PDA

View Full Version : Tow bar for Lazer Z HP

Westbrooklawn
09-23-2002, 05:11 PM
Has anyone purchased or fabricated a tow point for the back of a Lazer Z HP? I have always pulled my feldman behind an old JD 185, but would like to use my Z this year....unfortunately there is not a place on the back to insert a hitch pin. I'm sure i can fabricate something to bolt on the frame, but thought I would ask if anyone has already come up with a good idea.

65hoss
09-23-2002, 05:13 PM
I just made one recently that bolts on the back of my HP. Angle iron with a hole in the middle. Works great. Have used it a few times pulling 1000-1500 lbs. The one you can buy from the dealer is too expensive.

Westbrooklawn
09-23-2002, 05:15 PM
Although I didn't mention it in my post, you are exactly right, I KNEW if I bought something from the dealer it would be an outrageous cost.

vandrv
09-23-2002, 08:45 PM
When I ordered my HP I ordered it with the hitch kit. It was fifty bucks extra One thing that also came with it was a sticker which said not to tow more than 90lbs or you could damage the hydraulic motors, so I'd be careful if you are towing 1500lbs.

Doogiegh
09-23-2002, 08:52 PM
A machine that weighs 800 pounds and could have an operator that weighs anywhere from.... 95 to 275 pounds (small female to large male... typically speaking..)

Can't tow more than 90 pounds?

Think of the average 6th grade KID on a skateboard.. Doesn't take a whole lot of effort to push him around.. Now put him on grass on larger diameter and thickness tires....

I don't know if I'd go to 1000 pounds, that's 1/2 of a small car... but 90 seems a little low..

Gary

TLS
09-23-2002, 09:03 PM
90 lbs is the recommended DRAW weight.

Think of a LARGE fish scale. Hook up your (whatever your towing) to the scale and then the scale to your mower. If it exceeds 90lbs draw weight, your exceeding the manufacturers recommendations.

Remember, these AREN'T tractors!

Doogiegh
09-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Do 90 pounds is the amount of PULL or "Torque" being used to tow around.

Got it.

You COULD tow something that weighs 90 pounds using STRING, if the wheels are bearings were good enough.

But adding a 90 pound pulling force.. That would take a real strong rope OR metal brackets.

And I put 90 pounds of pulling force could be a 400-500 pound weight, like a roller.

Sure a roller weighs 400 pounds and will CRUSH your foot, but guys can still grab hold of the metal and wiggle it and move it around...

GOt it,
thanks!.
<G>