PDA

View Full Version : trailer wiring help

lawnwizards
03-23-2011, 06:20 PM
the instructions seemed simple enough. connect the yellow and brown wires to the left side and the green and brown to the right. the stop lights work but when i turn the right blinker on i get nothing but when i turn the left on both sides blink. can someone please help. this is driving me crazy.

The Lone Mower
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I would check the ground on the lights, and the truck/trailer. I always run a direct line from the truck side to the trailer, and not rely on just the hitch connection for grounding.

Also, check the output of the plug on the truck side- clean the terminals and apply dielectric grease to them.

Make sure all connections are clean/tight. FWIW- I solder all the connections as well, and shrink wrap them for weather protection.

Good luck.

Knight511
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.accessconnect.com/trailer_wiring_diagram.htm

Your post isn't very specific. If you wired the trailer correctly, perhaps your vehicle harness is not.

Run the ground from the harness directly to the trailer frame... do not ground it at a wimpy light connection... directly to the frame with a good bolt and nut.

lawnwizards
03-23-2011, 11:23 PM
the vehicle plug is factory. i installed the wires according to the instructions. i'm pretty sure i got a good ground. i was getting almost 11 volts on the left side and around 10 on the right. i'll try and ground from my truck and see if that helps any. the vehicle plug just may be screwy though. its on an 04 dodge ram.

integrityman
03-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Check your GROUND- Gotta have a really good ground.

Knight511
03-24-2011, 04:24 PM
the vehicle plug is factory. i installed the wires according to the instructions. i'm pretty sure i got a good ground. i was getting almost 11 volts on the left side and around 10 on the right. i'll try and ground from my truck and see if that helps any. the vehicle plug just may be screwy though. its on an 04 dodge ram.

Something isn't right.... you should not see a voltage drop from left to right like that. Voltage drop from 12v should be about the same since the length of wire from the battery is about the same.

It sounds like a ground issue at least in part. I would also check the vehicle harness with a voltmeter to make sure the right things happen in the right plug... there is no reason both blinkers should work together.

lawnwizards
03-25-2011, 04:02 PM
lets see here, i took off the lights and cleaned out the mounting holes and i put copper washer back on to get a good connection. i ran my ground to the actual trailer and not just the tongue.
i can take the right side blinker connection apart and the stop light still works on both sides and my left blinker works. i'm at my wits end right now. i'm about to just use it that way.

oh yea, i even bought a 7 to 4 converter and it still does the same thing.

dishboy
03-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Forget the instructions get a volt meter or test lamp and check which terminal ON YOUR TRUCK gets voltage. Once you know what your output is then you can wire . Sounds like you hooked your turn to your tail lights, that's why both lit off one terminal. Take off your trailer lens covers off so you can see what filament is actually lighting up, I bet it is the dimmer one. .

lawnwizards
03-25-2011, 07:22 PM
i got it working. the ground must've been the culprit. i worked and worked and got a solid ground but must've blown a fuse in the process. i replaced the fuse and now everything works. thanks for the help guys.