PDA

View Full Version : Blade sharpening - Changing angle.. affect cut?

Lawn-Scapes
09-25-2002, 01:00 AM
If you changed the angle by a few degrees.. Do you think it would it affect the way the blade cuts?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-25-2002, 02:13 AM
Which way?

I perfer a good knife like edge over the steep edge. The steep edge I feel does not cut as smoothly.

Lawn-Scapes
09-25-2002, 02:21 AM
Either way... I was just wondering if it made a difference. I don't see how it would... as long as the edge was sharp.

BTW.. are you going to send me pics of the spreader with electric open/close set up?

LAWNGODFATHER
09-25-2002, 03:34 AM
A blade that has not had an edge put on it will cut (tear) grass, but a sharp one will leave less stringers and provide a better cleaner cut and apperance.

I'll take some in the AM, I just got it working the way I want it to.

No electrics, a cable now.

awm
09-25-2002, 08:09 AM
the less angle the better the cut.
but u are rite. it will cut fine. normally it will hold edge a little better. but this depends more on how u are sharpening..
i add that as i assume u are trying for a little more time between sharpenings.
if u use a grinder ,only way, is slow with the fine wheel. heat will make the edge fragile,even at 45 degrees. hope this helps

Jimbo
09-25-2002, 12:45 PM
There must be a reason that grinder/blade MFG's recommend 60-degrees. I guess it is the angle that provides best compromise between good cut and long life?

I think less angle say 30-degrees would cut better but not last as long.

Jim

Jimbo
09-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah....blade will probably get hot and lose temper if you try to put too thin an edge on it.

Jimbo;)

TLS
09-25-2002, 01:29 PM
Jimbo,

I think you got your Degrees a little confused.

Mower manufacturers recommend a 30 degree edge.

I've seen some "new" blades come with as steep as a 40 degree edge, and I've experimented with as shallow as a 20 degree (long and thin) edge.

I've also seen some competitors blades at the local lunch stop with REAL steep probably 45-55 degree edges and rather dull. It seems easier to sharpen a blade to a steeper angle, because you'll be taking off less material. Your sharpened edge is actually shorter. This Steep angle sharpening is best for high impact mowing, as the edge is tougher and will take a harder hit before damage becomes evident. I sharpen most Bush Hog type blades at the steeper (35-40) angle. For toughness, and general ease of sharpening out LARGE gouges.

The LOWER angled edge (<30 degrees) may save some horespower and cut slightly better, but small sticks will quickly bend and nick the blade tip surface, as it is much thinner.

As a rule though, I stick to a 30 degree angle for my current equipment.