PDA

View Full Version : what kind of tuck do you use

PRECISION LC
09-22-2002, 09:51 PM
i am looking at perchasing a new work vehicle. just wondering what everyone uses and whatyou think are some good and bad parts to what you have.

Nomoslowmow
09-22-2002, 10:22 PM
We use an Isuzu NPR (a small cab-over box truck like Ryder and Sears rent) for the mowing crew. It can pull a landcape trailer (but not much more because of only 135hp!) and has a lift gate that can load anything smaller than a 36' WB. We built a 4' shelf in the front high enough to put 21' mowers under that holds all the misc, and put Trimmer trap racks on the walls for blowers, trimmers, etc.

It's box is 14' long by just under 8' wide and about 8' tall, so there is a lot of room in there. It weighs about 8,500 pounds with a gvw of 14,500, so it can carry about 6,000 pounds.

I made a removable hitch bar so I can choose between towing a trailer and using the lift gate.

The advantages are:

-low cost bought used from Ryder with easy financing.

-Super reliable medium duty truck will handle long hours and abuse (remember that even 1-ton pickups are considered light duty trucks)

-everything is out of the weather and locked up. it is like a small garage on wheels so your real garage has room to work in. At the end of the day just lock it up and you're done. It never needs to be loaded or unloaded for normal work.

-Big flat sides to put your signs on

-tight turning radius (they advertise that it's smaller than a Mustang!)

The disadvantages are:

-its awkward to climb in and out of to get stuff

-the lift gate is a slow way to load/unload mowers, so two people end up lifting them out.

-High prices to service compared to a pickup.

Some of the MEGA companies in our area use these, too, only theirs have ramps on the back instead of a lift gate. They drive their big Dixie Choppers right in.

I use a Dodge 3500 4X4 Diesel to tow the heavy trailers.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Gravel Rat
09-22-2002, 11:10 PM
I own flatdecks my last truck was a 88 F-Superduty with a 12x7 gravel box I sold it 3 weeks ago it was gas powered burned too much fuel 8 mpg at best M/T. Now I'am back to driving my old 80 F-350 with a 12x8 flatdeck it don't dump so I'am loosing a bit of work because of it :(

This old truck is pretty tired gotta find a 90s F-350 4x4 diesel that I can put a 12x8 dumping flatdeck on but I'am having a hard time finding a truck with the specs I want.

The only brand truck I will buy is Ford in the light truck market older Chevys are all right I would buy one if I had too Dodge is nothing but a joke never could build a truck for the working class.

The reason why I own flatdecks is I haul lumber to gravel so I need the flatdeck a truck with a deck shorter than 12' would be completly useless for me.

Jusmowin
09-22-2002, 11:13 PM
I have a 94 2500hd chevy pickup. It has been a really good truck for me and pulls my 6x 12 trailer with ease. It also handles my firewood deliveries (about15 to 20 cord a year )with no problems at all.

Brickman
09-23-2002, 12:15 AM
Always a Ford. Power Stroke Diesel rules.

hoagie
09-23-2002, 01:59 AM
Couldn't agree w/ you more Brickman...

FORD is the only way to go for a work truck... I now own an 02 f350 pickup 5.4 (personal/work- 70/30) and an 01 f450 PSD for work only ;)

Both handle serious daily beat downs w/ not one single problem.

My first hand experience over the last 10 or so years is this... chevy= ok personal vehicle, mild work truck.
GMC= little better on the work side/reliability.
dodge=very nice personal vehicle(IMO one of the nicest looking), junk work truck... sorry, dodge dudes, but it's the truth. We're talking SERIOUS work here, not "it tows my 6x12 w/ no problem" ANY truck will pull a trailer.
Mitsubishi=lousy personal(ugly as HELL), pretty damm reliable w/t, but w/ only a 4cyl you're limited.
Ford= the best damm work truck on the road, hands down... and is up there w/ dodge in the style department as well. And this is coming from an old school FORD hater! I used to be a chevy man all the way... UNTILL I got to work a super duty to the bones for a few yrs.

rkbrown
09-23-2002, 08:55 AM
2001 Ford F-250 PSD

Brickman
09-23-2002, 10:05 AM
Hoagie here is what I have heard over the years.

Dodge - a good truck for rough service (you would hate to tear up a nice truck :D )

Chev - Ok for play

Ford - for when you need a truck for BOTH work and play on the weekend

I only have one set of wheels, so it is Ford for me. Besides they aren't making theirs ugly like Dodge and Chev.

marley
09-23-2002, 12:20 PM
I went and got a brand new truck this year. Wanted a ford because that is all I ever have owned. The day I went to get one I could not find what I wanted (striped down work truck, diesel, 4x4). I ended up getting a 02'silver dodge quad cab,4x4,2500,diesel with the high output engine in it paired with a 6 speed tranny. I love it. I was pleasently surprised to find out by looking at the pricing info on some of the other trucks( more loaded diesels)that some of those did not come with the high output motor, but mine has it. Mine has the work truck viynl / plastic floor, cloth seats.
As far as the features I was looking for in a truck it is exactly what I was looking for, it is a worker guys rig. Because it is my personal truck too I went and put a modest lift on it, 35 inch tires and custom wheels. Oh, and a bed liner too. If I put it in first gear / 4low and romp in the pedal it just creeps. I am talking super slow. I could probably repo single wide trailers with the thing. The only the I wish it had is a seventh gear. Beacause it is geared so low if I go over 65 on the freeway it starts to get rather poor fuel economy but if that is the trade off for great pulling power than so be it. I do like fords alot, their diesels are bad to the bone and like I said earlier they all I have ever owned. I would never buy a GM product unless it was an old mucle car. Right now I am lovin' my dodge.

marley
09-23-2002, 12:33 PM
I take that back about chevy. I would own a 4.3 v6, stick, W/T model.

Dennis E.
09-23-2002, 07:10 PM
2K F-350 PSD/CC dually with a few mods.
Does the job great. Super MPG.
Would not drive anything else. Well,at least until the new G2 PSD has been out for awhile.
Can't wait!

greenngrow
09-23-2002, 08:37 PM
Depends on what you do the most of. If you mainly mow than the pickup or utility will be the best. If you are into landscaping and installs then the flat bed is a must. A dump bed is even better.