PDA

View Full Version : Takeuchi and Gehl/Mustang Marriage Over???

Digdeep
03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
One of my Bobcat contacts is out at ConExpo and told me that the rumor on the street is that the CTL marriage between Takeuchi and Gehl/Mustang is over. Has anyone heard anything on this? it would be interesting news if confirmed.

bobcat_ron
03-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Maybe Takeuchi wants to build a rubber tire version of their CTL's and getting rid of Mustang is the way out?
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
03-25-2011, 07:21 PM
This is just an observation (I was not told of anything) but I don't think TK is feeling like investing in rubber tired machines right now. I just got the feeling that they are trying to get through this slump in one piece. Their changes to their machines are coming very slowly. They were upgrading their machines to the 200 series last ConExpo and they still don't have all the machines updated. I sense they holding tight.

stuvecorp
03-25-2011, 07:43 PM
I would be for it -wait for it - then I could put a VTS on a TK! :)

bobcat_ron
03-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Takeuchi doesn't need to upgrade, they are fine right where they are now.

Digdeep
03-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Anybody know if Takeuchi was impacted by the earthquake and Tsunami? Maybe a few of their suppliers were and they don't want to have to supply Mustang/Gehl with parts that they could use just for their machines.

AWJ Services
03-25-2011, 08:31 PM
This is just an observation (I was not told of anything) but I don't think TK is feeling like investing in rubber tired machines right now. I just got the feeling that they are trying to get through this slump in one piece. Their changes to their machines are coming very slowly. They were upgrading their machines to the 200 series last ConExpo and they still don't have all the machines updated. I sense they holding tight.

I have no knowledge of anything about Takeuchi but I would feel like this would be a smart decision if I was in there shoes.
The largest Bobcat dealer in Atlanta is closing in the coming months. It only seems like writing on the wall.

JDSKIDSTEER
03-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I have no knowledge of anything about Takeuchi but I would feel like this would be a smart decision if I was in there shoes.
The largest Bobcat dealer in Atlanta is closing in the coming months. It only seems like writing on the wall.

Funny the Bobcat dealer hear is struggling. Since Doosan bought them out they cannot get inventory or parts. Maybe Doosan will help me out by buying Takeuchi also.:)

AWJ Services
03-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Funny the Bobcat dealer hear is struggling. Since Doosan bought them out they cannot get inventory or parts. Maybe Doosan will help me out by buying Takeuchi also.:)

Doosan sold all of there Corporate owned stores in Ga to Rhinehart in Rome. Rhinehart decided to close the largest store in Lake City.

JDSKIDSTEER
03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Doosan sold all of there Corporate owned stores in Ga to Rhinehart in Rome. Rhinehart decided to close the largest store in Lake City.

WOW. They buy trailers at the same place I do and they say they have ordered several lateley. I wonder why they would close their larges store?

AWJ Services
03-26-2011, 10:34 AM
WOW. They buy trailers at the same place I do and they say they have ordered several lateley. I wonder why they would close their larges store?

Doosan and them had an agreement that Doosan would pay the rent (25k a month) for a limited number of years to get them to take the store. The buisness in the area I guess did not warrant kepping the store so they bailed on it from what I was told.
The closest Bobcat dealer is now in North Atlanta( Buford) about 60 miles from the area.

AWJ Services
03-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Mason Tractor bought out a dealer local here and they have since converted from Tak to all Kubota at that dealer. Lasheley tractor bought out a New holland dealer and has since closed it. Yancey brothers built a huge facility and then closed it. Sothside of Atlanta is no mans land for equipment.

stuvecorp
03-27-2011, 04:29 PM
I had heard that Gehl and Mustang don't market the TK's in Europe but use the VTS to have a 'track' machine.

stuvecorp
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
I'm still checking but heard it is official as of today that TK will not supply CTL's anymore to Gehl and Mustang.

ksss
04-02-2011, 01:15 AM
Thats really not a bad idea. Design a machine to accept the VTS, it would be cheaper than designing your own CTL and you know the system works.

stuvecorp
04-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Thats really not a bad idea. Design a machine to accept the VTS, it would be cheaper than designing your own CTL and you know the system works.

It's odd that it seems to work for Gehl/Mustang over in Europe? I know they have(or had) the deal with TK here but wonder what will the future track machine be from Gehl/Mustang?

To me I think it is the best option. The problem is Loegering isn't truly 'independent' with Terex owning them. I think with some engineering the VTS could overcome the issues that have been the problem.

jefftb
04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Here's the official announcement from CE Unbound....

The newly-created Manitou Americas will host the sales, marketing and support teams for North America and Latin America, supporting the Gehl, Manitou, Mustang and EDGE brands (CEAttachments). Manitou Americas will also be home of the Compact Equipment Division with state-of-the-art R&D and manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Texas.

Looks like Manitou is going to spend some money on the company. They've stayed behind the scene for sometime. They bought it in 2008 and not even touched really the marketing or branding of the products, completely unlike Doosan and Bobcat.

I'm betting in 18 months that one of the brand names disappears. My money is on Mustang disappearing. I also bet Manitou hangs that VTS unit on the Gehl product as their CTL product option.

Digdeep
04-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Here's the official announcement from CE Unbound....

The newly-created Manitou Americas will host the sales, marketing and support teams for North America and Latin America, supporting the Gehl, Manitou, Mustang and EDGE brands (CEAttachments). Manitou Americas will also be home of the Compact Equipment Division with state-of-the-art R&D and manufacturing facilities in Wisconsin, South Dakota and Texas.

Looks like Manitou is going to spend some money on the company. They've stayed behind the scene for sometime. They bought it in 2008 and not even touched really the marketing or branding of the products, completely unlike Doosan and Bobcat.

I'm betting in 18 months that one of the brand names disappears. My money is on Mustang disappearing. I also bet Manitou hangs that VTS unit on the Gehl product as their CTL product option.

That makes sense. It would also mean that Terex would be represented in the market by their own CTLs, the undercarriages that they sell to CAT and a Gehl/Mustang VTS.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
It makes no sense maintaining both the Mustang and Gehl lines. I had heard that Manitou was getting close to dropping Gehl but that appears not to be the case. I really doubt that they have the R&D to build a CTL from the ground up. I could be wrong its just a hunch, but using the VTS would give them a CTL with little effort.

JDSKIDSTEER
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
It makes no sense maintaining both the Mustang and Gehl lines. I had heard that Manitou was getting close to dropping Gehl but that appears not to be the case. I really doubt that they have the R&D to build a CTL from the ground up. I could be wrong its just a hunch, but using the VTS would give them a CTL with little effort.

Who knows....Case and New Holland are double branding.

Digdeep
04-04-2011, 01:19 PM

I can't remember which sales force it was, but either Gehl's rep group or Mustang's was elininated some time ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
04-04-2011, 07:36 PM

Yes but the two brands individually have around 12-15% market share. So it makes sense to keep both brands alive even if the machines are much the same. I am not sure that Gehl and Mustang have that luxury. Not sure what their marketshare is but I doubt you could justify keeping both machines separate, when the market is struggling to sell 30% of what they were in 05/06.

Digdeep
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Yes but the two brands individually have around 12-15% market share. So it makes sense to keep both brands alive even if the machines are much the same. I am not sure that Gehl and Mustang have that luxury. Not sure what their marketshare is but I doubt you could justify keeping both machines separate, when the market is struggling to sell 30% of what they were in 05/06.

Actually NH was around 12-14% and Case was around 7-9% last time I got info in 2010. I don't think it's changed much since the last time. I'll see if I can get final 2010 data.
Posted via Mobile Device

NEUSWEDE
05-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Wasn't sure if anyone else saw this but Gehl came out with a new Track Loader that looks like their own not a Takkie. A lot of cool things they put on it like self tensioning tracks and the whole operation station is suspension not just the seat. Just figured I would bring it up. Seems like Gehl is really brining out a lot of new products for their company even though they were down and out a few years back. They brought out the vertical lift skid end of last year.

Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjhwEXFuIEQ&feature=feedu

bobcat_ron
05-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Wasn't sure if anyone else saw this but Gehl came out with a new Track Loader that looks like their own not a Takkie. A lot of cool things they put on it like self tensioning tracks and the whole operation station is suspension not just the seat. Just figured I would bring it up. Seems like Gehl is really brining out a lot of new products for their company even though they were down and out a few years back. They brought out the vertical lift skid end of last year.

Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjhwEXFuIEQ&feature=feedu

It's a bit of an improvement, but they have the aux. hydraulic couplers on the outside of the loader.

J. Peterson Grading
05-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Kinda reminds me of the IHI loaders

J.

bobcat_ron
05-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Everyone is copying Caterpillar it seems with the air ride seat!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Digdeep
05-19-2011, 06:12 PM
The track tensioning kind of reminds me of another machine produced for a short while back in the late 90s- the LMC TrackMaster out of Logan Utah. They used hydraulic charge pressure to keep their tracks tight. Only problem was that the tracks would derail if the charge pressure was low. The company did not stay in business too long.

SellingIron
05-19-2011, 08:33 PM
The track tensioning kind of reminds me of another machine produced for a short while back in the late 90s- the LMC TrackMaster out of Logan Utah. They used hydraulic charge pressure to keep their tracks tight. Only problem was that the tracks would derail if the charge pressure was low. The company did not stay in business too long.

Dig, We sold them (LMC) back in 1998/99. We had over 10K in parts in a box that we never unloaded. The 864 came out and we sent it all back..

ksss
05-19-2011, 09:14 PM

Kinda sounds like the ultimate idiot light.:laugh:

bobcat_ron
05-19-2011, 10:56 PM

Looks like ASV knocked them off, or the other way around? Same control set up!

dozerman21
05-19-2011, 11:15 PM
Looks like ASV knocked them off, or the other way around? Same control set up!

Looks like they also knocked off Takeuchi, with the banged up top of the cab.:laugh:

ksss
05-20-2011, 02:17 PM
looks very much like an ASV right down to the little T rex loader arms. Undercarriage shares nothing in common.

Digdeep
05-20-2011, 03:57 PM
They definitely came on the market after the ASV. I think they copied much off of the old MD70s that ASV started building in the early 90s. They weren't around for very long at all.