PDA

View Full Version : Compressed peat moss

siclmn
03-23-2011, 01:34 AM
I was in Home Depot today to buy peat moss and saw these little tiny squares of compressed peat moss. They said you just open the package and it will fluff up to look like regular peat moss. I have never seen this stuff before, have you?

Smallaxe
03-23-2011, 08:54 AM
You mean it is compressed the same way as spahgnum? How much are you getting per package?

siclmn
03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
It says 3 cu ft on the package. But it is a lot smaller then the normal size of sphagnum and by a lot smaller I mean about 1/8 th the size of a normal bale of 3 cu ft. And it was only $7 instead of the $11 for sphagnum.

Smallaxe
03-23-2011, 01:48 PM
I'd like to see that, because peat is much better than spahgnum in that spagnum is so hydrophobic...

Think Green
03-25-2011, 04:26 PM
sic,
The bales of peat moss you are describing is how it is sold all over to these giant ticket stores. When it is compressed into those 2-3 cu.ft. bales, it is not going to decompress like coffee in a vacuum bag. This stuff is triple shredded with obscure shards of material blended in there. You will have to work the material with a shovel or trowel and blend it with the soil of choice. Even though this stuff is hydrophobic, I use it mixed with topsoils along with composted materials from cotton mills and cow manure--composted.