PDA

View Full Version : Best Brand of heads?

ranger520
09-25-2002, 12:55 AM
I am probly shooting myself in the foot for asking this question this way but i am looking for opinons on what are the best brand of heads out there. I am thinking of instaling my own system for the first time and want to do it right. Also, any online suppliers would be great.

Thanks
scott

HBFOXJr
09-25-2002, 07:09 AM
Hunter I20 rotors and Professional or Institutional sprays have worked well for me. RainBird and Toro brag about their heavier plastic bodies, thicker stainless steel etc. I have yet to see where the stuff they brag on materially effects performance. I've never had a problem with a Hunter srpinkler body failing. Never.

DanaMac
09-25-2002, 09:59 AM
Hunter, on all parts. Rotor heads, spray heads, valves, timers.

PR0 TURF
09-25-2002, 10:40 AM
I also agree with Hunter products being the best & most reliable...we install the PGP heads out here

ranger520
09-25-2002, 02:57 PM
Can you guys recommend a good online sourse or do you all by from a local supply house?

Chuck Sinclair
09-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Hunter all the way, we buy from our local Ewing irrigation.

Arnold
10-26-2002, 12:42 AM
I would too have to say HUNTER in my experience I love Hunter products.

turfman59
10-26-2002, 08:10 PM
What ever you do stay out of Home Cheapo or sLowes... By the best brand in the industry " Hunter or Rainbird" it will flatter your installation work. Before installing I would spend the winter reading post's and asking questions. I just hope you know someone who knows how its done, to fall back on. My big question is who is designing it for you??
Good Luck Bruce
Aqua Turf Lawnsprinkling and Desogn

MikeK
01-16-2003, 04:30 PM
I would have to say that the brand of head does not matter so much, Find one that is easy to adjust and reliable. Hunter, rainbird, Irritrol and Toro are all fine in my book. At the end of the day what matters most is the design of the system and the quality of the Install. Personally, I prefer Irritrol CR 500 and Toro 570Z's

SamIV
01-16-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike, how long have you been installing Toro and the Irritrol rotor which is also now the same as the Toro Super 800. I have used those rotors as well as the Toro spray heads.

I have installed Toro, Rain Bird, Hunter, and Irritrol. Was just curious how well all worked. After two years, I've had not one failure on any product. The only problem I've had is with improper installation which was done by me. After I fixed the install all have worked fine.

I buy my drip products from a Weathermatic distributor. Maybe I will try these next even though I have been using all Hunter lately. I also agree with what you said on install and design.

Thanks
Sam

Clay
01-16-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by ranger520
Can you guys recommend a good online sourse or do you all by from a local supply house?

www.ewing1.com

Take your pick... they sell most brands, but I also prefer the Hunter I20's... and 4" sprays....

Good Luck, Clay

MikeK
01-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi Sam,
Most of our business is what we call a "do it yourself" system. Together with the customer, we pull the pipe, get the water coming out of the house, install the valves and get water flowing though all the tubes.
Basically all the customer has left to do on his/her own is install the heads and wire the controller and rain sensor. We spend quite a bit of time explaining these steps.
We used to use hunter, no complaints but we found it more difficult to explain to our customers how to adjust them. The Irritrol CR500 is 10 TIMES easier to adjust and gives a beautiful spray pattern, plus we can buy it pretty cheap. For the contractor that is used to them, the Hunter is no problem to adjust but for the average homowner, it's a bit more difficult than the CR 500. We want to keep things as simple as possible for our customers and that's the main reason why we switched.

I had the chance to try some prototype Toro simple set heads this past fall and even like them better than the Cr500. I guess they will not be available in quantity until 2004 but I will seriously consider switching to them.

MikeK
01-16-2003, 11:51 PM
Sam,
Just read your reply again and just realized that I did not answer your question.
We have used the CR500 ever since they came out. ( 2 1/2 years)
We have had some problems with them, as I'm sure is common with any new product but Irritrol backed us up 100% and not only covered the head under warranty but paid our labor and travel time to switch them out.
now that's a company that stands behind the product.
The toro super 800 is the exact same head but the Toro Execs have a larger ego and feel they need to charge $1.00 more per head because it says Toro. I'll stay with Irritrol thank you!

devildog
01-17-2003, 04:46 AM
We like/use ESP clocks, Toro valves, K-Rain/PGP rotors, 570 or 1800 depending on circumstances. If you have not used the K-Rains, find them & try them. They are "the industry secret" at this time. with regards... devildog

JeffY
01-17-2003, 01:44 PM
We like to use Rainbird Clocks and sprays, Hunter PGP gear drives, and Irritrol Valves. We think each one gives the best option of adjustablitiy and price in each category of equipment.

SamIV
01-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Mike, thanks for the reply. I was curious becauce I have 2 cases just sitting in my garage. Guess I need to put them to good use.
Bought them to replace some Rain Bird R-50's that a customer spaced 35 feet on 3/4 inch at 30 psi using one of the Rainbird mail in designs, and they don't spray head to head to head (Brown Spots). The Irritrol does but customer changed her mind after paying for the rotors and only got a few changed out.

Devildog, thought you would like to know that an Irritrol rep at the IA show here Last October told me that K-Rain makes the guts of this rotor and Irritrol manufactures everthing on the outside.

MattW
03-07-2003, 12:19 PM
Well this is what I use....

For clocks I use the Pro C....Great clock, plenty of room for expansion w/ adding the mods. + very easy to add a remote to, (sell allot of the remotes w/ after sales)

For valves....I like the Rainbird 100-dv-mb (they seem to close faster than the hunters)

For rotors.... Hunter pgp's, I-20's, and the I-40's

Sprays.... 12A and 15A do a nice job (fully adjustable 360 degree spray)

Rain sensor... mini clicks

Hope this helps.....
Green Grass Irrigation and Lawn Care

MikeK
03-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Speaking fo rain sensors, you guys should try the Wireless rain sensor by Rand D Engineering.

It's a bit more expensive than the Mini click but it's wireless and only takes about 7-10 minutes to install. Because of the labor savings, we can actually sell the wireless a bit cheaper.
In my opinion, there is nothing more frustrating than spending 1 1/2 hours running a wire through the rafters for a mini click.
More Info Here:

http://www.rainsensor.com/

Mark B
03-08-2003, 09:25 PM
I use the RB 5000 rotors, hunter or RB sprays
Hunter valves slip x slip
Pro-c controler when I can take someones wife and explain it to them and they get it the first time. To me that is a selling point.