PDA

View Full Version : Sthil Yardboss Review

MFNA
03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Looking to purchase a Sthil yardboss to turn over beds before mulch. Does anyone own this machine? if so is it worth it?

Snyder's Lawn Inc
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Looking to purchase a Sthil yardboss to turn over beds before mulch. Does anyone own this machine? if so is it worth it?

What is the yard boss???

GMLC
03-29-2011, 03:34 PM
What is the yard boss???

http://www.stihlusa.com/multitask/multitask-gardening-tool.html

I have been waiting for a review as well. The yard boss has lots of cool attachments like edgers and sweepers. Anyone have one yet?

rlitman
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I had one, and sold it on eBay after two years (bought it used, and made a few bucks selling it too, so I can't complain about it holding it's value).
I never used any attachments except the pick tine cultivator, and the wheel kit (which is a must have).
I had the bed edger wheel, but it never left the box (it just happened to come with it).

For what it is, its a very good machine, and it is oh so portable. It's every bit as good as a Mantis, with similar options, but the Honda FG220 which I replaced it with cultivates the same 15x20 garden in half the time (which isn't surprising, since it's twice the machine, although with many less "options").

On the plus side:
Very light.
Plenty of power for cultivating (it's just Stihl 55 powerhead, but for whatever reason it's more than enough to do what it needs to).
It had many attachments available (the thatcher and sweeper come to mind first).
It is made MUCH better than similar looking mini-tillers.
The weight and balance worked very well, and the position of the engine kept the weight over the toolhead, keeping bouncing to a minimum (except when you hit larger roots).

Some things that may be a pro to some, and a con to others:
It's small.
It's 2 cycle.

I can't really say anything bad, except that it was small and took longer to get the job done than a larger machine. I would still have it, if I hadn't found the Honda on clearance for $250, knowing that I could get over $300 for the yardboss (which I eventually got on eBay, because all I got was lowballers on craigslist at first).

lawnangel1
03-29-2011, 09:22 PM
I had one, and sold it on eBay after two years (bought it used, and made a few bucks selling it too, so I can't complain about it holding it's value).
I never used any attachments except the pick tine cultivator, and the wheel kit (which is a must have).
I had the bed edger wheel, but it never left the box (it just happened to come with it).

For what it is, its a very good machine, and it is oh so portable. It's every bit as good as a Mantis, with similar options, but the Honda FG220 which I replaced it with cultivates the same 15x20 garden in half the time (which isn't surprising, since it's twice the machine, although with many less "options").

On the plus side:
Very light.
Plenty of power for cultivating (it's just Stihl 55 powerhead, but for whatever reason it's more than enough to do what it needs to).
It had many attachments available (the thatcher and sweeper come to mind first).
It is made MUCH better than similar looking mini-tillers.
The weight and balance worked very well, and the position of the engine kept the weight over the toolhead, keeping bouncing to a minimum (except when you hit larger roots).

Some things that may be a pro to some, and a con to others:
It's small.
It's 2 cycle.

I can't really say anything bad, except that it was small and took longer to get the job done than a larger machine. I would still have it, if I hadn't found the Honda on clearance for $250, knowing that I could get over $300 for the yardboss (which I eventually got on eBay, because all I got was lowballers on craigslist at first).

Great review. The yardboss is a nice little machine.