PDA

View Full Version : Dead St. Augustine

TexasFire221
03-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I have a customer that is having some grass issues. There is one place where the grass has been replaced 3 times and keeps dying back to dirt. The area is sprinklered so water is not an issue. Could there be a soil issue? I thought about taking a sample and sending off to be tested. Anu thoughts?

Florida Gardener
03-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Sounds like it to me....
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
03-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Is it in a real shady spot or does it get enough light?

I know we have been having Take All Patch since our our soil PH has been rising. Does this spot start dying in a semi irregular shape with the Stolons dying and roots a dark color and hard with maybe a few spots of green in the dead area? If this sounds like the problem then you have Take All Patch and it will kill the new sod also. Spread a thin layer of Peat Moss [it is very acidic] and water it in. This will lower the soil PH and Take All cannot survive in PH lower than 6.7.

Turf Dawg
03-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ndwWBX7ugo

TexasFire221
03-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Well there really isnt anything left of the grass but I did fond one runner and did notice that it was black toward the roots. She is pretty set in her ways, she wants a layer of soil removed and new replaced with new grass. I will also give the peat moss a try.