PDA

View Full Version : parking at cutomer jobs

turfguy
09-23-2002, 10:00 PM
The other day I was at a regular customers house and I parked on the side of the street, put out my cones,turned on my strobe and proceeded to do my weekly cut,trim&blow routine. cop comes up and says that a unnamed caller reported my truck blocking the road. I told him that I was only there about an hour and would be on my way shortly. he further told me that if hey caught me here again I would be ticketed. where do most of you guys park in the driveway or on the street. my truck&trailer is so long its a real pain to back out of most driveways. what should I do?

rvsuper
09-23-2002, 10:11 PM
Are there any other customers near by on diff. street? Maybe you could park it on a different street if there is another customer near by but that would probably be a pain in the as* to haul your equipment around.

edward hedrick
09-23-2002, 10:11 PM
How about backing in ? Maybe a visit to the police to find out about parking on the street. If you are on the wrong side turn lites off. Ed

SCAPEASAURUSREX
09-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Were you blocking off someones driveway ?? That can be a problem sometimes. I usually try to block only my clients driveway and park in front of my clients house when possible.. If you have to block someone elses drive, just knock on the door , if they are home , ask if you can block their drive for a litle while while you work next door, and if they need to get out to just flag you down and you will move... no biggy.... Never heard of not being allowed to park on a street you are working on ??,, Is it a really narrow street ????

turfguy
09-23-2002, 10:18 PM
local police here [Newtown] tell me its at the officers discretion on
parking complaints. Even with cones and lights I thought I was more of a "service vehicle" than a parking complaint.

Darryl G
09-23-2002, 10:48 PM
Ditto on the backing in. I wouldn't think of backing out. Never heard of anyone being ticketed with cones out. I park on the street 99% of the time. I have one account that is on a narrow beach road and I back into a neighbors driveway (actually a friend of mine).

Dan1944
09-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Could it be that you were stuck in the middle of a neighbor versus neighbor dispute? One neighbor calls cops, cop gets dispatched and feels he has to put down something on the report.

Just a thought

Dan the lawn care man:confused:

Just Turned Pro
09-23-2002, 11:16 PM
Check with your local ordinances. It could be you were simply in violation of a statute. Up here you have to be XX inches from the curb, with traffic, not within XX feet of a public/ private driveway, intersection, roadside, fire plug, etc. If it is one of these, it could simply be a matter of moving a few feet in one direction or the other.

* Most * police don't pro-actively search for parking complaints in residential neighborhoods. But if someone calls, they will respond. Keep in mind also that whatever busy body that called probably called you in as a traffic hazard which increase the urgency in the call.

It sounds like you took precautions with the safety equipment which is probably why you were not ticketed if you were indeed in violation. If you are legal and safe, don't sweat it. If they call again, the police will recognize that it is simply a whining 911 reliant idiot with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

MikeLT1Z28
09-23-2002, 11:40 PM
sorry to hear about that. i've never heard of or had any trouble like that here. the only time i think they would say anything is if you were blocking a driveway, fire hydrant or in a no parking zone. it is still legal to park on a street isn't it?

RedOak
09-23-2002, 11:43 PM
Check with your local ordinances. It could be you were simply in violation of a statute. Up here you have to be XX inches from the curb, with traffic, not within XX feet of a public/ private driveway, intersection, roadside, fire plug, etc. If it is one of these, it could simply be a matter of moving a few feet in one direction or the other.

* Most * police don't pro-actively search for parking complaints in residential neighborhoods. But if someone calls, they will respond. Keep in mind also that whatever busy body that called probably called you in as a traffic hazard which increase the urgency in the call.

It sounds like you took precautions with the safety equipment which is probably why you were not ticketed if you were indeed in violation. If you are legal and safe, don't sweat it. If they call again, the police will recognize that it is simply a whining 911 reliant idiot with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

Same goes here. As a tax paying citizen you should have rights to park anywhere that is in compliance with parking laws. Is this a residential street or a high traffic road?

greenman
09-24-2002, 12:34 AM
Speaking of cones.....do cones even have to be put out? Like Mike said, isn't it still legal to park in the street, for crying out loud:nono: :rolleyes: :p

HarryD
09-24-2002, 01:43 AM
is there signs posted not to park on that side of the street

pilotcoplawnboy
09-24-2002, 08:55 AM
I'm a police officer and would never tell anyone to move their equipment unless the road was fully blocked. Are there signs around that say no parking? If not then I wouldn't worry about it. whenI work with my father we usually park on the side of the road but cars can get by. And if we park somewhere that might be inquestion I will just move it to the closest side street.

Westbrooklawn
09-24-2002, 10:08 AM
I had to chuckle when I read your post. Several years ago I had a nice account in a high end residential neighborhood, city street, curb and gutter. I always parked (legally) in the street, across from the house I was servicing. One day the older residents who lived in the house I parked in front of came out and proceeded to tell me that I was no longer to park in front of their house......they didn't like the looks of a truck, trailer, and equipment sitting in front of their house (about 40 minutes /week)! Mind you my equipment is new, clean, well kept, and as attractive as any I have ever seen. My first reaction was to tell them where to go, but I just sucked it up, said "yes mamm", and started coming into the heighborhood from a different direction so I could park on the same side of the street as my customer.

I later decided that the issue was a "neighborhood feud" issue between them and my customer, and really had nothing to do with me.

CT18fireman
09-24-2002, 04:12 PM
Turfguy

Where in Newtown? I work out of Brookfield and cut a few lawns there. I have never been bothered. I make sure that I have my strobes and lights on and put out cones. Unless you were on a curve or dangerous part of the road then I cannot see a problem.

Now if you were on someones property or blocking someone then it would be a problem.

Tvov
09-24-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by greenman
Speaking of cones.....do cones even have to be put out? Like Mike said, isn't it still legal to park in the street, for crying out loud:nono: :rolleyes: :p

I don't know if cones have to be put out, but one of my trailers is black, and when the black ramp is down, it is almost impossible for cars to see. So, we put out cones more to protect my ramp/equipment than for traffic safety.

We've never really had any trouble parking in the street. Sometimes a neighbor may come out asking us to move a little so we aren't blocking their driveway, or something like that. And, we've also run into the neighborhood feud thing.

turfguy
09-24-2002, 10:15 PM
This was on a side street not too busy but still plenty of traffic. I always thought of the cones and lights as more protection for me than anyone else. early this year I witnessed a near fatal accident when the lco went to start his walkbehind on the trailer
and the starter cord broke and he fell off the side and into traffic.
bounced off a passing car and broke his wrist. luckyS.O.B could have been much worse...

Navig8r
09-26-2002, 03:45 PM
I have (new) customer who lives on a busy road, and the first time I cut, I parked in his grand-daughter's drive, next-door.(customer is in his 70's-80's).
BTW, he had told me this was her house, and that's why he wanted me to cut all the way to her driveway, even though it was past where his property ended.
Anyway.... She wasn't home, so I knocked on his door and asked if this was OK..... he says yeah, as long as she could get around my rig..... No prob... plenty of room. BUT, he also says.. "Why didn't you just pull in here" and points to his driveway.(Not very large, with retaining walls on all sides. No way to back in or out due to traffic)
I decide I could turn around in the driveway (tight, but do-able), so when I show up to cut yesterday, I pull in and turn around..... and get to work...... one border lap, and here he comes, walking straight at the machine.....I shut it down and say hello, and what do ya figure he asks!!!!!!!??!!]
"Could you move your truck and trailer, maybe park it in the lot ACROSS the street? I own that lot, you can park there"
I told him NO, because I'd never get across traffic with my equip.... so I moved the rig to one side (his son was coming over)

I think I'll go back to Next-door:rolleyes:

gslam88
09-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Turfguy,

Newtown is a messed up town, there are more screwups up there and the cops have nothing to do, or the zoning enforcement officer either, almost as bad as Easton cops... and yes I have a couple of stories of both towns.... Good luck in town, what area of town was it? Probably some crabby neighbor fight that your in the middle of up there

Pete :blob3: :blob4: :blob1:

BRIMOW525
09-28-2002, 08:36 AM
We park out on the street for 99% of our jobs. I never even dreamed of putting out cones or turning on my strobes while I am cutting. Of course not on busy streets would I park. Sounds to me cop was being a d**k. I wouldn't even worry about it.