PDA

View Full Version : Baby oak trees in St. Aug all over the place

williams lcm
03-27-2011, 04:00 PM
How do i get rid of little baby oak trees growing in my grass? I know you can mow over them but are back a few days later. Probably a few hundred under my trees. thanks

Florida Gardener
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Oaks will do that as a stress response usually from an oak that has been overpruned. Not sure how you can selectively remove them without damaging the turf.....
Posted via Mobile Device

abrightday
03-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Mowing them or weed eating them, or pruning with a hand snips, is all you can do, weed control could kill your oak tree. I saw 5 very large oaks in Ft. Lauderdale die due to atrazine, then round-up applied to oak sprouts, they come right off the root and pull it all in,,
www.YourLandscapePro.com

zturncutter
03-27-2011, 08:58 PM
This time of year it can be all those acorns sprouting, especially if it is out away from the tree and not root suckers. If its from the acorns after the grass thickens up and you continue to mow in the season you will kill most of them.

williams lcm
03-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks, it is from the acorns. I pulled some out and sure enough a little acorn is attached to the stem coming out of the ground. The rest of the lawn is beautiful except for the area with the buried acorns.

JB1
03-27-2011, 09:45 PM
pull them, pot them and sell them.

punt66
03-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Just mow them over, they will go away.

zturncutter
03-27-2011, 09:59 PM

Several years ago, when we still had a construction industry in this state and a booming landscape market that is what I did with a couple hundred of them from the Live Oaks.

Ric
03-28-2011, 09:56 AM

Several years ago, when we still had a construction industry in this state and a booming landscape market that is what I did with a couple hundred of them from the Live Oaks.

One time I had a 5 gallon Bucket full of Live Oak acorns. I also had a small Mist House that was sealed like a fog house for Cloning and Germinating seeds. There is a whole section of the Nursery Business that does nothing but supply starter plants called "Linners". Linner production in done in mist or Fog Houses and there are many Mom & Pop linner suppliers. They can do it on smaller property than a growing Nursery.

If there was a Market for it, This is the time of the year to purchase Linners and step them up. By Snowbird comeback day they should be reasonable looking 3 gallon material. Once again there is a whole Cottage industry that does that as Full or Part Time job. The smaller growers will normally stay with one or two varieties while the big boys grow everything. Of course there are Plant brokers who act as middle men buying and selling wholesale plants

BTW I don't feel free to tell who. A Member here is growing annuals and selling them to Disney World among other places. Annual sell cheap but the Quick grow time and high volume make it very profitable. The big annual grower here in Florida is Lovell Farms in Homestead. They supply all the Big Box stores.

JB1
03-28-2011, 09:59 AM
One time I had a 5 gallon Bucket full of Live Oak acorns. I also had a small Mist House that was sealed like a fog house for Cloning and Germinating seeds. There is a whole section of the Nursery Business that does nothing but supply starter plants called "Linners". Linner production in done in mist or Fog Houses and there are many Mom & Pop linner suppliers. They can do it on smaller property than a growing Nursery.

If there was a Market for it, This is the time of the year to purchase Linners and step them up. By Snowbird comeback day they should be reasonable looking 3 gallon material. Once again there is a whole Cottage industry that does that as Full or Part Time job. The smaller growers will normally stay with one or two varieties while the big boys grow everything. Of course there are Plant brokers who act as middle men buying and selling wholesale plants

BTW I don't feel free to tell who. A Member here is growing annuals and selling them to Disney World among other places. Annual sell cheap but the Quick grow time and high volume make it very profitable. The big annual grower here in Florida is Lovell Farms in Homestead. They supply all the Big Box stores.

the state of indiana has a couple of nurseries where they grow them and sell them for conservation purposes.

zturncutter
03-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Here's a company that started in my old home town. http://www.linersource.com/home.asp

South Florida Lawns
04-03-2011, 12:00 AM
I take cuttings from schefflera, viburnum, and raphiolepis indica, plant them in trays put them in shade and they start growing. I have been doing this forever with common plants and using them in my landscapes. It takes a while for them to establish but i have found good compost fertilizer and water speeds things up. Its been a side project of mine that I'm still learning about but its fun.

zturncutter
04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Adding an inexpensive timer and a few mist heads to the mix and you can speed things up and grow almost anything this way. If you only want one or two of a specific plant, air layering works well with many tropicals.

South Florida Lawns
04-05-2011, 01:08 AM
Adding an inexpensive timer and a few mist heads to the mix and you can speed things up and grow almost anything this way. If you only want one or two of a specific plant, air layering works well with many tropicals.

After reading my last post I came to realize I have way too much damn time on the weekends. I need to start drinking and partying again.