PDA

View Full Version : 2005 diesel f450

STLlawnboy
03-27-2011, 03:32 PM
I found a 2005 diesel f450 with 20 k miles with stake bed. Anything I should be worried about buying with this few of miles. I am thinking it has been sitting a while its from another lawn business that went belly up.

SimonCX
03-27-2011, 04:32 PM
The main thing on the 05's are egr, oil cooler, head gaskets and turbo even with low miles. Ususally the egr goes taking out the oil cooler and head gaskets if it overheats too far. Turbos vanes stick if they sit for long time from rust but can be taken apart and cleaned. If you know how to work on engines I wouldn't be affraid of them, there are a couple upgrades that solve alot of the problems but if you don't know how be prepared for some very big bills if it has to go to ford. Check the coolant overflow bottle if you see any oil then be prepare to spend 1500-2000 to fix it if you do it yourself, first sign the egr cooler & oil cooler is going.

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Motors are weak bearings in front end and rear end, injectors, cp3 pumps. Gas mileage. Actual load hauling capacity, not fords overating. Can position sensor. Cracking fuel rails. Bent frames. Transmissions, front rear end seal. Air filter box. That is all can remember that. Ecm
's also Are common problems. Gas motors add heads. And plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Travel'n Trees
03-27-2011, 04:34 PM
Oops I forgot another biggie wiring harness wires too short and pull out of plugs or get pinched under valve covers from factory.
Posted via Mobile Device

ATouchofGrass
04-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Motors are weak bearings in front end and rear end, injectors, cp3 pumps. Gas mileage. Actual load hauling capacity, not fords overating. Can position sensor. Cracking fuel rails. Bent frames. Transmissions, front rear end seal. Air filter box. That is all can remember that. Ecm
's also Are common problems. Gas motors add heads. And plugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

:sleeping:

- Fords have the toughest front ends out there
-Injectors only suffer due to improper maintenance. Run 5w40 full synthetic rev x oil additive, oil bypass filtration and change the oil every 5k miles at the most. Also changing your fuel fitlers every other oil change.
- 6.0's dont have CP3 pumps they use high pressure oil HEUI injectors
- I get 15mpg towing my 7k trailer
- the 5r110 behind the 6.0 is the best transmission on a medium duty diesel out of the big 3, and yes the allison in stock form sucks.

pm me if you need any help or have questions with a 6.0 I can help you out

ProTouch Groundscapes
04-03-2011, 08:31 PM
6.0s are vastly misjudged. The egr causes most of the problems, get rid of that and you solve many ailments. Travelntrees, I dunno where u got your info from but its clear your a bit biased here
Posted via Mobile Device

Travel'n Trees
04-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Been there done this multiple dealers
Posted via Mobile Device

bobcat_ron
04-04-2011, 11:16 AM
My '05 has been trouble free before and after I yanked out the EGR, even better fuel economy than stock after the EGR mod, just use a higher cetane level in the fuel conditioner.
No issues with my 5 speed automatic, just a few popped oil seals on the rear axle due to overloading. I currently have just under 70,000 kms on the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device