PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Chevy Tiltmaster

Maco Services
03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
Guys, we typically run small crews, a bed mounted ramp or 5x8 trailer typically holds everything we need for most of out "edge/mow/blow" work. Our landscaping is maybe 5% of our revenue.

Well, we are back in the season where we tend to get large acreage mows that realtors want to keep nice for the summer selling season. So, I'm looking at some dedicated full size mowing rigs, but I'm frugal, so there is no way I'm looking at a new one.

Early 90's Chevy Tiltmaster. Bed is a little beat up, but decent doubleramp bed and racks, recently repainted.. isuzu turbo engine, with receipts from the past two years for fan clutch, turbo, liners, brakes. I believe the engine was entirely rebuilt. No AC, but the thing starts right up. Is relatively slow, barely getting to 60-65 floored on the interstate. About 200k on the whole unit, 5k miles on the rebuild, if that. I believe they were having overheat problems, but it stayed in the middle of the range, moved around, but stayed away from the red the entire time I was driving it.

I think I can get it for around 5k, but don't know the "things to watch out for" on these units, and if many can be had for the same price. I've seen a handful for 10k, but not with any recent rebuild, but typically newer.

What to look for? Any why do they call it a Tiltmaster? I see a "TILT" on the column lever, but didn't do anything. Is this an auxilery if I had a accessory that needed a built in switch? I didn't see any PTO off the transmission, but only briefly looked. Thanks in advance for the response.

John

Maco Services
03-25-2011, 10:52 AM
Anyone? Bueler? Bueler? Anyone?

Just curious if this is a good/bad price and if there is anything I should look out for.

Thanks

OmegaRed
03-25-2011, 11:02 AM
who else thought the title said "titmaster"

aird208
03-25-2011, 01:04 PM
I believe it is called a tilt master because the cab tilts forward to expose the engine. 5K seems a little high for the year, but depends on the overall condition. We like ours for the most part. Although it is in the shop again, this time getting a new turbo as there was a metal airflow director in the air intake that broke loose and got into the front side of the turbo and ruined all the turbine fins.

Maco Services
03-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Ah got it. What is the "tilt" description on the right column for? Accessory?

If it was original with no work, I'd say high too, but with almost 2-3k in replacement parts in the last two years, I thought it potentially a decent deal.

Does a 60-65mph pedal to the floor top speed sound about right?
It has an "Eco" setting, which slowed the truck considerably, but it likely wouldn't maintain 60mph up any decent grade, and that was unloaded. Normal, concerning? Clogged fuel filter? Air filter looked new. Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device

aird208
03-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Was the tilt you saw on the steering column? If so it means the steering column will tilt back and forth for the different sized drivers that may use the truck.

65mph is about as fast they'll go.

Eco mode is there so the truck wont require you to use the brakes as much.

The trucks will not get anywhere fast but they will get there.

hosejockey2002
03-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Same truck as the Isuzu NPR. Like others have said, 60-65 mph top speed, never going to be a speed demon. The old Isuzus only had maybe 135-140 hp, but are reliable and economical.

Maco Services
03-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Good to know. Anything particular I should look for on a 92 as an expensive failure point, or a warning sign to possible failure?

John
Posted via Mobile Device

LBA1999
03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
I used to have a 1999 Izuzu NQR (same as NPR but heavier GVW) and it was a tank. The 4 cylinder izuzu diesels are proven and can move a heavy load. I had a 6 speed manual in mine and it was the best towing truck I have ever owned. it had a 14' box that you could load up and then hook as big a trailer as you wanted and it didn't even notice. It will do 65 mph no matter if you are empty or have any load on it, no matter how heavy. for mowing lawns it would be perfect because they are very maneuverable also.

ghunter502
04-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Good to know. Anything particular I should look for on a 92 as an expensive failure point, or a warning sign to possible failure?

John
Posted via Mobile Device
Do not buy it I had one that was doing about the same thing they are gutless, and if it overheating just a matter of time til engine rebuild time. The transmissions are junk I had to rebuild mine twice in 30000 miles. Just save your money don't buy this one look for a different option you will save yourself so much more money in the long run very expensive to work on. Oh by the way mine was a 93 model. I just sold mine for cheap they are shipping it to south america for parts. Good Luck