PDA

View Full Version : Should I stay or go?

pilotcoplawnboy
09-24-2002, 08:49 AM
This is for the ones who have been landscaping for a while. I am currently a police officer and making a little over 40k a year. I have good insurance and all the usual benefits. I work 6am-2pm but rotate my days off every month. My father and I have been mowing yards for 20 years in the same area and have good established customers. My father is getting older and he wants to call it quits within a year or two. He is already retired from Davey Tree service with 25 years of service. My thing is that I don't want to get rid of his yards and customers. They are great people and live in the richest part of the city. We have 18 yards in that part of the city and about 14 more throughout the city. What would any of you suggest as far as me taking his business over? Should I hire some people to take care of the yards and run it from the side. I only have 15 more years of service with the police department and cant really afford to give up the insurance and other benefits. Plus my first child is on the way. I guess I could take care of the yards after I get off of work, but if it rained I would be behind. Another delima is that I fly once a week. Just any thoughts and ideas would be great. I have always told my father to hire some good people and let them do the work and go from there. (He doesn't like to share his money, even with me) He only pays me 15 dollars an hour!!! El-Cheepo! Thanks guys.

65hoss
09-24-2002, 09:01 AM
Hiring someone to handle it while your on the sidelines will be hard. Nobody will care about it as much as you and your dad. Maybe you could hire a couple of guys, get some real productive equipment and run the crew yourself. Maybe do all them in the same amount of time as before.
Nice car, here is a pic of mine. Although, mine is undergoing a few changes right now.

http://www.lawngodfather.com/65Stang.jpg

geogunn
09-24-2002, 09:16 AM
PCLB--you gotta keep the biz.

you can make it whatever size you want after he's gone fishing for good.

quit worrying about the rain. it's gonna rain on us all from time to time.

and for my market no rain is much worse.

and I hope you're kidding about him paying you 15 bucks an hour.... aint no way I'd ever pay a grass cutter that!:D

GEO

Runner
09-24-2002, 09:27 AM
I guess you just have to ask yourself, do you really enjoy the work that much? For many people, it's yes, especially someone in your line, because it's completely different as far as the stress factor is. Many people in your line, especially those with children still work other sidelines, (like doing a detail somewhere) to help out, but is that what you'd like to be doing? Would you rather be out enjoying fresh air and the smell of fresh cut grass, or sitting in a Denny's restaurant or somewhere of thelike doing an off-duty detail. Personally, I'd like the fresh air bit, especially considering there is less strict liability involved. Good luck with whatever you decide.;)

pilotcoplawnboy
09-24-2002, 09:29 AM
And what would you pay a grass cutter? I have been with him for 20 years.

Brickman
09-24-2002, 10:57 AM
My .02 worth is this. IF you really want to stay in the biz, take only the gravey of the best gravey accounts and work them. Once you retire from the force you will have plenty of time and opportunity to grow larger.

Any PITA customer, slow payers, PITA yards gotta go. Find one or two other cops that are looking for part time work and do the best you kind. In your case a PITA will become a huge deal in short order, as you won't have much time to work around their demands.

pilotcoplawnboy
09-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Thanks to everyone.