PDA

View Full Version : Tire Changer - small wheels

Westbrooklawn
09-24-2002, 01:19 PM
Does anyone have a recomendation on an inexpensive tire changer for small wheels? Northern Hydraulic sells one for around $40, but I wonder how good it would work.

I'm tired of trying to break beads and then change tires with screwdrivers and tire irons!!

rkbrown
09-24-2002, 01:23 PM
I think I saw one in the last Harhor Freight catalog. Not sure how much it was, though.

Alan Bechard
09-24-2002, 04:20 PM
I have the one from Harbor Freight, works really well for me. It sure saves a ton of aggravation on the Gravely wheels where the hub sticks out so far and I would chase the dang thing all over the shop trying to lever it apart.

Money well spent in my book.

I mount mine to the bench with a C-clamp when I need to use it and it works fine, then shove it in a cubby hole for most of the time.

Al B

kerr lawn
09-24-2002, 07:58 PM
i hate dealing with changing tires so i just buy and extra rim and tire and have it ready to go when needed. I have a box on my trailer where they fit nicely. Have 3/4" socket and jack ready to go to change them out reall quick. It works for us.
thanks
bryan

CMerLand
09-24-2002, 08:31 PM
Get one you wont be sorry. Those tire changes that used to be dreaded are now a piece of cake. Heck I even replaced tires because they were "almost" worn out because it made it sooo much easier. Definately worth the money.

The tire changer is intended to be a shop tool not something you use out in the field. We have spare mower and trailer tires mounted to our trailer for in the field replacement.

Just wondering bryan, after you get a flat in your tire and mount the spare, how do you repair the inital tire???

Dan1944
09-24-2002, 08:47 PM
Are you sure it isn't Northern Tools that sells the tire changer for 40 bucks ?
I have that one and it is well worth the money.

Dan the lawn care man:confused:

HBFOXJr
09-24-2002, 09:20 PM
I bought one from Gemplers years ago that was a regular size manual changer with adapter on top for the small stuff. Bolts to concrete floor. Don't remember the name but looks like ones I've seen other places. They are worth the money.

Westbrooklawn
09-24-2002, 09:37 PM
Dan - You are correct........it is Northern Tools that has the changer for $40. When they started business 20 or so years ago they were known as Northern Hydraulics.......showing my age!!

I am glad to hear you think it is worth the money. I will be ordering one tomorrow. Thanks to all for the input.

captdevo
09-24-2002, 11:01 PM
It's on clearance now for $29.99

Click here to see!! (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=509049&storeId=6970&catalogId=4006970&langId=-1&PHOTOS=on)

i'll have to add one to my tools!!

Thanks

kerr lawn
09-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Cmerland-i change/get the flat tire replaced as quickly as i can either by taking a spare to the shop and having them do the change or ordering one from J-thomas.com and still getting the mower shope to mount it. So then no matter what i always got 3 of them. 2 on the mower and 1 spare. Down time=no money.
bryan

HarryD
09-25-2002, 01:37 AM
thxs for the heads up captdevo :) ill order me one tomorrow

HBFOXJr
09-25-2002, 08:05 AM
Gemplers (http://www.gemplers.com/a/shop/list.asp)

Westbrooklawn
09-25-2002, 11:50 AM
Captdevo -

Thanks for posting the info. for Northern tools. I had already discovered it last night and have one on order. Hope it works!