PDA

View Full Version : Overseed

Tim Wilson
03-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a guy coming to power rake (which I have no experience with) the moss which is in my lawn. I was going to just cover with compost and overseed but he said no way the roots would NOT make it through the moss. He is planning to remove the moss. Opinions?

starry night
03-26-2011, 04:44 PM
The question is what conditions caused the moss to grow in your yard. If the conditions aren't changed the moss is just going to grow back.

Tim Wilson
03-26-2011, 05:57 PM
The question is what conditions caused the moss to grow in your yard. If the conditions aren't changed the moss is just going to grow back.

That is not the question. I don't care if the moss grows back. I did not say I was trying to have a 'nice' grass only lawn. I am just trying to ascertain if anyone has an opinion on if the grass seed roots will make it through the moss or if it needs removing. The main reason for applying the compost is nutrient and filling in dips and holes. The area of the yard where we put down turf on 2 to 3" compost, mixed with soft rock phosphate on bare compacted soil turned out beauty as did a similar area seeded.

All I care about is keeping the soil/compost in place with grass which roots into the soil. In the long run I don't mind a moss/grass mix without the present holes.

starry night
03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
:laugh: Sorry, I didn't get it. You'll have to wait for others' answers.

Another:laugh: I can't help it, but the tone of your reply reminded me of a phone call I once received from an older lady. She wanted me to roll her lawn. When I told her about the harm that rolling does, she said "I don't care if it ruins my lawn, I just don't want bumps."

Smallaxe
03-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Lots of differents concentrations and thicknesses of moss... If the guy is looking at it and thinks it would not work, he probably has his reasons... 2-3 inchs of compost over the top of concrete will grow grass...

Kiril
03-27-2011, 10:07 AM
That is not the question. I don't care if the moss grows back. I did not say I was trying to have a 'nice' grass only lawn. I am just trying to ascertain if anyone has an opinion on if the grass seed roots will make it through the moss or if it needs removing. The main reason for applying the compost is nutrient and filling in dips and holes. The area of the yard where we put down turf on 2 to 3" compost, mixed with soft rock phosphate on bare compacted soil turned out beauty as did a similar area seeded.

All I care about is keeping the soil/compost in place with grass which roots into the soil. In the long run I don't mind a moss/grass mix without the present holes.

I believe this speaks more to the success of the seeding rather than whether or not the seed can successfully root through the moss. IMO, you will likely achieve a higher success rate establishing the new grass by removing the moss than leaving it in place.