PDA

View Full Version : Who has unbelievable growth? I do.

MOW ED
09-25-2002, 10:01 AM
For the last 3 weeks we have had conditions that are perfect for growing our cool season lawns. I also helped a few out with ap 4 which really has seemed to taken to the crowns. (18-8-18)

I really can show up every 5 days as I am on a 7 day and I have been double and triple cutting some accounts. The trees are still 95% green and only a few of the early droppers have shed any leaves. Its sort of nice that I am still cutting but I know that the bottom has to fall out sometime in the next few weeks.

Anyone else having big growth spurts now? I remember last year sort of just stopped and we had a short break before the trees started to drop.

It has been the best year of mowing for me in the 7 I've been in biz. Summertime wasn't too bad and overall I only missed about 1 week of cutting spread out over the summer. Wow.

Toroguy
09-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Same here...best season yet and have yet to make the 1/3 rule. Only skipped three cuts the entire season, and two came back to haunt me.

My usual slow week between growth and leaves is October 3-10, but this year who knows. Leaves here are turning light green with a patch or two of yellow. But... the green leaves are falling? Mulch kit "on" next week.

Good luck

LAWNS AND MOWER
09-25-2002, 01:52 PM
Our cool season grasses are taking off. Put my fall apps down 2 weeks ago and then had plenty of rain. Suppose to rain through Friday (Damm Hurricane Izzy) and then I´m going out of town Sat till Tues. Weekly accounts will be arse high if I don´t get to them before I split town!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

FrankenScagMachines
09-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Toroguy
Same here...best season yet and have yet to make the 1/3 rule. Only skipped three cuts the entire season, and two came back to haunt me.

I only skipped one and it came back to haunt me bad... :( it was my neighbor, I do it every week same day same time, well a couple weeks back it didnt' look at all like it needed it. Guess what, I skipped it and then the next week (last week) they already had a few leaf sprinkles down so I put on the mulch plug and dam was it high! I had to go slower and mow 1/2" higher and still had to double cut some of that!!! I have my new catcher on now. It is a 30 cu. ft. tow behind trailer. Will be sweet for leaves. Much better than last years setup which was a small 8 cu. ft. catcher mounted on the mower. Constant back and forth emptying! :dizzy:

awm
09-25-2002, 06:04 PM
boys ,glad yaw had a good season . its been good for me ,in that ,ive had to develope other ways to make a buck.
if i keep going ill be selling used equipment as a sideline. among other things
we are now getting the rain and the fall work situation looks pretty good.

Toroguy
09-25-2002, 07:13 PM
BushHogboy,

That is a familiar scenario, ya gotta laugh.

LAWNS AND MOWER and awm,

Tropical Storm Izzy should get things green and growing, the rain bands look incredible...hope it helps. The lean years are a good lesson in ingenuity.

mike payne
09-25-2002, 07:22 PM
We have no growth here. About three inches of rain since June first. Everything is brown.

Expert Lawns
09-25-2002, 07:30 PM
haven't had much rain here either. i rely heavily on my accounts with inground sprinklers. the others are already calling saying "how about every other week from here on out" or "cut as needed, not every week though" i mean, what can ya do? can't control mother nature.

very little rain make me a dull boy :mad:

KirbysLawn
09-25-2002, 10:41 PM
Not me. I sprayed my lawns with Primo Maxx one week prior to seeding and have not mowed in 2 weeks. :D

dlandscaping
09-25-2002, 10:51 PM
All i can say is thank God we are back to weekly cutting now except some trees have lost at least half their lives. This is not normal so it looks to be a short season this year. Aerations beginning now with the promised rain in the forecast.

Redmowers
09-25-2002, 10:55 PM
Cool nights, heavy dew and warm afternoons and I can mow every 5 days or less! What a change from hardly mowing from mid August till second week of Sept. Good thing I had some hedges to do !

Vibe Ray
09-26-2002, 12:06 AM
It's not the height of the grass.
It's how you mow it!

You like? I just came up with it!

Oh ya, I've got unbelievable growth.....it just keeps getting longer and longer. You wouldn't think it to be possible, but I'm at a point where I think it's getting too long! Get your mind out of the gutter!!!

I wish it grew that much, though. would be nice, but down here it just takes too long to get up there!

Grasshog
09-26-2002, 02:07 AM
It was a long hot summer here. Dry as a bone. They even closed the boat ramps on the lake it was so dry. We have had a fair share of light rain in the past two weeks. Man has the grass been growing. Brown one day & 6" tall the next. Thank God

TJLC
09-26-2002, 06:43 AM
Down here the grass is showing NO signs of slowing down. I have to double and triple cut most yards and I mow every 7 days. I havn't had a day off since early June. I know I'm ready for one.

Shady Brook
09-26-2002, 08:32 AM
Kirby you said you applied primo, and now you have not mowed in 2 weeks with a smily face..... Remember buddy, mow means doe :D We want to cut grass, it helps pay the bills! Your scareing me man. :D

Jay

65hoss
09-26-2002, 08:56 AM
Our stuff is finally starting to get into normal growth instead of out of control like its been all year. Thankfully.

LAWNS AND MOWER
09-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by TJLC
Down here the grass is showing NO signs of slowing down. I have to double and triple cut most yards and I mow every 7 days. I havn't had a day off since early June. I know I'm ready for one.
In regard to double and triple cutting, do you use double blades??? I had this problem until I switched to doubles this spring. Can count on one hand how many times I've had to double cut a yard this season. Good Luck!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

bobbygedd
09-26-2002, 01:05 PM
unbelievable growth? man, no grass growin here, the only thing growing is the hair on my mother in laws chin.

HOMER
09-26-2002, 01:38 PM
Gettin' some of that rain here. Things are slowing down a little but at least they're green. I noticed the bahai is really slowing down so now I might not have to double and triple cut------even with doubles!

MacLawnCo
09-26-2002, 01:49 PM
I believe that kirbyslawn has most all his accounts on contracts. With that in mind, I would say he is making out like a bandit. He gets payed to do nothing. Although primo is quite expensive, I believe that i makes up for its cost in time saved or in being able to skip a week or two. That is genius if you ask me.

By the way, Primo is also beneficial to the turf as well. Kirbyslawn can go into great detail, but it definately helps the lawn.

KirbysLawn
09-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Shady Brook
Kirby you said you applied primo, and now you have not mowed in 2 weeks with a smily face..... Remember buddy, mow means doe :D We want to cut grass, it helps pay the bills! Your scareing me man. :D

Jay

Uhmmmmm.....contracts mean anything??? My lawns look better than any around and I'm mowing when I wish, and I'm allowing the new seeds to grow without being hammered by large mowers, and the customers are happy. What more could you ask?

My customers are paying to have a nice lawn...not for how often I mow. They could give a crap how often I mow as long as their's look better that the nieghbors...and that is a fact!

ProSeasons
09-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Hey Kirby!

Primo really thickens it up too, does'nt it? Man, Primo Maxx rules!