PDA

View Full Version : 48" W/B SCAG/eXmark any suggestions?

MowinSoIN
09-24-2002, 09:32 PM
48" W/B SCAG/eXmark any suggestions? and what would a good price be for a 2002? hydro vs belt drive? thanks.

lawnkid
09-24-2002, 09:58 PM
I personally would go for the Scag. The hydros are much better because they more productive than belt drive units. I currently own a 1996 Scag 52" SWZ w/ a Kaw. 14hp. and this mower is my best friend. I mean most guys on this site will recommend Exmark, but I don't see much of a difference. My engine is a bit weak, but i want to either replace the engine or replace the whole mower for a newer one. I think you should go for the 52" though because the 4" overlap really does make a difference say when you're turning around obstacles. I will always be a Scagman and i'm still trying to support the compnay for their excellent line of mowers. Definitley a 52" hydro though I would recommend. The best thing to do is do a search, on the search button, and DEMO! This will help you make your decision.
Good Luck! Hope this helps

lawnkid
09-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Oh I forgot to add a price:

Scag hydro 48-52" would go for about $4600-$5000.

Exmark hydro 48-52" would go for about $4600-$5900, depends on which model.

Whatever you do, always get excellent dealer support too!

Belt drives are usuallu like $100 less but the hydro is definitely the mower you want.

mdb landscaping
09-24-2002, 10:16 PM
i think hydro is a definate. i have a belt drive scag walkbehind and will never buy belt drive again. I have used a buddies scag hydro and put quite a few hours on it, and i wasnt very impressed by the deck or the cut. There are a ton of exmarks out there, and i havent heard anybody talk badly about them. id say go with an exmark hydro walkbehind.

odin
09-24-2002, 10:17 PM
I love scag hydro walkbehinds they cut great stripe great and are built like a tank.

We have the scag floating deck hydro's

FrankenScagMachines
09-24-2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by lawnkid
Belt drives are usuallu like $100 less but the hydro is definitely the mower you want.

I think you must mean $1,000, not $100...:confused: Otherwise they wouldn't even make belt drives :dizzy:

FrankenScagMachines
09-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Oh and as for brands, it might depend more on what type of grass you're cutting and how high. DEMO DAY!!!!! See if you can demo one for a whole day, they usually let you. Even if you don't like it, you had a mower for a whole day with no overhead, and no wear on yours!

Scag48
09-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Hydro is definately the way to go. No slippage, faster reverse (no assist), and more maintenance friendly. Personally I recommend Exmark, but it comes down to dealer support.

Flex-Deck
09-24-2002, 11:54 PM
bushhogboy -It makes no difference as to how high you cut or what type of grass you have - there are a lot of good mowers out there and they all do the job - You just have to invest the money it takes to get what you need for the job

Find a dealer that will take care of you and go for it - you take care of your customers - let your dealer take care of you, and everyone makes a little money, and everyone is happsie.

Thanks, Brad - seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -------------------------------------------------- no pic -------------are you happsie

Flex-Deck
09-25-2002, 12:01 AM
bushhogboy - how can you recommend demoing a unit for a whole day without really thinking about buying "you said - At least you got to use a mower for the day" - that is just another attitude that "lets use the dealers - lets abuse the dealer then to hell with them"

Most on this site seems to think they should get top dollar for their services, but they all seem to think they should be able to buy their mowers at discounted prices "Break the dealer - where the heck do they think service comes from, and who do they go to when the dealer goes broke because of the jewing prices the LCO's demanded

Flex-Deck
09-25-2002, 12:05 AM
bushhogboy - besides that - from what I see you running - one day may be all they do. I also have equipment like that - BUT - I am not going to take advantage of dealers - I want them to be my partner in my operation - not someone to be used.

Thanks, Brad

Scag48
09-25-2002, 12:10 AM
Geez Brad, you don't have to rag on BushHogBoy. He didn't say "Oh, let's just screw the dealers", if you read correctly, he said that you can demo a mower to see if you like it and if you don't, nothing lost, didn't cost you anything. Most dealers are happy to give out mowers for the day anyway.

TLS
09-25-2002, 01:12 AM
I've NEVER been able (never really asked though) to get a "DEMO" for an entire day. If you can, all the more power to ya's, but as far as a walkbehind goes, a full day is just stretching it. Most of my dealers have "acres" out back to "DEMO" on. And I'm sure that they'd rather have me/you REMAIN on their property during this "TEST DRIVE". After all, if you DONT know what you are buying, why would a dealer let just any Joe Blow come out and basically "rent" one for FREE for the day? Plus, how are you going to know how to operate one?

As for the original question....I am not "UP" on current prices of mid size walkbehinds. I would be guessing at $2200 (belt) and up to $5000 for hydro. Both brands listed are comparable, and SCAG still builds a decent WB. The field is narrowed between SCAG and EXMARK when it comes to WB's. ZTR's, that is another story.

Flex...

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -------------------------------------------------- no pic -------------are you happsie

I'ze be happsie Brad!

:D

Richard Martin
09-25-2002, 06:45 AM
Scag48 wrote:

No slippage, faster reverse (no assist), and more maintenance friendly.

Again you attack beltdrive mowers with incorrect information.

Slippage may have been a problem with beltdrives at one time but not anymore. If you ask current owners of newer beltdrives on Lawnsite if they have slippage problems they will say "no".

Also, in what respect is a hydro more "maintenance friendly" than a beltdrive?

geogunn
09-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
Scag48 wrote:

No slippage, faster reverse (no assist), and more maintenance friendly.

Again you attack beltdrive mowers with incorrect information.

Slippage may have been a problem with beltdrives at one time but not anymore. If you ask current owners of newer beltdrives on Lawnsite if they have slippage problems they will say "no".

Also, in what respect is a hydro more "maintenance friendly" than a beltdrive?

BRAVO richard....

I will even follow that some owners of older belt drives don't have belt slippage. and of course I mean ME!

after the (only) drive pulley tune up last year you can't make my belts slip. the tires spin first!

and I don't know about the maintainance thing. I maintain my equipment every day that I use it. and I suspect that is why I have such good results from my cars, trucks and mowing equipment.

GEO

mklawnman
09-25-2002, 02:43 PM
Go with the Scag
I bought a Scag 52inch WB this past April, hydro, with 17Kaw on it and after using it for two weeks i mastered it with ease. It is a fixed deck, so i had to play around with the spacers under the deck so that it wouldnt scalp. Once i got that set up its cutting like a champ, and striping like one too. Thing is built to take abuse i say, and there's plenty of power. Paid $5000 for mine with a Jungle Jim. Hydro is the way to go, less worry about belts slipping and such.
Matt

CLM1103
09-25-2002, 08:12 PM
Geogunn...I have just recently started having some belt slippage on my Scag WB. Can you give more info about your drive pully tune-up? Last year, even in the rain, I had no sliplpage. Thanks for any advice.

dlandscaping
09-25-2002, 08:48 PM
O here we go again BHB and Scag48 the most knowledgable people on this site. Check their ages and do a search on what they've used etc.
Belt drive is a good start up mower. A 36 metro (exmark) with bag is about $2500. Its a heavy duty machine cuts great but if you have large yards without gates go bigger.
Hydro has positive reverse which not all belt drives have. They are better in tight quarters and on hills IMHO.
Once again Scag has over exaggerated the belt drive slippage that i have never had. Ask him this. How many hours has he got behind a belt drive? 0!

Scag48
09-25-2002, 09:03 PM
dlandscaping-You just can't leave it alone, can you? Belt slippage is a problem in wet conditions, (sorry I didn't mention that Richard and Geogunn, that's what I meant with belt slippage). Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy a belt drive. They're about $2,000 less than a hydro for a fixed deck belt and only $1,000 less than hydro for a floating deck belt. Faster reverse for tight spots, better on hills, NO chance of slippage whatsoever (wet conditions). With hydros, you just have the fluid to change annually and with a belt drive, you could end up replacing a belt or pulley every year instead of changing fluid. I will give belts a benefit of being easy fix the whole thing if the system goes out and on a hydro you've got all the pumps and everything to fix. What I'm trying to say is there is less to go wrong with the hydros. I guess you could say they're a little more realiable? Whatever you buy, make sure you've got a good dealer.

dlandscaping
09-25-2002, 09:38 PM
Now a hydro is more reliable??
You have no clue as to what we are discussing here. Hydros most change fluid every 200 hours for some people thats 5 times a season of messy fluid changing and it adds up.
I buy belts wholesale all 4 for $75 and with about 700 hours have no need to replace any. Pulley replacement? what pulleys have do u replace?? I tightened my blade belt once after running doubles in the fall last year. When are you getting this belt slippage you talk about. You never had a belt drive so how can you say that it exists or do other idiots tell you about it. If its been pouring and its raining in buckets why the hell would you try to mow a lawn? Hell you'll put ruts all over the place. In light rain never had a problem here. Why people buy belt drives? lets see a cheaper mower to get into the Biz, an inexpensive mower to run for your crews, hydros dont have advantages in huge fields only in tight quarters. You might not be as fatigued but you are not making any more time a deck is a deck.

I will give belts a benefit of being easy fix the whole thing if the system goes out and on a hydro you've got all the pumps and everything to fix. What I'm trying to say is there is less to go wrong with the hydros. I guess you could say they're a little more realiable?

Hey Einstein,
You just contradicted yourself. Drive out on belt drive replace belt or tranny. With a hydro sometimes it is much more expensive, hydro pumps and motors hoses etc. Sometimes such as on a Grasshopper I read about on here it costs more to fix the hydro drive system then the mower was worth. I dont know where you get your info but please dont share it with us. There is a search button at the top of the page on the right for you and BHB to use to get some accurate info.

I thought both you kids blocked my posts anyways.

Evan528
09-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Scag48
slippage). Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy a belt drive.

Ill tell you why! I can find alot better ways to spend my 2,000 extra dollars a hydro would cost. I have operated strict belt drives walkbehind in my business for the past 8 years. To me the diffrence is like comparing a Toyata camry to a Cadilac Escalade. Both do the job.....one is just is more luxurious! reverse is nice on a walkbehind.... but not nessesary. Im 18 years old...Pulling the machine backwards is not a problem when needed! In terms of belt slippage...if its raining that hard to make the belts slip baldly I dont want to be out mowing anyway!!!!! There is just no way i could justify spending 5,000 dollars on a walk behind!

Scag48
09-25-2002, 10:03 PM
Exmark recommends that you change hydro fluid every year. 250 hours when the machine is new and anually after that. I had the chance to go out and mow with Acute Cut, a member on this site. He mows 5 days a week, rain or shine, and doesn't have time to screw around with the rain. The day I mowed with him it was raining and the lawns didn't rut up as bad as you think they do. BTW, he was running a 52" Turf Tracer. I don't know how you guys let the rain run your business if you have a bunch of lawns to mow. I don't get much rain so I'm kind of thankful for that, but if I did, I'd mow them anyway.

Evan-I can kind of see why someone that is running ZTR's might run on belts. If you're using a ZTR more than a w/b, I can see why you would run a belt drive. For someone strictly running w/bs, I believe that hydro is the way to go.

Administrator
09-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Numerous complaints so about this thread so I am closing it.