PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a truck but need some input

S man
03-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Recently I went and bought a new 2011 f150 with the smaller 3.7 v6. The truck is great for driving but when pulling you can feel it and it gets the same gas mileage as with a v8. I really wanted a chevy or ford 3/4 ton used. Should I hold onto the truck for a while then sell it to get the hd or sell it now and get a used one then trade up to a nicer one like a diesel when I start doing landscaping in a year or so.
Right now I pull a 6 x12 v nose wanting to move up to a tandem 14 or 16'. But all that can wait a year or so if I squeeze both mowers in there.

Any input would be helpful.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-28-2011, 11:56 PM
how much did you drop on a 2011 f150? 35k at leased

My advice to you would be to trade it in for a lightly used f350 2008 f350 you can find anywhere easily for 30k, put the other 5k into your business and advertise and letter the truck up.

With the 350 you can trailer a 16ft'er like its nothing, and the payload is almost 4k pounds, vs, 1000 in your 150.

KrayzKajun
03-29-2011, 12:03 AM
wht happened to the tundra???

DoetschOutdoor
03-29-2011, 06:08 PM
O boy, you are not in a good position now...selling a brand new vehicle within the first couple years is realllllllly going to hurt you financially. And its not a fair statement to say that you are getting the same mileage as with a V8 because that is simply not true. A small v6 like that is going to struggle pulling a loaded enclosed trailer where a v8 wouldnt even notice a trailer that small. I say keep the truck a few years and pay her down. Unless you paid outright cash for the truck, there will be no way on earth you can sell it because you will never get what you paid for it and bank prolly has the title (again, unless you paid cash)

AI Inc
03-29-2011, 06:17 PM
O boy, you are not in a good position now...selling a brand new vehicle within the first couple years is realllllllly going to hurt you financially. And its not a fair statement to say that you are getting the same mileage as with a V8 because that is simply not true. A small v6 like that is going to struggle pulling a loaded enclosed trailer where a v8 wouldnt even notice a trailer that small. I say keep the truck a few years and pay her down. Unless you paid outright cash for the truck, there will be no way on earth you can sell it because you will never get what you paid for it and bank prolly has the title (again, unless you paid cash)

That pretty much sums it up.

S man
03-29-2011, 08:13 PM
I had an not too old truck I traded so my loan is not that bad at all. It looked like a 2 to 3k hit if I sell now. And I agree the v8 especially the new 5.0 ford motor is a beast and prob gets better fuel economy with pulling. If I could get out of this one and grab a v8 that would be good. I got a really good deal on this one so the debt is not too bad.

What about leasing??
Either that or buy USED from now on

Hawg City Lawns
03-30-2011, 01:12 AM
keep it chalk it up as a mistake but itll pull a trailer maybe not as efficiently but it will pull one maybe look into regearing if its that important to you... i had a 4.3l chevy forever i pulled all kinds of stuff with it landscape trailers boat trailers car trailers you name it sure you felt it more and it took a while to get up to speed but it would pull down a house if you wanted it to

but i have to admit once you go to a v8 youll always wonder why you didnt get one sooner

VirginiaLawnCare
03-30-2011, 09:56 AM
Ohhhhhh some of you guys are crazy!! ha ha. I would never even thought about buying that but then again I am a diesel snob and half of you love your gas motors.

If it was me I would get rid of it real quick and a hurry. Unless you can fit everything on your 6X12 this year.

f50lvr2
03-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I say get rid of it quick. Take it to the dealer you bought it from, tell them you made a mistake and need more of a truck. They MIGHT give you a good deal trading it in on at least the 5.0 F150 which would definitely be plenty for your trailer and load requirements.

S man
03-30-2011, 03:03 PM
I say get rid of it quick. Take it to the dealer you bought it from, tell them you made a mistake and need more of a truck. They MIGHT give you a good deal trading it in on at least the 5.0 F150 which would definitely be plenty for your trailer and load requirements.

Yes I would do that. The pulling jumps from 6000 lbs to 10000 lbs. Plus the brake controller comes standard.