PDA

View Full Version : Return Envelopes?

deere615
03-29-2011, 09:26 PM
Always something that I thought about doing and want to get your take on it. I mean all my bills credit cards, loans, etc all come with a return mailing envelope. Do you guys send a return envelope with all your bills? I obviously wouldn't put postage on them that would get a bit costly.

My bills are setup with a tear-off portion to return on the bottom (I buy special perforated paper for my bills), they would just need fixed a bit to get addresses to show through the envelopes.
Who does it? Is it worth doing?

xclusive
03-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Yes I do include a return envelope with my invoices. On another note what program do you use for your invoices? I currently use quickbooks premier and would like to use perforated paper with a portion to be returned to me like you currently do.

Lux Lawn
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Some of my slow payers get a return envelope already addressed, I try to make it easy on them....just put the check in it stamp & mail.

New Leaf Maint
03-30-2011, 11:31 AM
I also send an invoice with a tear off return tab at the bottom. I also send a return envelope with my invoices that's not stamped. Not one with a window like your talking about but one that has my address pre printed on it with a place to write there return address. There are a few clients that I don't send envelopes to as they send payment through some sort of bill pay service or pay their invoice with pre printed checks that they have envelops for.

I send the envelopes because I think that it adds to the professionalism of my company and makes it that much easier for them to pay and me to get paid. Sometime soon I may start to except credit cards and that might change some things to.

organiclawncanada
03-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I send or leave a return envelope with all invoices and quotes.

Puttinggreens
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Yes, pre printed return envelope with our address and logo. It is one more little thing to help with the image of being professional and also get us paid faster.

AI Inc
03-30-2011, 01:00 PM
I used to , but now it seems more then 1/2 use online bill pay and have no need for it.

srl28
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
For those with the preprinted envelopes, where are you getting them printed? Looking for small ones we can include with our invoices. Smaller than the standard #10 size envelope so that it fits in with our invoice in a a regular size envelope.

organiclawncanada
03-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I print my own. I buy #9 envelopes they fit right inside the #10 with an invoice.

grass-scapes
03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
I buy perforated paper for my invoices AND send return envelopes to most customers. I know the ones that pay online regularly and they dont get a return envelope. The rest do. order a number 9 envelope and it fits in the double window #10. The invoice is printed so that the customers name and address shows in the bottom window and the company name and return address is in the upper window. Return envelopes are pre-printed.

I would like to go with the envelopes that you can re-use for the return envelope, but I can't find where to get them.

Lefet
03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
I also send an invoice with a tear off return tab at the bottom. I also send a return envelope with my invoices that's not stamped. Not one with a window like your talking about but one that has my address pre printed on it with a place to write there return address. There are a few clients that I don't send envelopes to as they send payment through some sort of bill pay service or pay their invoice with pre printed checks that they have envelops for.

I send the envelopes because I think that it adds to the professionalism of my company and makes it that much easier for them to pay and me to get paid. Sometime soon I may start to except credit cards and that might change some things to.

Yes, pre printed return envelope with our address and logo. It is one more little thing to help with the image of being professional and also get us paid faster.

Exactly what they said. Have tear off portion for return.
Looks professional
Return envelope has address on it
Know who uses bill pay, who doesn't. (bill pays dont get envelope)

Last year we did STAMPED return envelopes. This year, cutting that out. Also trying to get more email addresses to not have to send them at all.

deere615
03-30-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes I do include a return envelope with my invoices. On another note what program do you use for your invoices? I currently use quickbooks premier and would like to use perforated paper with a portion to be returned to me like you currently do.
I use excel I set up a real nice, and I have thought about quick books but alot of business's use that and all have the same invoices. I have had comments from customers how nice mine is setup.
I order perforated paper offline its actually laser perforate-real nice stuff. You can get all different types perforated at different lengths.
Some of my slow payers get a return envelope already addressed, I try to make it easy on them....just put the check in it stamp & mail.
Yeah Mine are setup with both addresses and I use double windowed envelopes, no more writing addresses I have been doing that a while. i would do the same with return envelopes just use double window ones.

See I think the double windowed ones real be really easy and yes i think thats a big thing is the professionalism. I do have some that pay through online places and don't even send the slip back so I just wouldn't send them one, I would have to make a list or something so I remember who to send them to. I have only had a few over the years ask for credit cards so probably not right now but maybe sometime in the future

deere615
03-30-2011, 07:24 PM
Exactly what they said. Have tear off portion for return.
Looks professional
Return envelope has address on it
Know who uses bill pay, who doesn't. (bill pays dont get envelope)

Last year we did STAMPED return envelopes. This year, cutting that out. Also trying to get more email addresses to not have to send them at all.

yes I have the tear off portion my return envelops wont need addresses printed because the will be double windowed so once the slip is in there both addresses will show through the window leaving the customer nothing to do

Lefet
03-30-2011, 07:26 PM
Although I would have to admit in some cases it really didn't speed the payment process one iota. Slow payers are going to be slow payers.

deere615
03-30-2011, 08:03 PM
Although I would have to admit in some cases it really didn't speed the payment process one iota. Slow payers are going to be slow payers.

yeah I think I would do it more for the professional thing and an easy way to keep customers happy

Roger
03-30-2011, 09:24 PM
I use QuickBooks to prepare my Invoices. I designed a 8X11.5 page with the bottom third as a tear off (as some have said above). The tear off has my nameaddress in the middle, the customer's name/address in the upper right corner.

I enclose a double window #9 envelope. The tear-off slips in the #9, with the customer's name/address showing through upper right window (small typeface), and my name through the middle window.

Despite making this as simple as possible, I still have some folks who will make the tear-off properly, then dig out their own envelope and write the name/address information on their plain envelope. I've never understood the reason or the pattern.

The #9 double window envelope does not have postage stamp. I expect the customer to supply their own stamp.

Also, I never understand the customer who comes out while mowing. The engine is running WOT, with cutting deck howling, muffs over my ears. They start talking while 20 feet away. Then they seem irritated that I ask them to repeat what they said, after I've shut down. Their question: How much do I owe you? I just don't understand what they did with my Invoice. Grrrrrrr...

Or, somebody will come out while mowing, and hand me a check, while WOT, etc. What happened to my tear-off, my envelope? I usually ask them to put it under the wiper on the driver's side.

As far as improving payment speed, I'm doubting that including an envelope makes a difference. As said above, a slow payer is a slow payer, no matter what you choose.

Just for reference, I bought a new box of 500 #9, double window envelopes at Staples the other day, $46+ for the store brand. Window envelopes are expensive, single more than plain, and double more than single. I don't recall the double #9 being that expensive.

deere615
03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
I use QuickBooks to prepare my Invoices. I designed a 8X11.5 page with the bottom third as a tear off (as some have said above). The tear off has my nameaddress in the middle, the customer's name/address in the upper right corner.

I enclose a double window #9 envelope. The tear-off slips in the #9, with the customer's name/address showing through upper right window (small typeface), and my name through the middle window.

Despite making this as simple as possible, I still have some folks who will make the tear-off properly, then dig out their own envelope and write the name/address information on their plain envelope. I've never understood the reason or the pattern.

The #9 double window envelope does not have postage stamp. I expect the customer to supply their own stamp.

Also, I never understand the customer who comes out while mowing. The engine is running WOT, with cutting deck howling, muffs over my ears. They start talking while 20 feet away. Then they seem irritated that I ask them to repeat what they said, after I've shut down. Their question: How much do I owe you? I just don't understand what they did with my Invoice. Grrrrrrr...

Or, somebody will come out while mowing, and hand me a check, while WOT, etc. What happened to my tear-off, my envelope? I usually ask them to put it under the wiper on the driver's side.

As far as improving payment speed, I'm doubting that including an envelope makes a difference. As said above, a slow payer is a slow payer, no matter what you choose.

Just for reference, I bought a new box of 500 #9, double window envelopes at Staples the other day, $46+ for the store brand. Window envelopes are expensive, single more than plain, and double more than single. I don't recall the double #9 being that expensive.

yes I have my tear off setup like that with their and my address but they are a bit off since envelopes I would be including would be a bit smaller to fit inside the mailing envelope so i would have to edit all my bills a bit

Lefet
03-31-2011, 08:08 AM

Pardon my ignorance but what is "WOT"?

Roger
03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
WOT == wide open throttle

1MajorTom
03-31-2011, 09:06 AM

you can get them a little cheaper at walmart. shipped to the store of your choice for free.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quality-Park-Double-Window-Security-Tinted-Invoice-Check-Envelope-White/14931823

Lefet
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
WOT == wide open throttle

Thanks!!!!

deere615
03-31-2011, 08:38 PM
you can get them a little cheaper at walmart. shipped to the store of your choice for free.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quality-Park-Double-Window-Security-Tinted-Invoice-Check-Envelope-White/14931823

Thats where I get mine walmart. i get #9 double windowed and I actually have a box of smaller double windowed envelopes that fit inside those thats why I am thinking about starting this.

GunnPropertyServices
03-31-2011, 09:17 PM
doesnt anyone email there invoices to there customers? i give the customer a choice when they sign up with me by mail or email. i would say 98% choose email, i try to push them towards it a little bit , its works great for me i send it via quickbooks and costs nothing

Greg78
03-31-2011, 09:50 PM
doesnt anyone email there invoices to there customers? i give the customer a choice when they sign up with me by mail or email. i would say 98% choose email, i try to push them towards it a little bit , its works great for me i send it via quickbooks and costs nothing

We do. All of our customers prefer this. I haven't mailed out an invoice in a year or so. I haven't had anybody request a paper invoice either. Even the older customers have computers and email.

deere615
03-31-2011, 09:53 PM

I do but only a few most are mail

tradeyouraccounts
04-01-2011, 05:02 PM
They are included but are rarely used as most of the payments are sent via online bill pay so it comes straight from the bank. They cost next to nothing so we continue to use them if they are needed.

Darryl G
04-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Yes I sent out a return envelope except for my commercial accounts that send checks out in their own windowed envelopes and those customers that routinely pay with Bill Pay.

If it's a large job I put a stamp on them too but not for routine maintenance invoices. I think it's more professional and more convenient for the customer to send them a return envelope and therefore it's more likely they'll pay in a timely manner. I use the peel & seal type envelopes so they don't even have to lick it, lol. I also like that I can quickly recognize incoming payments in my PO box.

deere615
04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes professionalism and convience are why i want to do it, anything to keep current customers happy and stay with me as opposed to going to someone else