PDA

View Full Version : Spring Seeding...Please Help!

ky-lawn-guy
03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
I know that overseeding in the fall is preferred and we have had great success over the years. As most know we had a horrible drought as well as a crabgrass problem last year so many of our lawns are in pretty bad shape. Many of our customers are wanting us to overseed their lawn this year. Most of these have very large areas where there is almost no regular grass and just leftover dead crabgrass and are now filling in with chickweed, henbit, ect. The question is that i am putting down all our first apps with dimension for crabgrass prevention. I dont know if its more important to get the preemergent down to prevent crabgrass from coming back or to just overseed and then with starter fert and then just spray for weeds later. If i dont seed they may have almost no grass at all and left with huge bare areas. I know fall would be a better time to seed but some of these yards would be almost completely bare all season if we wait. Any suggestions on which route to take?

Smallaxe
03-23-2011, 04:03 PM
You are looking at the classic risk/reward conflict...

Why did the lawns burnup and allow CG to take over? Even if you succeed in new grass what prevents the sae thing happening again?

If they are willing spend the money you can always overseed and put down Tupersan or some such stuff along with it.

You could seed now and when your new gowth has 3 leaves, then put some pre-m down...

Most importantly, your client needs to be willing to mulch mow and mow high or not at all, during a hot drought period...

Dr.NewEarth
03-23-2011, 07:57 PM
check the homeowner assistance forum

RigglePLC
03-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Difficult situation. Smallaxe is right. Be sure customer is willing to spend the money and pay what it costs with no guarantee of success. Seed now, (high quality rye/blue) apply Tupersan, apply Dimension 30 days after that, then probably, Drive plus broadleaf weed control. Charge extra if you arrive at anytime and the lawn is not moist. Give customer a moisture meter. Charge an extra hundred dollars up front--refundable if moisture meter stays over medium at all times.

ky-lawn-guy
03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
check the homeowner assistance forum

Really, did you read the question? We have over 150 regular customers and have been in business for over 10 years. This is just our first year doing chemical apps and yes we are fully insured and licensed.

As for Riggle and Smallaxe, thanks for the helpful info. As I said typically we do this type of overseeding in the fall and have great success but this year is a worse situation that needs attention now. We did not do all the chem/fert apps last year for these people so that is why we have started to do our own.

mkiefer
03-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I agree with smallaxe, Yor have to weigh in the customer's maintannce habits.It will tale alot of TLC to get that new turf through a hot summer. it is a major commitment on the homeowners part to keep a regular mowing and watering schedule.

phillie
03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
if you seed soon enough you can still get pre down in time. I agree with riggle that you should set realistic expectations as far as results.Let the customer know that they will more than likely get cg again this year and you will have to spray it as it comes up and the weeds will have to wait to be sprayed unless you use something like imprellis or octane.

Smallaxe
03-25-2011, 10:20 PM
if you seed soon enough you can still get pre down in time. I agree with riggle that you should set realistic expectations as far as results.Let the customer know that they will more than likely get cg again this year and you will have to spray it as it comes up and the weeds will have to wait to be sprayed unless you use something like imprellis or octane.

Yes... that is possible... However, it is more likely that you will win... rather than lose...

More importantly, you will be growing turf rather than tolerating mud... It is always worth the risk, when you observe the reality of how spring turns into summer... :)