PDA

View Full Version : How cold is too cold for spring clean up?

LawnGuy35
03-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I have several spring clean ups scheduled over the next few weeks. One was supposed to be today, but my customer called and said he thought it was too cold and didn't want to risk harming his lawn. It's only supposed to get up to 40 today, and right now it's only 28. As you can imagine, that means a lot of leaves are stuck to the ground and there'd be a lot of stress on the lawn to rake them up. Later this week it's supposed to hit the mid 50's, so I didn't mind rescheduling.

Anyway, do you wait until the weather warms up to a certain temp before scheduling your spring clean ups, or do you just do them no matter what the temp is?

Pressedun
03-28-2011, 11:44 AM
I'm waiting til it warms up, like you said, the leaves are frozen and will be stuck to the ground. I'm not in a huge rush to get the couple left that I have done, got most of mine in in the past few weeks.

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I would hold off till better days But if customer can t wait tell them up front may look better if we wait till warm weather

XLS
03-28-2011, 04:28 PM
we dont bother working if the temps are below 40 for the low we look for 50's to kick off our work it leads to a higher production rate and happier crews

Mark Oomkes
03-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Generally speaking, if there is snow on the ground, it's a good idea to hold off.

mjlawncare
03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
still cold here also i see a handful of landscapers out today but its really windy plus theres still some snow in a few yards possible noreaster friday this weather sucks

yardatwork
03-28-2011, 04:43 PM
I had a retaining wall project/patio/major scape of a new house scheduled to start today...the retaining wall was to be started today...NO WAY...I canceled because it was 18 degrees this morning and a high of 35 today! That's a tad too cold!

93Chevy
03-28-2011, 08:34 PM
We've been working all of March unless there was snow on the ground doing cleanups. If the leaves are frozen, do something else until they thaw.

Unless you're not in a rush, then wait, but might as well do something instead of sitting at home.

tlc1994
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I have several spring clean ups scheduled over the next few weeks. One was supposed to be today, but my customer called and said he thought it was too cold and didn't want to risk harming his lawn. It's only supposed to get up to 40 today, and right now it's only 28. As you can imagine, that means a lot of leaves are stuck to the ground and there'd be a lot of stress on the lawn to rake them up. Later this week it's supposed to hit the mid 50's, so I didn't mind rescheduling.

Anyway, do you wait until the weather warms up to a certain temp before scheduling your spring clean ups, or do you just do them no matter what the temp is?

Temp here is about 78 degrees right now! -Southern California

Smallaxe
03-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Temp here is about 78 degrees right now! -Southern California

Hahaha, Stuff It... :)

Smallaxe
03-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Actually, spring cleanup shouldn't be done with a rake... too easy to tearout live roots from the recently thawed soil... I wait until a section is opened up and run over it with a blower... Usually can't start until early afternoon...

Right now of course we are covered by the radioactive snow...

nobagger
03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Ive seen companies around here start as soon as most of the snow is melted. Last year I actually saw a company laying mulch in March, no one typically gets started around here until the second week of April or so, and yes it snowed a couple times after that company was done. Its too friggen cold out to do anything right now IMO. We're just thawing out from plowing and supposed to get another snow storm this weekend. I don't mind working in cool weather but when its 24 degrees out...thats a bit too cold for me.

Mark Oomkes
03-29-2011, 11:52 AM
Ive seen companies around here start as soon as most of the snow is melted. Last year I actually saw a company laying mulch in March, no one typically gets started around here until the second week of April or so, and yes it snowed a couple times after that company was done. Its too friggen cold out to do anything right now IMO. We're just thawing out from plowing and supposed to get another snow storm this weekend. I don't mind working in cool weather but when its 24 degrees out...thats a bit too cold for me.

I've seen "competitors" by me out in February even installing mulch.

Rather humorous when spring does actually arrive, that it has lost it's color and looks as gray as last season's mulch. Personally, as a customer, I wouldn't pay.

93Chevy
03-29-2011, 07:59 PM
If you're doing dozens of HOAs, retirement communities, commercial complexes, etc, the customers DO pay and probably have little say when mulch is installed due to contract terms. If you have all that work also, you need to start early so you're not doing spring maintenance in August. Just depends on your workload; we've been doing cleanups all of March and been laying mulch for over a week.

reliablelawn
03-29-2011, 08:49 PM
What does a spring cleanup generally entail?

93Chevy
03-29-2011, 08:51 PM
What does a spring cleanup generally entail?

Removing leaves and debris from lawn areas and beds, cutting ornamental grasses, fixing plow damage, a light pruning of shrubs, and edging and mulch. Generally. Some people power rake, aerate and/or overseed.

Herbert02
03-29-2011, 10:18 PM
I try to get as many done before we start or mowing routes. Cold weather doesnt matter much as long as the sun is out. Normally start mowing by the 3rd week in April in the Cleveland area.