PDA

View Full Version : Watering Guidelines

ron mexico75
03-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Do any of you that install landscaping leave the customer a printed handout that expalins how and when to water newly installed trees and shrubs? This would be to prevent multiple callbacks from clients who never water once you leave and then want things replaced that were neglected?

If you have something, would you mind posting it?

Patriot Services
03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
I don't have a specially written instruction sheet per se. I put notes in the memo box of the invoice I give them. I try to talk them into short aftercare plan for extra money. If they go for it I may offer a short warranty on whatever I install. I won't warranty anything in a non irrigated yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

ron mexico75
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, maybe a follow-up program. This yard I might be doing is shaded but not irrigated. Maybe I'll just come up with a simple hand out that says when and why to water newly planted material. It's scary that there are so many people out there that don't realize stuff has to "take" before you can rely on nature to take care of it by itself.

Patriot Services
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
I cringe whenever a customer says "that's ok I'll take care of it myself".
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Just tell them it needs to be 'flooded' a couple more times, in the next few days to be sure all the airbubbles are out...
I usually don't even ask, I already have the extra time in mind when I plant...

Patriot Services
03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
My favorite was the customer that called to complain I hadn't spread the mulch all the way to the tree, I just left it piled in a ring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
03-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Tree Volcanos are important, not just to suffocate the crown, but also to ensure that water runs away from the root ball... :)