PDA

View Full Version : Checkerboard Cutting???

sonandfather
09-23-2002, 09:09 PM
COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CUT LIKE A CHECKERBOARD? A CUSTOMER ASKED ME AND I WAS NOT SURE COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME??

longviewlawncare
09-23-2002, 09:18 PM
the way you do it is stripe the yard, then come back and stripe it in a perpindicular pattern. that gives it the checked look

rvsuper
09-23-2002, 09:23 PM
I mow one way one week and go perpendicular the next week, keep doing that until the nice, deep pattern is in. Don't do it all year though, because then you will form ruts.

Flex-Deck
09-23-2002, 10:55 PM
RVLI - I am from Mediapolis, Where is Rock Valley? and thanks for the input about ruts - I think that would be a problem in our end of the state, especially in the spring and fall rainy seasons. We just try to mow different angles every time and it gives a unique look, as you can usually see about the last 4 mowings at different angles.

Thanks, Brad

rvsuper
09-23-2002, 11:15 PM
Northwest Iowa. Look for Sioux Center on the map and then about 15 miles east of there.

Scag48
09-24-2002, 12:01 AM
I mow perpendicular every week. Helps prevents ruts and your stripes are awesome. Only way to go.

greenman
09-24-2002, 12:42 AM
Oh, you northerners and your cool season grasses. I wish I could get those kind of stripes down here, but noooo, unless its Zoysia,yyessssss! :blob1:

awm
09-24-2002, 06:20 AM
well i can do a fair stripe,where the customer will allow it. but if i put the checkerbd down. id get called in for a little conference. just the way it is in this area.:)

Tony Harrell
09-24-2002, 06:41 AM
To form a checkerboard, stripe it one way and then stripe it across the other way. Then restripe every other stripe from your first angle. this will take some time because you'll have to travel all the way around in your cleanup pass several times for the every other stripe. Why not try a wave? It's a real attention getter and it's as simple as straight passes without the boredom of straight lines. Btw-if you do decide to try the wave, do it at an angle for more visual effect. Doing it at an angle makes the ground look like there's hills (hence the name wave).

gravedigger5
09-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Why not try a wave? It's a real attention getter and it's as simple as straight passes without the boredom of straight lines. Btw-if you do decide to try the wave, do it at an angle for more visual effect. Doing it at an angle makes the ground look like there's hills (hence the name wave). Tony do you mean instead of driving in a straight line, kinda swerve back and forth when laying down stripes. Not sure what you mean but i'd like to give it a try (on my own yard first) just to see what it looked like. Thanks Marc

Expert Lawns
09-24-2002, 08:32 PM
here' what i do on my smaller residential lawns. it takes more time, but is worth it...

i stripe the lawn going one way. then i go over it again making the stripes more visible and detailed. i then go and stripe it one more time in another direction. usually a 45 degree angle from the first. the trick on the last stripe is to do it so it faces the customers driveway. this way they can see the nice stripes (or checkered look) each time they pull in.

the other thing you will notice about striping is the way the sun hits the grass. sometimes its hard to see them at every angle. just take some notes from this thread, try a few of them out tomorrow. good luck !:p

wattsup
09-24-2002, 09:54 PM
I do all of my yards in four directions. You can see stripes from any direction. East-West, North-South, NE-SW,NW-SE. I will try to post some pics in a few days.

greenman
09-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Doing waves on a lawn, just don't get accused of driving under the influence:eek: .After I make my checkerboard, the customer and I will play a game or two, only thing is I'm not very good at checkers.:cool:

Tony Harrell
09-25-2002, 06:33 AM
Yes, the wave is just like it sounds, a wavy line. Start with a straight line somewhere in the middle of the area to be striped, then weave in and out down to the end being sure to not make sharp curves. You want to have gentle flowing curves all the way down and then back up. Once you have the first curvy line set, just follow the lines like any other stripe. I use this to break up any patterns from before because I've found that patterns will become somewhat permanent if you don't change them up.

MOW ED
09-25-2002, 09:54 AM
I always wanted to try a spiral.:rolleyes:

hustlers
09-25-2002, 11:43 PM
I can make a beatiful rainbow stripe with my Walker

Im sick of stripes, they aint golf courses.
I prefer a big patch of dark green grass.
Stripes are a cover up for a bad lawn
and can improve a nice lawn if they arent dark and look
painted. Dont over due it

GreenQuest Lawn
09-26-2002, 11:04 PM
Wavy?:D

Tony Harrell
09-27-2002, 06:01 AM
With all of this growth and now the rain, I'm gonna have some nice pics soon.

awm
09-27-2002, 08:12 AM
hey tod . u got that wave dn bud.
guess it keeps things interesting.
if i tried that ,my elderly folks would
have me arrested.for impersonating their lco.:D :D different strokes an all.