PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic coated exhaust manifolds?

Chop Stuff Up
03-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Anyone ever had it done? Is there really any advantage to it?

Knight511
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
On a OEM manifold? Not a real advantage.

Ceramic coating serves 2 purposes on a vehicle:

1. Prevent corrosion.
2. Hold in heat.

Coating a header (I assume that is what you are talking about) will slightly decrease temps around the header and MAY (big may there) give more power as a result... in reality, there are better ways to get a little more power.

What are you expecting from it and why are you looking into it?

Chop Stuff Up
03-25-2011, 05:00 AM
On a OEM manifold? Not a real advantage.

Ceramic coating serves 2 purposes on a vehicle:

1. Prevent corrosion.
2. Hold in heat.

Coating a header (I assume that is what you are talking about) will slightly decrease temps around the header and MAY (big may there) give more power as a result... in reality, there are better ways to get a little more power.

What are you expecting from it and why are you looking into it?

Well, I saw them advertised in a trucking paper and wondered if it was a load of crap or if there was really an advantage to them. I wouldn't necessarily be worried about power, just wondering if I'd get more life out of an engine that runs/drives for long periods of time, especially with all the stop and go in city traffic.

I also got to thinking, what if you coated a lawnmower exhaust? Might possibly get more life out of the mower engine? Maybe that's a little far fetched.

Knight511
03-25-2011, 08:41 AM
It really doesn't add much if any life to your engine.... you can add more life to your engine by following the SEVERE conditions maintenance schedule on it (or performing the work even more often). If it is a diesel engine, you can also extend its life by running biodiesel fuel as it lubricates the cylinders while also being the fuel.

I see NO benefit to ceramic coating the lawn mower... since ceramic is more about keeping "under hood" temps down, most mowers I have seen (I haven't seen them all) don't have an enclosed space for the engine... even the ones with an engine cover are HEAVILY vented... and with a heavily vented hood on my last car (2001 Subaru Impreza with 2 vents and a scoop on the hood), I drove from Ozark, MO to my home in Texas (over 500 miles) with blown head gaskets and no coolant on air cooling alone without ever overheating the engine... ;)

mow4cash
03-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Ive only really heard of using ceramic headers with turbos to keep heat down.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-25-2011, 07:51 PM
My uncle does it on his snowmobiles. looks trick. function, IDK

zedosix
03-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Did it to my mustang exhaust a few years back, right from manifold to exhaust pipes. Prevents alot of underhood heat and costs alot. Thats what I remember from it.

cms289
03-27-2011, 11:14 PM
It holds in the heat very well and does look very nice. Hard coating. Often increases the flow as well (not a bunch, but should). Have them on a couple of cars (jet hot did them) years ago, custom made header for a boss 302 into a 68 mustang and custom made headers for a 69 Torino Cobra, both of the headers were very costly to make, and I did not want them to rust out like they can do, for this, the jet hot has worked wonders. Over 10 years on each and both are still in great condition. Still look like new, no rust, no soft spots in the normal rust areas. Also did it on my old A36, after the they rusted, I got new ones and had them coated so they would not rust again, on increased output, I can tell you on hot day climb outs it lowered the temp under the cowl and seemed to keep cyl head / oil temps down and seemed to climb faster, but maybe that was just me justifying the cost :-).

Not sure what your putting them on, but most of the race stuff I see has it, but they are trying to get every little bit of power they can. Also, the HP diesel guys all seem to have lots of coated stuff under the hood, but I think that is to keep the heat for the turbo.

What are you looking for. Protection!!! Worth it 100% +. Just power??? Dollar for dollar, not the best return if your just looking at power increase. Looks, well, what value do you place on that. Overall, I like the coating, on the car I am building I will use them again, nice that now you can get it from many of the companies directly.

South Florida Lawns
04-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that ceramic helps the pistons rotate smoother, burning less fuel and adding years to the engine frame and trans.

Don't forget the synthetic signal fluid, thats a must when ceramic coating your manifold.