PDA

View Full Version : aerating medians

TurfGuyTX
09-23-2002, 06:27 PM
Do any of you with a towable aerator do medians. We have 20-30 with 8-10 curbs and I'm wondering if I could pull one of the towables up on the curb without damage. Any info is appreciated.:

rvsuper
09-23-2002, 08:33 PM
I have a tow behind and I made ramps for it last spring. Take a 2x6 and bevel the edges so the edge of the board lies flat with the street. Do the same thing for the curb too, I don't know what your curbs look like though. But you also have to make them for your mower, atv, etc., whatever your pulling it with. I only do one of these, but I have seen medians in the cities that they have an entrance area for the mowers, so they can drive right on the grass without ramps or anything.

TurfGuyTX
09-24-2002, 08:26 PM
These medians don't have any kind of ramps. Making some has been on my thoughts though. I'm not one who likes the thought of getting on and off of the mower dozens of times. Any other thoughts out there? By the way, thanks for responding.

MOW ED
09-25-2002, 09:25 AM
I know you have a towable and you are asking a specific question but would it be worth it to you to get a 3pt aerator or rent one with a 3 pt.
I own a compact Mits 15HP tractor that I specifically use for aerating and it will climb a curb with no problem. No on and off. Its a Classen split drive 42" from RPM sales. CaptDevo on the board.

TurfGuyTX
09-25-2002, 09:39 AM
That's the set-up that would work perfect for this job. I just need to see if I can find anywhere that's rent it. Thanks for your help and the picture.

walker-talker
09-25-2002, 10:14 AM
Man I would love to have a little tractor like that. Does it damage the existing turf at all? What does something like that cost? Can you find them used?

Sorry for the question bombing
MATT

MOW ED
09-25-2002, 10:51 AM
I got it off of E-Bay at Thanksgiving of last year. The tractor was 2500.00 but it came with a 48" pto finish mower that I resold for 300 bucks. There are lots of used grey market tractors on the internet and e-bay has its share.
The tractor has turf tires on it. Some models came with ag tires. These were made in the 80's and I have found it perfect for large area aerating. It gets in spots that are tight also.
There are other tractor sites on the net also, if you want info on them, e-mail me because I don't want to violate posting guidelines.

The 15hp diesel is a very strong motor. It doesn't use any fuel at all. I aerated 6 10K lawns that were attatched last spring and used just under a gallon of fuel. It came with about 900 hours on it which isn't much. It can sit all year and turn the key to start. I am going out with it today.
Definately worth it for me, even if I don't use it much. If I was real agressive in advertising aeration, I could have made lots more than I did.

Thanks for asking.

walker-talker
09-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Does it have the PTO?

MATT

Rooster
09-25-2002, 03:53 PM
MOW ED

Nice looking unit!

Rick

MOW ED
09-25-2002, 07:05 PM
Thanks Rick, I was crusin on her today. Still too dry to pull good plugs yet. More rain comin tonight.

Walker Talker,
Yep it has a 3 speed PTO and it works. At this time I don't have a use for it but I am thinking of making a spray unit out of it and use the PTO for the pump. It turns the right way too. You have to be careful with some of the grey tractors as the pto's spin backwards.

LawnLad
09-25-2002, 08:15 PM
Cool toy... um, I mean tool. How much does it weigh? What type of trailer do you use?

MOW ED
09-25-2002, 10:21 PM
Thanks,
Ya gotta have toys, tools are toys you work with.
The tractor weighs about 900#. I don't put the concrete blocks on the aerator until I get to the job. I balance the front out with 200# of round weights on a home made tray.
I use my same lawn trailer, a dual axle 7000# 14" open.

ranger520
09-26-2002, 06:17 AM
Mow ed,

That setup you have looks slick. A set-up like that is not much more then a good quality walk behind unit. Checked them out on ebay, something to definately think about for next year. What a body saver.