear Randolph Engineering Sunglass', Series - Aviator all of the time. I started using them in the Army and have never looked back. Used to be you would never see me outside without them on. I get a pair every year from the wife as a stocking stuffer, so I have several old ones with knicks and stuff I used to wear while working. They work well and protect from all UV light. A flying client gave me Cébé 'Cecchinel' Sunglasses when he found out I was expanding this business, they are very dark which I like, and have side covers to protect against flying stuff. I have started to use them while working outside with trimmers and mowers, They work really great. They are VERY COOL, I think when I break or damage these I will get them again. They are about 150 bucks, but good glasses are not cheap, and how much are your eyes worth????. This client is known for expensive gifts, gave me a Mont Blanc pen set because it matched my last name. Gotta like a person like that.

fobaum
03-22-2011, 08:00 PM
gatway starlites square(smoke) $2.50 apiece, can wear them all day and not know their on best safty sunglasses I ever used.

clean_cut
03-22-2011, 08:04 PM
I wear cheap glasses to protect my eyes from dirt and rocks while trimming, edging, etc. I only spend enough on them so I don't look like a clown on a customer's property.

We're in the same boat :laugh:

I mainly use my cheapo sunglasses for protection from trimming and mower debris.

Sutherland
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Picked up some cheapo Stihl's for 12 bucks. I put them through the blades on my mower and they came out clean.

fobaum
03-22-2011, 08:10 PM
the squared starlite's are much,much nicer than the regular starlite's 215598 by the way i meant mocha colored lenses.

mowerbrad
03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
I wear Oakley Half-Jackets while I'm driving or just out around town, I really like them but they definately stay in the truck on the job. For working I have some AOS safety sunglasses but they are all scratched up (still love them though) and I also have a pair of Stihl safety sunglasses.

JB1
03-22-2011, 08:15 PM
whatever is cheap, cause somebody keeps swiping mine out of the truck.

Green Acres Lawn CAre
03-22-2011, 08:28 PM
Costa Del Mar 580!:cool2:

fobaum
03-22-2011, 08:29 PM
I highly recommend these.215606
here's the link:http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com

tjlco
03-22-2011, 08:56 PM
I googled the costa 580, are they as good as the website says? I gotta be honest, i get headaches some days, I think from squinting. Not near as bad since I switched to polarized. I hardly to edging or trimming either. I'm on the mower all day....unless I lose a bet with one of the guys....lol

jsslawncare
03-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Wal-Mart specials.

Junior M
03-22-2011, 09:10 PM
I googled the costa 580, are they as good as the website says? I gotta be honest, i get headaches some days, I think from squinting. Not near as bad since I switched to polarized. I hardly to edging or trimming either. I'm on the mower all day....unless I lose a bet with one of the guys....lol
They are great! Kinda heavy, but you get used to them.

I do switch to generic safetly glasses when I have to trim or edge, but when I am mowing I wear my costa's.

I'd like to get a cheap pair of the 400 lense's to wear just for work and quit risking a scratch on my 580s.

greentech2007
03-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Oakleys only way to go one good pair and one work pair.

Jims Lawncare
03-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Dewalt safety sunglasses, wrap around style..$10-$12 bucks at Lowes.

TNGrassCutter
03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Oakleys only way to go one good pair and one work pair.

Me too, 2 pair if gascans one polarized for good, one non polarized for work. Also have some fakes but the lenses are a joke compared to the real ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
03-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Costa del mar here. I purchase one pair a year for around $225. I was buying the cheapie glasses for a year and after replacing them every few weeks, I felt like I was burning money. Why buy 12 pairs of ugly, cheap glasses for $15-25 ea. when you could buy 1 high quality pair of polarized Oakley or Costa del Mar sun glasses and with the proper care, they last a long time and are far more comfortable and attractive. Works out about the same money wise in the end unless you smash them.
Posted via Mobile Device

SLMGT
03-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I wear fitovers which fit over my prescription glasses. It looks like I'm blind but they work great and only cost $50.00 per pair.:weightlifter:

kilgoja
03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
walmart fishing sunglasses...cost about $10...i wear these driving as well....polarized to take all the glare away which i love....and they look good too....i have a pair of husqvarna sunglasses i got at lowes as well

ncknaklawns
03-22-2011, 11:13 PM
I use AO Safety Virtua Safety Glasses. They come in Blue and Clear. They fit my face really tight near the cheek and let in the least amount of debris while trimming. They are polycarbonate - so somewhat safe . The best thing of all is they are on $7.97 at Lowes. The clear work good for that last lawn before sunset. The blue look pretty descent. The are formed to your skull so full view around the sides. I alway try on new pairs but havn't found a better fit anywhere.

mowingtowing
03-23-2011, 09:19 PM
Stihl GSX
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/GSX-glasses.html
$10 a pop. Small price to pay for safe vision.
I buy several pair at a time and have a "dress" pair and a "work" pair. When the work pair gets too scratched up I cycle my dress pair and so on.

They are thin behind the ears and therefore don't hurt when I wear over the ear ear protection.

Dogbonz
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
I used to get the safety glasses from my local welding shop, or the snap on man. adjustable ear pieces, replaceable lens's, clear for in the shop, tinted/mirrored for outside.
I had several pair for driving, playing, working, ect, Then I got old, eyes went to chit, and now I have to buy prescription sunglasses. :( Sucks getting old!
I tried the polarized auto darkening lenes,, but they work off of UV light. and Automotive glass blocks UV light, so they wouldn't tint while driving :mad: Which BLOWS driving the school bus, in the winter, with fields full of snow on a sunny day!!!!

Agape
03-23-2011, 10:44 PM
walmart fishing sunglasses...cost about $10...i wear these driving as well....polarized to take all the glare away which i love....and they look good too....i have a pair of husqvarna sunglasses i got at lowes as well

same here! love em. Polarized and some times I tilt my head side to side while driving to trip myself out lol (black asphalt is cooooool).

alexschultz1
03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.oakley.com/products/6659/24837

love em they never leave my head

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
03-24-2011, 05:58 PM
I got a pair of the Costa 580, but they get expensive.

freshprince94
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM
I have Oakleys for when I'm not working. Love them wouldn't buy any other brand. I'm bad at eye protection when working, but when I remember it I have Stihl glasses that work pretty well.

rwar
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
A.O. safety glasses from Home Depot,have about four pair in the truck,when I cant see through them anymore grab another pair

LilRabbit
03-24-2011, 07:55 PM
custom oakleys off the job, fake oakleys on the job

bobcat48
03-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I like the dewalt ones have used the same pair for about five years!

Pennington Lawncare
03-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Sam's Club has a dozen for close to $20 and they are ANSI Z87 rated. You can get half of them with clear lenses or all with tinted. Best deal on safety glasses I have seen and they are comfortable.

knox gsl
03-24-2011, 09:36 PM
I use the Stihl sunglasses when they get scratched they get used for trim work then. I've used Oakley, Nike, Raybans, and Costas and I like the fit of my Stihl glasses the best, also doesn't hurt that they are only $10 per pair.

jdutcher003
03-24-2011, 09:57 PM
what kind of sunglasses are there to wear if you have glasses that dont make me look like i am a blind person? I would like to have some that work as safety glasses too so i can use them while trimming and edging

ncknaklawns
03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
You could try the AO safety with a small pair of reg glasses. The Virtua ones I mentioned work well at keeping dust out , I wear contacts and only have an occasional issue. I might try to add a custom seal when I get some time. LOL But they are so tight they steam up in the morning when I'm driving if the windows are up just from the evaporation off my eyeball.

knox gsl
03-25-2011, 07:17 AM
Stihl makes the reader style of lenses now, not sure if that helps.
Posted via Mobile Device

eastportstar
03-25-2011, 10:45 AM
i like the walmart fishing department shades. berkley or something like that. also the polarized ones at totes / sunglass world, sea striker ($25). but the $10 fishing ones are as good.

Screamin!
03-25-2011, 10:57 AM
I can't believe I haven't seen any Wiley X fans!! Its ALL I wear, try a pair on and you'll never wear Oakley again!

Wiley X Website (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=342786)

I personally wear Black Op series P17s. And trust me, you'll fall in LOVE with these glasses!

ProStreetCamaro
03-25-2011, 11:10 AM
I wear RX Oakleys. Not cheap but this pair has taken serious abuse over the last 5 years and only has a couple small marks on the lens from rocks hitting them. They have protected my eyes very well.

dhardin53
03-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Love these glasses a lot. They have a reading lens in the bottom of the glass. They also have tilt and arm adjustments and take a beating.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002D8ZY1M/ref=asc_df_B002D8ZY1M1085478?smid=AKZ54EXMVZHXW&tag=shopzilla_mp_1040-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B002D8ZY1M

ron mexico75
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM
I wear RX Oakleys. Not cheap but this pair has taken serious abuse over the last 5 years and only has a couple small marks on the lens from rocks hitting them. They have protected my eyes very well.

Funny you say that, I wear the same thing....if I recall mine were $585. I'm an idiot for wearing them. I think after I'm done typing this they will be before and after the job only. Gotta get a cheap pair that look like sunglasses but are safety glasses.

ProStreetCamaro
03-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Funny you say that, I wear the same thing....if I recall mine were $585. I'm an idiot for wearing them. I think after I'm done typing this they will be before and after the job only. Gotta get a cheap pair that look like sunglasses but are safety glasses.

I didn't use to wear them for work. After they got about 2 years old is when I started wearing them for work because I needed a new RX anyway. Ever since then they have been used for work only. Oakley RX lenses are ANSI certified polycarbonate lenses. Matter of fact my daily pair of sunglasses are also Oakley and will eventually become my work sunglasses.

twcw5804
03-25-2011, 03:13 PM
I love the camo stihls, bought 2 pairs of them. And I think I have the black/graphite Stihl Timbersports ones also for the really bright days.

Big Wes
03-25-2011, 06:13 PM
I wear "Dirty Harry" sunglasses about $7.00 to $9.00 a pair.

RLS24
03-25-2011, 09:15 PM
I have prescription Bolle Siwsher 10000s. kinda sucks when you have to wear glasses because the $10 ones might block out the sun bu that doesn't help when you can't see where you're driving the mower! I have another pair of scrpit ones that I wear for just driving around and whatever else. I love the people that say they have the nice ones for play and the cheap ones for work. You're wearing them all day and need them to protect your eyes from dangerous stuff, I'd think you'd want to invest a few bucks in some decent ones to wear for work.

Cajun Cleanin'
03-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Prescription polarized Ray-ban's

BrunoT
03-26-2011, 12:59 AM
I've had a few pairs of Oakleys and found them to be really overrated and overpriced. Two pairs developed stress cracks and eventually broke at the temples over time. Another pair I got the temple would fall off, but this pair may have been counterfeits as I got them on ebay, not a sunglass store.

I was content with some $60-$70 Bolle wrap arounds and bought a second pair. One pair was regular gray lenses, one polarized. They seem functually the same as Oakley as far as I can tell. Light, comfortable.

I wouldn't use expensive shades in the field as they will get scratches and damage out there. Not sure about impact rating of any of those I've used but many sports/water oriented ones are rated for that.

I've used cheapos from the big box stores before, but the lenses scratch super easy and the vision is a little distorted.

Golfpro21
03-26-2011, 08:37 AM
we wear Adidas Evil Eye's......they are around $300 for the frame and lens, but then replacement lenses are $45 a set.....usually get a full season out of a set of lenses....the frames seem to last forever.

Bob_n_weave
03-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Oakley's Polorized $240. Look and feel good, 99% UV protection and they don't scratch easily.