PDA

View Full Version : Mowing for Target Corporation Good or Bad?

Mid MOwer
03-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I received a call today, 3/25/2011, from a logistics company that said I was referred to them from my insurance agent. The logistics company is a middleman that works for Target Corporation, (the shopping "Target") that hires competent lawn maintenance companies to manage Target properties. I received all of the information from them today and they aren't taking bids, they are telling you what they will pay you ($390.78/mo) and they want every service under the sun and do an extensive background check to ensure you can handle everything that happens on the grounds from within your own company i.e. sprinkler, certified arborist, tree spade equip. water truck etc. I am a smaller business and don't think I will even be considered but figure what have I got to loose?

The only thing I don't like is that they they demand all of these services and are only going to pay you $97 a week. I would like to know if anyone has managed a Target in there area and how there relationship/experience was with them? I am thinking I would rather decline the offer and pickup two residential accounts to cover 97 a week.

Thanks

familylawncare
03-25-2011, 09:29 PM
Is the management company spelled USM? From what you say, how in the world can you supply all those services for less than $100 a week?

bel-nor
03-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Send them your bid for the work you may be the only one to respond. You have nothing to loose.

Smallaxe
03-25-2011, 10:13 PM
I received a call today, 3/25/2011, from a logistics company that said I was referred to them from my insurance agent. The logistics company is a middleman that works for Target Corporation, (the shopping "Target") that hires competent lawn maintenance companies to manage Target properties. I received all of the information from them today and they aren't taking bids, they are telling you what they will pay you ($390.78/mo) and they want every service under the sun and do an extensive background check to ensure you can handle everything that happens on the grounds from within your own company i.e. sprinkler, certified arborist, tree spade equip. water truck etc. I am a smaller business and don't think I will even be considered but figure what have I got to loose?

The only thing I don't like is that they they demand all of these services and are only going to pay you $97 a week. I would like to know if anyone has managed a Target in there area and how there relationship/experience was with them? I am thinking I would rather decline the offer and pickup two residential accounts to cover 97 a week.

Thanks

I have had the experience that the guys who currently work for (the company) Target like the ... custodian or 'gardener' what ever trying to get a job upsell in which this, "Employee" is able to leverage the management to make the establishment give him more money for a little more work...

This is always a losing proposition for 'outside' bidders... If the custodian had a clue and the management had a clue, you might waste your time on these clowns... JMO... :)

White Gardens
03-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Is the management company spelled USM? From what you say, how in the world can you supply all those services for less than $100 a week?

Ditto.

Out of all the majors handling box stores, that would be the one that I would steer clear of.

I will say that I do work for a certain National and I have had nothing but good things to say about them.

CUSTYOTA
03-26-2011, 08:54 AM
I've worked for Springwise, Divisions, Genesis... Bid on USM properties...

All they are concerned about is money. They all want you to do something for nothing. There is no concearn about quality. I've stoped doing work for most of the "management companies" there is no way you can make any money working for them. This is my oppion.

Dr.NewEarth
03-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Do we need prestige gigs like that?

Some potential clients, property managers, corporations want all of the bells and whistles and qualifications and a low ball bid too. They expect us to bow to their every whim and agree to their redicuous demands or breaches of contract without saying a word.

Yet do we ever really receive enough compensation for all of the headaches,
stress and loss of sleep (hair) that they can cause? Meanwhile, what are they making
and what sort of bonus do they get every year, because they got their landscape budget down again?

In the interest of getting more respect for our jobs, we should all have been plumbers.
Except We'd still be putting up with _ _ _ _

Sorry guys, tough week here dealing with heavy handed large property management company office politics and head games, and strata (hoa) council apathy.

I love my job and I love scoring a great contract.
It's the minority that can send us into
a whirl.

If Target sets the price, are you their employee or are you still considered an independent contractor?

Good luck this year.

lclawn
03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE=CUSTYOTA;3957113]I've worked for Springwise, Divisions, Genesis... Bid on USM properties...

All they are concerned about is money. They all want you to do something for nothing. There is no concearn about quality. I've stoped doing work for most of the "management companies" there is no way you can make any money working for them. This is my oppion.[/QUO

We have worked with USM past 2 years on a couple of properties.They are always slow to pay,have to take pictures of everything,and have to call in every service to recieve an IVR #. Also every time you call your account manager they never call back or someone else has taken over the account. They reciently called about parking lot sweeping for a local Walmart
they were willing to pay 28.00 per night. They pay well on the mowing services , but 28.00 to blow off sidewalks , clean loading docks, and sweep the parkinglot, how does someone do this. I normally get 70.00 for this type of service. I will have around 30.00 in fuel and employee per service alone. Stay away is my advice. And no I am not sweeping for them, but someone is.

CUSTYOTA
03-26-2011, 01:32 PM
I was mowing 2 walmarts herr in NC through corporate walmart. They hired usm to manage properties. I had to re-bid. The bids included all kinds of extra stuff we wern't doing. I submited a bid and did win wither property. I shop at these local walmarts and none of the stuff that was in the bid packages are being done! Just the mowing.

I'm working with the local managers to get the stores back. Good luck to every one out there. :usflag:

Travel'n Trees
03-26-2011, 03:33 PM
Horrible company to work for! Unreasonable expectations. No contact people. They say they will return calls only if they feel necessary. I delt with them 12 years ago sending them food. Terrible pay! we worked on their properties thru Agmg (Affiliated grounds Maintanance group inc) the owner's husband Rich only looks out for himself and has no spine to stand up against Target. Because he can loose more money from upsetting other targets. So your money is expendable as long as he gets his. And a 20 year store manager that has been caught lying on pictures can put a halt to your pay. Watch both of these companies. Call me if you need mote exact details. As far as I am considered we will not do another job for either company. Affiliated is the worst.
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUT1
03-26-2011, 04:43 PM
$97 a week is nothing to sneeze at.

You do mean you just have to do the island that the sign sits on right?

cooltype
03-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Most likely you are talking about cherry logistics. I looked at the one in my town and I think my bid to do the work would be twice what they are wanting to pay. Your not going to make any money doing one of these stores in my opinion. Power is in the numbers and you would have to be servicing multiple locations to profit anything from this type of arrangement. I got a good laugh out of the pricing exhibit they sent me.

Travel'n Trees
03-26-2011, 05:56 PM
$97 a week is nothing to sneeze at.

You do mean you just have to do the island that the sign sits on right?

$97 might be good but don't be greedy I do 6 targets 1 store I have no payments at all the last season so what do call good pay. And amgm does nothing!
Posted via Mobile Device

PROCUT1
03-26-2011, 05:59 PM
Not sure if you "got" my post.

$97 a week would be enough for me to weedwhack around the sign. And thats about it

SimonCX
03-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Some of these bigger nationals want everything they can think of but want it cheap. I recently went to bid a well known national and after reading there contract, terms and payment I said no thank you and didn't even bid wasn't even worth my time looking at it. Every year they think of something new, this year was the first time I've seen a contract that said they were able to do a financial audit on my company, WTF?

SimonCX
03-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Not sure if you "got" my post.

$97 a week would be enough for me to weedwhack around the sign. And thats about it

Some that would be ok but I have one close by that has quite a bit of turf, no way I would even consider it for that price.

ghunter502
03-27-2011, 01:47 PM
I dont' care what anyone says we do alot of work for target and we make alot of money for working for target. We have worked for them for 8 years through a maintenance company. You just need to make sure the pricing is right on your end and then if you can make money at that price take the contract if you can't make any money on the contract then dont take it. Good luck

PROCUT1
03-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Good point.

There are companies that have figured out how to profit from the low end cheap work.

Its not for everyone. But some people can make it work

Mid MOwer
03-27-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say. I will send an email and decline their offer on Monday.

Travel'n Trees
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
Good idea! It is rainy day today so I have to drive across town for a mechanics Lien for the one deadbeat Target in Olathe Kansas who has made no payments this year!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Travel'n Trees
04-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Take a look at this guy he is the one we worked for. http://m.topix.com/forum/city/erie-pa/T2JV2GR9QVK02LUEH
Posted via Mobile Device

KJWIJNEN
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I would never work for some these national change companies, for the prices are just being driven down and the pay is getting slower.

bob
04-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm not trying to hijack yor thread, but I had a management company ( forget the name) call last year about a local 7-11. The wanted beds edged, mulched ( about 12 yards) shrubs trimmed, and 2 apps of fert. Their total budget was $400. I told them that my material alone would be over $400. I gave them my bid and never heard from them. Someone did the work.

Travel'n Trees
04-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I would never work for some these national change companies, for the prices are just being driven down and the pay is getting slower.

Agreed!
Posted via Mobile Device

RSK Property Maintenance
04-12-2011, 12:14 PM
sounds like they were looking for brickman to go in their to "maintain" there property. I gave what I thought was an aggressive bid on 3 properties my friends dad owns, and I was all set and good to go, and then brickman gave a bid a that was 1/4 of my bid, I don't see how they can be making money. my bid was around 2500 for all 3 properties, mowing, blowing, and trimimming everything as needed. and two of them have larger lawns, and an hr of trimming walking at 3-4mph. they bid around 625 a month for all the properties.....

TexasFire221
05-17-2011, 11:39 AM
I just had Springwise contact me for maintenance on their HEB properties at 5 locations. I talked with the guy over the phone and told him that I bid these properties two years ago. Well he looked in his system and found my bids and forwarded them to me to look over. Well I had to adjust them quite a bit and sent him the numbers back on 1 of the properties. He wants me to service ASAP but I am just not sure about it. I know the store manager and he said he was happy with the current company and didnt want to change so why is Springwise wanting to change? Springwise told me that they were unhappy with the job they were doing. Im just really confused and not too sure about it all.

nightshutter
05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Sounds like the big "box" stores are nothing but a PITA! $90 a week for a big target? thats crazy I get almost that for a small office/house. Not bragging or anything.

Groomer
05-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Yikes! I'm sticking with all my painful resi's, (who mail me a check every month.)

Mark Oomkes
05-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Send them your bid for the work you may be the only one to respond. You have nothing to loose.

You sure? How about money or your business?

PS It's "lose" not "loose". Look it up.

PPS Yes, I know this from a couple months ago.

I've worked for Springwise, Divisions, Genesis... Bid on USM properties...

All they are concerned about is money. They all want you to do something for nothing. There is no concearn about quality. I've stoped doing work for most of the "management companies" there is no way you can make any money working for them. This is my oppion.[/QUO

We have worked with USM past 2 years on a couple of properties.They are always slow to pay,have to take pictures of everything,and have to call in every service to recieve an IVR #. Also every time you call your account manager they never call back or someone else has taken over the account. They reciently called about parking lot sweeping for a local Walmart
they were willing to pay 28.00 per night. They pay well on the mowing services , but 28.00 to blow off sidewalks , clean loading docks, and sweep the parkinglot, how does someone do this. I normally get 70.00 for this type of service. I will have around 30.00 in fuel and employee per service alone. Stay away is my advice. And no I am not sweeping for them, but someone is.

Interesting, as I believe USM lost all their sweeping and plowing work through WallyWorld as of the end of March. Not sure about landscraping, but I wouldn't think WW would keep them around for that after giving them the boot for the other work.

wiselandscaping
05-17-2011, 09:22 PM
I shake my hear when I see/hear about people working for property management companies. They devalue our industry, and by working for them you're only helping.

A Leaf Above
05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
More than likely they may be just getting competitive bids just because they have too ...usually someone is getting their pocket packed in most of these situations hense the reason why the work is being done still by a company that is more than likely already chosen ....Happens all the time ...Its the way the world turns in these companies ....

Penncare
05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Think of it this way, if you went by Mr. C. Rappy Lawn's house and he said, I want to look your books over and see how efficient you are, how would you respond? I think I would say "it was nice knowing you, good day." Why are so many so willing to bend over with a smile for a big company, but don't for the average joe? Because they are narcissistic and they are proud to tell everyone they provide the lawn care for Wal-Mart, Target, etc. even though it is more like being in prison than having a job that pays. If, however, you can turn that into a selling point for gaining other customers, you might be able to justify it, that is until you get the other decent customers and then you give them a courtesy notice that you decline to renew the contract unless they are willing to pay a reasonable fee for the service you provide.

ryanh11
05-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Think of it this way, if you went by Mr. C. Rappy Lawn's house and he said, I want to look your books over and see how efficient you are, how would you respond? I think I would say "it was nice knowing you, good day." Why are so many so willing to bend over with a smile for a big company, but don't for the average joe? Because they are narcissistic and they are proud to tell everyone they provide the lawn care for Wal-Mart, Target, etc. even though it is more like being in prison than having a job that pays. If, however, you can turn that into a selling point for gaining other customers, you might be able to justify it, that is until you get the other decent customers and then you give them a courtesy notice that you decline to renew the contract unless they are willing to pay a reasonable fee for the service you provide.

well put.....very true.....

kevinboucher
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Target is a good company to work for direct. They pay their bills on time and demand excellence in their properties. The only issue is that the rates offered for sites is extremely low. This is not targets fault, it is the fault of the people bidding on the work. They have driven the price down so low it remains hard to find profit at these rates. I have a ten year history working for them and I work direct with Target no middleman. I am scared that I will lose business this year because the rates just keep getting lower. I manage 30 sites and cannot do this work to lose money. I would hope that a store like Target that wants a nice property would just simply pay a fair price to a good contractor to do the work. It seems like this way of business is hard to find any more. After 21 years this business is much different then what it was when I started. I am now focused more on residential customers. If you do a good job you can make more money and keep your job longer then working for all these fortune 500 companies.

Mike Fronczak
03-04-2012, 11:49 AM
We did a target for a national a couple years ago it wasn't bad they were picky though. I looked at it this year, the bid was crazy, wanted our pricing on materials (or no more than a 10% mark up). I have an issue with those type of things, I buy my mulch in semi loads at wholesale pricing, to make extra money, I have the space & equipment to store & load, I have an issue with doing all that for 10%, especially when the garden center is getting better than 40% and still selling at "contractor pricing".
Posted via Mobile Device