PDA

View Full Version : How soon is too soon to trim shrubs.

IndianaBrian
03-29-2011, 10:54 PM
I had a person call me today that wants shrubs trimmed ASAP. Here in Indiana it is still 40-50's during the day and dipping into high 20's at night. Shrubs are just starting to bud and wondered if way too early...usually do my first trim in June.
Posted via Mobile Device

32vld
03-30-2011, 12:34 AM
It depends on the plant species. Flowering cut after the blooms or you will have cut off the flowers is an example.

Smallaxe
03-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Generally safe for all plants when dormant, generally... However, as stated be sure the variety so you are not cutting off the flowers that formed last fall, but will form on this year's, new wood...

Fruit trees are a special case...

nysuz
04-01-2011, 11:44 AM
depending on the shrubs, most will be fine if trimmed now, as long as the customer knows that you will be trimming flowers in some cases, if they have the neat and tidy bug, chances are the flowers go unnoticed by them anyway. will mean more money for you because most of them will still need that June trimming, it may cause some of them to sucker. we are almost out of dormancy up here.

Lefet
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
I had a person call me today that wants shrubs trimmed ASAP. Here in Indiana it is still 40-50's during the day and dipping into high 20's at night. Shrubs are just starting to bud and wondered if way too early...usually do my first trim in June.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing to do with the question at all, I'm just amazed that you've been a member since 2009 and this is your FIRST POST!!!

How DO you maintain such control???????? :dancing:

IndianaBrian
04-09-2011, 09:28 PM
I trimmed them back today. Didn't get too wild, shaped them more than anything. Thank you all for your advice. I truly appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Leo the Landscaper
04-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Technically, you prune something anytime it is necessary.

There is a difference between pruning and shearing.

A general rule: It is safe to shear shrubs that bloom in June and later in the spring as flower buds have not set i.e. spirea, hydrangea, clethra. Shrubs that bloom in April and May should be sheared after they flower as the flower buds were set last fall i.e. viburnums, forsythia, fothergilla.