PDA

View Full Version : Who provides Health Insurance for workers?

Landscraper1
03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I would like to know how many of you provide health insurance to your employees. If you do can you answer these questions?

1/ What percentage of it do you pay?
2/ If they are lay-ed off in the winter, do you continue paying that percentage?
3/ Are you thinking of making any changes in the future, regarding health Ins.?

With the way the economy has been affecting my bottom dollar, I need to make some cuts. I have been providing health Ins. for over 15yrs. I pay 50% and continue paying even when employees are lay-ed off in the winter. I was told by my accountant that they should be responsible to pay the full amount while lay-ed off.

4/ Do you agree with my accountant?

Thanks, any input is appreciated.

srl28
03-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Not saying I don't agree with the accountant, but just not sure how that would fly with your guys. I'm sure they would hate paying for something like that, especially a benefit, during the slow off season and beind laid off.

Don't currently have/pay benefits for my guys but its something I've considered for a long time.

Landscraper1
03-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Not saying I don't agree with the accountant, but just not sure how that would fly with your guys. I'm sure they would hate paying for something like that, especially a benefit, during the slow off season and beind laid off.

Don't currently have/pay benefits for my guys but its something I've considered for a long time.

I was going to take extra out of their check each week to put towards paying the winter months.

GrassesGuy
03-28-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm medium sized and can no way imagine even affording health insurance even though I would like too. How do you afford it and what company do you use.

Landscraper1
03-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm medium sized and can no way imagine even affording health insurance even though I would like too. How do you afford it and what company do you use.

Tufts. It is a large expense but, with Oboma in office, you will be forced to provide it or get fined.
I had no problem offering it before the economy down turn. Now, many are lowballing, which has made profits go down.

nlminc
03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Tufts. It is a large expense but, with Oboma in office, you will be forced to provide it or get fined.
I had no problem offering it before the economy down turn. Now, many are lowballing, which has made profits go down.

You will NOT be forced to provide HC for your employees unless you have more than 50 working for you. You will get a 35% tax credit for your HC this year and in 2014 you will get a 50% tax credit for your HC......thanks to Obama.

AI Inc
03-29-2011, 05:26 PM
You will NOT be forced to provide HC for your employees unless you have more than 50 working for you. You will get a 35% tax credit for your HC this year and in 2014 you will get a 50% tax credit for your HC......thanks to Obama.

Or unless you are a construction based company with a payroll in excess of $500,000.

Stillwater
03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Landscraper1;3960713]4/ Do you agree with my accountant?/QUOTE]

Yes, and with enthusiasm, do I agree with your accountant.

nlminc
03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Or unless you are a construction based company with a payroll in excess of $500,000.

Al,
I don't believe that is correct. Originally it was 250,000, but that was thrown out at the last minute and the min 50 employee was adopted without at payroll limit. Besides, we're in the agri business and not the construction business.

Landscraper....I agree with your accountant. When I lived in MA I paid for my lead employee's HI thruough the winter when he collected and learned the hard way it was not worth it. Let them pay through the winter...

AI Inc
03-30-2011, 07:41 AM
Al,
I don't believe that is correct. Originally it was 250,000, but that was thrown out at the last minute and the min 50 employee was adopted without at payroll limit. Besides, we're in the agri business and not the construction business.

Landscraper....I agree with your accountant. When I lived in MA I paid for my lead employee's HI thruough the winter when he collected and learned the hard way it was not worth it. Let them pay through the winter...

No that held, and those who do more installs then mait are considered const co's. I got an email from my accountant about it when the bill passed.

AI Inc
03-30-2011, 07:44 AM
If you make an employee pay it over the winter , will he be back. Or let it drop, lets face it if he is a younger guy HI may not mean jack to him.

Thats one thing the gvmt failed to realize when talking about all the uninsured was the simple fact that 71% of the uninsured can afford it but dont want it as they feel it is a bad investment , and in most cases they are correct.

nlminc
03-30-2011, 10:20 AM
No that held, and those who do more installs then mait are considered const co's. I got an email from my accountant about it when the bill passed.

Maybe your accountant needs to get updated...

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/03/25/with-merkley-amendment-gone-health-care-reform-affects-only-large-contractors/

Sen. Jeff Merkley, D-Ore., had attached an amendment to the bill that would have required contractors with five or more employees and payrolls of more than $250,000 to provide health coverage. That amendment didnít survive the reconciliation process between Senate and House versions of the bill.

Landscraper1
03-30-2011, 10:37 AM

This is only the beginning. Government should not force any business owner to get it. I have offered HI to my employees for 15yrs at my own free will. This was considered the "land of the free". Our freedoms are slowly diminishing. "Land of the free" now stands for, the illegals coming here to get everything for "free". Us hardworking Americans have to pay for it all.:usflag::cry::usflag::cry::usflag::cry::usflag::cry::usflag::cry::usflag::cry: