PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping Steep Slope

Blmtlandscapes
03-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm really stuck on what to do about a steep slope. The customer can't afford to do retaining walls and terraces so she is looking for the best way to landscape the slope without using grass. I'm thinking about planting some shade liking ground covers and shrubs but the problem is if I mulch afterwards the mulch will probably wash away since the slope is very steep. Has anyone tried stone on a very steep hill? Should I just plant and not mulch? Any help would be great, thanks

FLCthes4:11-12
03-28-2011, 05:54 PM
Lay curlex and plant lots of ground covers through it.

93Chevy
03-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Do a bed of river gravel, with boulders and shade-loving plants (assuming the area is shady). River gravel will hold, not wash out, and won't need replaced. Get a variety of color shrubs and perennials.

Gmgbo
03-28-2011, 10:24 PM
large 3-5 inch river rock if they have the money, or modified rip-rap

93Chevy
03-29-2011, 05:55 AM
River gravel is less expensive than mulch. But I charge more because it's heavier and harder to work with. You can get a better profit margin on river gravel.

Blmtlandscapes
03-29-2011, 06:14 PM
thanks for the responses, I might go with some rip rap since they are on a budget. Should I install landscape fabric before I put the rip rap down, or is it unnecessary in this case?

93Chevy
03-29-2011, 07:03 PM
Always use fabric under stone. It keeps the dirt separate from the stone, so you don't see dirt rising though the stones. Additionally, it does a better job at keeping weeds at bay because while weeds will seed in the little bit of silt throughout the stones, weeds obviously cannot seed in actual stone.

Gmgbo
03-29-2011, 08:15 PM
unless you get a lot of rip rap you will kinda of have to piece it together like a puzzle to reduce the size of the gaps so you dont see the paper underneith