PDA

View Full Version : new lawn will it grow?

ranger rick
09-23-2002, 10:40 AM
:confused: contractor seeded lawn last week i live in wisconsin 2 hrs north of chicago they seeded and put mulch on along with fert. it has rained and is only it the mid 60s during the day and in the mid 40s at night will the seed grow prior to winter and if so will it have alot of winter kill? the seed bed is damp how much water does it need this time of year? thanks

sbecker
09-23-2002, 09:23 PM
I live in Bismarck, ND Zone 3/4 and we seem to have now problems seeding late into the fall (before dorment seeding). The soil temps should be warm enough to germinate seed this time of year, infact if the lawn was seeded a week ago, you should strart to see some plants poking up. Those seedling grass plants in my experience seen to do just fine surviving the winter.

lawnstudent
09-23-2002, 10:03 PM
Turf needs to harden-off before winter sets in just as shrubs and trees. Seeding here in North-Eastern Illinois is best done between mid-August and mid-September to allow time for your turf to establish and harden-off before winter. It should be very close to the same time frame for your area (2 hours north of Chicago). Planting after mid-September only increases the risk of losing some of the new turf to winter kill, especially if we get a cold, windy winter with little to no snow cover.

Last year we saw a very mild October and November. This year is looking like a possible late winter again with the temps we have experienced this September. If winter holds off like last year you should be in great shape. Even if it sets in earlier you should be OK. It really depends on the winter weather.

Keep those seeds moist (not wet - seeds still need oxygen) until germination. After germination you have a little root system with little water storage capacity. Water once a day for the first week after germination. Once every other day for the next two weeks. You don't need to put alot of water down because roots are still shallow. Just don't let the new seedling reach the terminal wilt point, especially if we get some warm days (Indian Summer) before winter. Good luck.

jim

mklawnman
09-24-2002, 01:21 PM
Shouldnt the rye grass grow first like before the winter hits?? We reseeded around a new addition a few years back on my house and we didnt cover it with anything, just dragged a chain over the soil so the seed was under the soil some, and if i remember correctly by snowfall in december we saw grass starting to grow in areas. And by spring most of the rye had finally grown up and the real grass started to take off so no errosion was there. So im guessing you should be ok with it growing. May not get to mow it much till May or June when the lawn gets fully grown.
Matt

lawnstudent
09-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Perennial ryegrass has extreamly rigorus seed. It will germinate in the first week. Kentucky bkuegrass will take 21 days to germinate. This is why a seed mix with perennial ryegrass and Kentucky bluegrass should not exceed 20% ryegrass. More than 20% ryegrass and the ryegrass will dominate the mix. The Kentucky bluegrass will struggle to compete.

jim