PDA

View Full Version : Sub-Contracting

Slcareco
03-23-2011, 12:45 PM
I have a question, I own my own design, install, and maintain business and I just recently won a bid for an install for a masonry job. Now I am subbing that out to a buddy of mine but heres the thing.... He gave me his $/sqft rate and asked me to come up with the pricing and Im putting together the agreement what is a fair way of pricing this between me and him.

I mean shouldnt a sub be giving me the price, and an outlined agreement according to his terms and such? I feel like its become more like an employer to employee relation rather then a company to sub contractor.

How would one go about this fairly?

Dr.NewEarth
03-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I would never give a price for a subcontractor directly. There could be problems
and he could blame you and you would lose that friendship or contact.
My subcontractors give me their price. I can then add a fair percentage for a mark-up on that total cost and submit that as part of my package to the potential client.
I don't want to stress you out, but has this guy got a good track record and experience? Protect yourself. If you're the prime contractor if "it" hits the fan,
it's coming your way.
Tell him you need a drawing with specs and his total cost. He should understand that
you can't be doing his homework for him.

Also, is this guy certified? Insured? Do you have other options?

Slcareco
03-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Hes a friend of a friend whos been doing this for 30 years apparently, and has had a bit of personal issues around the time I needed the quote, so he asked me to price it based on his $/sq ft. Hes given me prices in the past this is a first of him having me do this.

andyslawncare
03-25-2011, 08:24 PM
I would pay him less if you have to figure it out. He's the professional in that field, and should tell you a rate outright for the entire job.

vtscaper
03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
friend, family whatever sub contracts need to be spelled out. Either T&M or he gives you a bid price for an exact scope of work. by having you essentially do the estimating for hm it is putting all the risk on you. you would be putting yourself into a big grey area in trms of scope, price and responsibility