PDA

View Full Version : employee pay

meets1
03-26-2011, 10:45 AM
I am in need of another fulltimer. I have one guy thathas worked off-on for 5 years. Recently he was offered a sales job - don't no what. He calls wants to talk about fulltime status as I offered him 2-3 weeks ago.

I have called around to other peers and I have an idea of what they pay but where do i go.

I would have him in charge of our mowing, have him get spray lic and head up a division in our snow removal business.

Now do I pay him hourly, ot after 40?

OR pay him salary from say march - till nov, then go hourly.

OR just say here is $X salary, x amount for simple retirement plan, health is on your own. One week paid vac for now go from there.

Now were usually pretty business. Winter gets slow, some odd/ends, ton of equipment to go thru, snow, salt/sand, etc.

I just want some of your guys opnions on what you do. What you think I should do etc.

I have a feeling this guy will want hourly due to high volume of hours but then i would add extra part time help to reduce ot pay and have things done on time.

Dr.NewEarth
03-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Not knowing what your labour laws are, I would try to do it by the book.

Can you access your states labour laws on line to get a better idea of what to do?

An 8 hour day, 40 hour week is all that is allowed here before over-time.

I would like to keep long term employees on 12 months, because we have put so much time into their training and they have an understanding of the company culture.
It can take over a year for a new guy to be trained properly.

I also like to see them bring some-thing to the table. We want certifications and
upgrading. Even a first-aid ticket or a pesticide license is a good start.

Lately there haven't been alot of 12 month contracts available to us for landscape
maintenance. The majority are 9 months long. If I have to use that nine months of
money and pay a person over the slow period, it would kill me financially right now.
I can offer full-time employment with benefits for nine months and then they can go on
unemployment for three months.

While they are off, around here there are alot of post secondary courses available for upgrading in the winter. There are also on-line courses. For incentive,
If they pass the course with say, an eighty percent grade we pay the cost of the course. The employee gets a better understanding of another aspect of the business
which helps your business and clients. and even company commitment and moral.

During the slow time as I get extra jobs trickling in, the employee is called in one or two days a week. They are allowed to make some money above their monthly "dole"
That way it still keeps you in touch with each other.

Tyler7692
03-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Better to pay one person time and a half than pay two (by the time you include SS, workers comp, blah blah blah)

bohiaa
03-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Better to pay one person time and a half than pay two (by the time you include SS, workers comp, blah blah blah)

This is NOT TRUE, however to answer your Question.

you will have to figure this out for your self,
we nor I have access to your balance sheet.

We are a higher end comany. our crew leaders make 18.00 Plus per hour.

as you know, you cant bid a job out at 200.00 and it cost you 300.00 to do it.

your balance sheet should cover this.
I hope you guys are doing a balance sheet monthly