PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda/Fescue

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-24-2002, 08:44 PM
which is more dominante? Im over seeding with fescue but there is alot of bermuda grass in the lawn.Will the fescue take over or will the bemuda stay the same?........Thanks

AielLandscaping
09-24-2002, 08:50 PM
from what i've witnessed bermuda will continue to spread even if you have a really thick fescue turf.

65hoss
09-24-2002, 09:17 PM
During the warm season the bermuda is by far dominant.

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape
09-24-2002, 09:35 PM
So me overseeding with fescue is a no win situation unless i kill out the bermuda???....THANKS:dizzy:

greenman
09-24-2002, 10:06 PM
Just as Hoss has advised me before on this, why not overseed with annual rye for the winter?

Green Pastures
09-24-2002, 10:52 PM
I'm in south eastern Virginia where Bermuda has a slightly shorter growing season that where you are. Not much, but shorter here. Anyway, I've tried to go that route and Bermuda always wins. Kill the Bermuda first. Lesco sells Fuselade and I've had great success with it on Bermuda. If you're VERY careful with it you can kill Bermuda out of Fescue without killing the Fescue.

I'd kill everything and then re-seed.

Scott

walker-talker
09-24-2002, 11:10 PM
I have NEVER seen fescue dominate bermuda. Kill the bermuda or do the rye thing. I have never had a call from someone for overseeding who had bermuda.

MATT

LawnPro in NC
09-25-2002, 12:05 AM
Bermuda or Wire grass and there is a difference. Bermuda you keep, Wire grass you fight. In NC your probally speaking of Wiregrass. or common bermuda. 2 years worth of monthly acclaim.

awm
09-25-2002, 06:48 PM
glad u brought that up. ive come to the conclusion that the voluntary bermuda is pretty, very tough and i think cuts better.
may be a dn side to it but i really dont know what it would be.any ideas welcome.
edit . i dont think it lends itself to striping like fescue.

sparechange
09-27-2002, 11:09 PM
The bermuda will definately be dominant in the warm months. I just sprayed my own lawn with Fusilade 2 this afternoon. I hope this will kill off the bermuda, but as I understand it, it must be sprayed monthly to eliminate the bermuda. Even then, you must continue the treatments for several years.