PDA

View Full Version : Part Timer ?

NHLawns
09-23-2002, 07:32 PM
I was wondering if your clients know if you are a part time business owner, or if you tell them up front that this is not currently your full time job but you are working to make that way. And if so does it have any affect on how they precieve you and the way you operate. Just wondering how people handel this, or have handeled it when they were starting out.
I am currently a part timmer, fully insured and liceinced, and a few of my clients are aware that this is not my full time job.

Just curious:confused:

Scag48
09-23-2002, 10:48 PM
It shouldn't matter, at least I don't think it should. My customers could care less that I go to school and mow their lawns after school, they obviously know I'm a part-timer. Just be proffessional at what you do and if they say otherwise, have your credentials ready to back up your beliefs.

MikeLT1Z28
09-23-2002, 10:52 PM
i usually only mention it if they question price or frequency of service. as long as you do a good job and are reliable it shouldn't matter though.

cglservice
09-23-2002, 11:12 PM
I part time wright now , it does not seem to matter wtih my customers, I bring it up front to my customers just so we have no misunderstanding. I give them the same quality of service now as I would if I was full time probaly more so now because i wont to make sure that they stay my clients for the future.

scott's turf
09-24-2002, 07:31 AM
I don't mention it untill they have seen my work and understand that part time does not mean shoddy work. I have to laugh at some of my new customers that I first meet and they say how they are an engineer and they are too busy to take care of their lawn. I usually don't mention that I am one too and service around 30 plus my own in two days. I don't think they would like to here that.

bubble boy
09-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by scott's turf
I don't mention it untill they have seen my work and understand that part time does not mean shoddy work. I have to laugh at some of my new customers that I first meet and they say how they are an engineer and they are too busy to take care of their lawn. I usually don't mention that I am one too and service around 30 plus my own in two days. I don't think they would like to here that.

I must admit, i don't know how you do have the time. Engineering doesn't strike me as a career that is "low maintenance". i have a few friends that are engineers and they work pretty intense weeks. i really respect that.:drinkup:

i have considered getting a job in finance (what i studied) and going part time, but i don't think i could do it. I can't handle the stress most days now.

do you cut after work, or on days off? and when do you do the paperwork?

and on the original topic, i don't see why it matters to the customer. good service is just that. they don't need to know.

scott's turf
09-24-2002, 08:08 AM
The last two years I had someone work for me and I just did the books and some repairs as well as any big landscaping jobs. This year has been harder than most. Just moved to a new area, and a new job and the FT guy I had working for me at $16/hr (which I though was pretty good) quit with no notice. So I was sick of the headaches and decided to cut my hours back as an engineer to 3 9-10 hrs per day and then mow all day on thurs and fri. I had to drop about a third of my customers in the process. It has been very hard but the money is great. I get the best of both worlds, benefits, paid time off, and extra money mowing. The drawback is working 55 hrs a week plus books. Next year I will try to hire again but I am in a perdictament (sp?) that I can only employ one FT guy and if he quits I am screwed. So we will see. I am working on a couple designs for the lawn care industry that I hope to patent this winter. Maybe I can melt my two careers into one.
Bubbleboy, don't give up on your education for mowing. If you can go to college than by all means do it.

-Scott

Firefighter Dave
09-24-2002, 08:30 AM
I've let all my customers know that I do lawns for a side job. I am a firefighter and my days of the week change all the time so I explain to them that I am a fulltime firefighter and that help them understand the differeant days for cutting..... also by telling the that I am a firefighter helps getting them as a customer, kinda sells since Sept 11.

Dave

:blob2: :blob2:

bubble boy
09-24-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by scott's turf

Bubbleboy, don't give up on your education for mowing. If you can go to college than by all means do it.

-Scott

definately agree: and did finish!! University of Toronto, class of 2000. Hon. BA in Economics. Degree on the wall behind me,nice layer of dirt and grass on it. Never figured i'd to this after graduating, just kinda happened. Would love to do more, MBA or MA, just need the time.

firefighter dave, i guess that would help:D

i know there are many firefighters on LS, true heroes. no more needs to be said but THANK YOU.

MikeLT1Z28
09-24-2002, 08:44 AM
i meant to say i only tell them i am full time if the need arises. can't edit my message now.

rkbrown
09-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Scott:

You have an understanding or easy-to-get-along-with employer to allow you to cut back on your hours. That is a great set-up. I am not as fortunate. I work in Software Development and when we have a new release of our online trading platform, we can be here for quite a few consecutive hours. It is usually on Friday night that we move stuff into production, so we might be here all weekend. If thats the case, the jobs that I do on the weekend are done Monday and Tuesday evenings. I try not to mow on weekends and leave those for mulching or other landscaping jobs.

The fact that I am part time usually comes up when they ask "When can you work me in to your schedule ?" I let them know that I will be there in the evenings and if I get rained out or otherwise postponed, it will be on a Saturday of Sunday and ask if that would be alright with them. I do my books in the evening. On normal days in my day job, I try to get to wiork at or before 6am and work till about 3:45. During the summer that gives me a good amount of daylight to mow in the evenings.

bubble boy, I agree with Scott, don't sacrifice your education. Although I am fairly new here, I am not completely new to the Industry. I worked for an lco for 4.5 years while I was in college (fulltime during Spring Break and Summers and half days while school was going on).

scott's turf
09-24-2002, 10:00 AM
Yes, rkbrown my situation is good with my employer. Work here is really slow and they were more than fine with me to cut my hours. I am going FT again in November. I have owned my lawn biz for over 8 years now and love doing it. I just found that I could make much more money in a shorter time doing engineering and running my biz at the sametime. It is nice to have benefits and a good retiremnt package paid for. Plus the green industry doesn't bring in a lot of green. Maybe I should say it brings in a lot of gross but not much net. Working for someone else is all net. Trying to net over 60k mowing is not easy either.

bobbygedd
09-24-2002, 01:37 PM
i am part time. i do not tell them i am part time.the real picky ones may not hire u cus they feel u may do a second rate job.