PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on a Trailer purchase

NC Moose
03-25-2011, 01:34 PM
First let me say a big thanks to everyone on this forum. I cannot tell you how much the advice has helped me over the last year since I started my side business. I need to purchase several more pieces of equipment and this time around I want to purchase the right trailer that can haul it all. So here is what I have, will have, etc.

52" Scag Wildcat
42" Hustler Sport - purchased for personal use before starting the business
36" Hustler Trimstar -still debating on this one. I need a 36" but I am not sure which to go with.
21" Lawn Solutions WB aerator - still considering price
21" JD Push Mower
Echo BP Blower
Echo Trimmer
Echo Hedge Trimmer
2008 Toyota Tacomma Prerunner (towing capacity 6500 lbs)

I think I want a 6.5' x 14' with 3 or 4' mesh sides, 24 x 24 landscape box, side gate, tandem axle, undecided on dovetail and if so I need 16' I think. Some of the equipment above can go in the truck bed as well but I prefer to keep it all locked and racked if possible.

My gate clearance is just under 100" and since I run the business from my home I have to park it in the back yard (HOA rules). The distance from driveway to back yard is only 50' but moving it by hand like I do now with my little 5x8 isn't going to be an option. I thought about purchasing the hitch for the Scag but I am not sure if that will exceed the weight limit towing the trailer from back yard to drive way. The ground is all flat but it is turf and I cannot back to truck into my yard all the time either.

So based on all that, any recommendations or other considerations I should think about? What kind of weight am I looking at with trailer loaded up, just ball parking. The trailers I am considering are listed below.

Big Tex 14' - listed around $2900 + $500 to deliver it.
Mike's Custom trailers here in NC - Heavy duty custom trailers but he is expensive at $2600 for 14' basic tandem axle, no high sides
Curahee is what I have now but again no high sides which I would prefer so I can use it for hauling as well.

Thanks again for your time.

southgalawns
03-25-2011, 01:59 PM
with the truck and all the equipment... alot of wear and tear on the v6. probally auto also.... everything else sounds ok, but i would recommend getting a beefier truck in the near future.

CLS LLC
03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Only you can really decide on what size trailer to get. My recommendation is to get the largest one you can (within reason.)

As far as a weight, if you carry all that lawn equipment (not including the aerator) you will be looking at about 4000-4500 lbs. Your truck will tow that, but unless you don't have any hills where you live, I think you'll quickly find out that you don't enjoy towing it with your truck. I hate to be the bear of bad news, but it's just the fact of the matter. A half ton truck would definitely be better suited for that amount of weight.

CLS LLC
03-25-2011, 06:46 PM
Also I would think long and hard about those high sides. Low sides definitely make a trailer MUCH easier to use. If you need the high sides for carrying mulch or something on a regular basis that's fine. But otherwise I personally would advise against them.

mow4cash
03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Big Tex makes a solid trailer...I was Looking at the 70pi 16ft and got quoted $2695 and thats in ny. Go bigger when possible. I skipped the 16ft and got a 20ft enclosed. If I had to buy another open trailer I would by a Big Tex there pipe frames are nice.

rmslawns
03-27-2011, 01:13 AM
I do not see many 3 or 4 ft side trailers around here. 2 ft mesh sides seem to be the highest I see. I bought a 5 x 8 from Kraftsman to start a few years ago and spent the winter shopping around for a 6.4 x 14 tandem. I ordered another Kraftsman. Looked at kaufman, holmes,carry on, and some others. Look up blackhawk, they are near charlotte I think. I think that Kraftsman, imo, makes the best trailer in NC. PM me if you need any contact info.

doubleedge
03-27-2011, 01:35 AM
I don't think you will be able to fit both zero turn mowers and a walk behind mower on a 14' trailer at once. An 18' trailer would probably fit all of them if you loaded the walk behind mower sideways, but you wouldn't be able to fit the landscape box on the trailer.

As for the sides, I too would recommend the shorter ones because of their ease of entry and exit.

knox gsl
03-27-2011, 02:08 AM
I wouldn't do anything over 2' on the sides. The only thing that you could haul on there piled higher than 2' and not be overweight is brush and leaves. Also get working brakes on that new trailer and help out your truck.

DoetschOutdoor
03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Since you really dont need to carry ALL those mowers at once, go with a 14' or 16' with a standard gate, no need to get a dovetail. Put your 52" in the back and your 36 up front and go to town!

Mow Man
03-27-2011, 10:55 PM
It sounds to me like you are well on your way. The ones that make it in this business at some point have realised that there is always something bigger and better you would like to get. You have to continuously ask your self "do I neeed it or do I want it?"

It sounds to me that the first thing you need is a bigger truck, and no it dosn't have to be an F250/2500..... a nice used 150 or 1500 can be had for 3-4 grand, after that it sounds like you could use a tandem axle trailer 14-16' will do. When you get past those two limitations I would strongly consider a small warehouse and in most cases they will allow you to park your trailer outside the roll up door. The nice thing about the ministorage or trade shops is that they are usually protected by cameras and security gates.

Remember, if you are not conservative in this business you WONT make it!

Good luck Brother!

Cajun Cleanin'
03-27-2011, 11:20 PM
I wouldn't pull all that with that truck.I would get a 6x12 or 6.5x12 and tow what I use.I would get the dovetail trailer also as the big gate hold alot alot of wind especially if you put a sign back there.I have a 6x12 trailer with the box on the front and the racks and it will hold two mowers easily.Remember the first mower will go under the box so you don't lose the space.